“Not up to par with other Ritz properties”

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Key Biscayne
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We have an ocean front suite with 2 baths and a separate sitting area. I would consider the decor and accomedations sub par for a ritz. The location on the beach is wonderful, but this place needs to seriously upgrade to make it feel more like a Ritz property. The breakfast buffet felt institutional and I just don't feel pampered here. Also there are 2 pools here and one of them( the larger of the two) has been closed for the past few days. That means adult pool is now the crowded kid pool. I don't mean to totally trash the place, just have stayed at numerous other Ritz properties... On a good note, had a lovely lunch at the dune beach bar. Delicious! And the service was fantastic

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Ilovemaineusa
Rosie S, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Ilovemaineusa,
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are delighted that you think so highly of our tropical island location and enjoyed your culinary experience in our Dune Restaurant. However, regret that certain aspects of your visit did not meet your expectations and would like the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please contact the Executive Offices at (305) 365-4500, at your convenience, should you wish to further discuss.

We hope that you will visit our Island Oasis again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,145)

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed at the Ritz for a friend getaway. The grounds were beautiful and the service was exceptional is is customary in a Ritz. We had club floor accomodations which I highly recommend if you are a Ritz club member! Jessica was outstanding as a concierge and we later learned that she was in management. Her service and personality were outstanding and very understandable that she is working her way up the corporate ladder with the Ritz.

If you are wanting a relaxing getaway without the crowds of Miami stay in Key Biscayne at the Ritz and take a car if you decide to go out on the town one night!: )

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed 4 nights on business. The room, location, setting and service was exceptional. My room had an ocean view on the 12th floor with a balcony. I actually would give it 4 1/2 stars and the only reason I didn't do 5 is the coffee has not high quality which is expected in a facility of this class. I like bold full body Java and I would rate this in the range of Maxwell house. I was hoping it was just the coffee in the room which was branded "Ritz Carlton" but the coffee throughout the hotel was the same. They didn't have a coffee bar or star bucks near by which made 4 days of sub-par coffee unbearable. Another annoying thing was that the TV guide only gave the channel listings but not a listing by time and channel of what was playing so it you couldn't see what was on all the channels or what was coming on next. I did get a massage which was excellent and the spa facilities were top notch.

Room Tip: I would recommend an oceanview
Reviewed September 25, 2012

took the family there in july and found the staff to be excellent, the facilities excellent, certainly pricey but we all were majorly disappointed in the food. Extraordinarily expensive and actually just not good. We were told it is the low season and a lot of key people on vacation -ops that is when we were there not a particularily good excuse in my mind. Rooms and views excellent just wish the food had been better.

Room Tip: shop to get a room with a view makes a big difference in the experience.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ejmenke
Rosie S, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Ejmenke,
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback of your recent visit on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to learn you think so highly of our beautiful oceanfront resort and the first class service our ladies and gentlemen provided. At the same time we regret that the food and beverage aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and would be most appreciative for the opportunity to discuss them with you directly. Please contact the Executive Offices at 305 365 4500, at your convenience, so that we may address your concerns further.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to visit our island oasis again one day soon!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This a lovely hotel. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The staff is beyond welcoming and accommodating. They really can't help you enough. We stayed in a suite with a partial ocean view. Our view was the fountains right below us (fourth floor),the ocean and the tip of Miami in the distance. Nice, but very public and loud (fountains). The room was spacious with everything you could want except a good coffeemaker. They need to upgrade that. I think they should change out the carpets and sofa soon. This is after all the, Ritz-Carlton. The restaurant was fantastic start to finish.. Room service food was delicious, with just a couple minor missteps. The spa was serene and peaceful with a competent staff. Bell service was perfect. Overall a quiet little slice of heaven.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over the fourth floor for the best views.
1  Thank SavyTraveler32
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I attended a 3 day conference at this hotel. Initially, my family was going to join me, but then my husband preferred to stay with the kids at home rather than tend to them in unfamiliar surrounds. They would've had a blast here! I'd never stayed at a Ritz-Carlton before and I have to say, I was impressed. Maybe because of the beach location, despite the grand surroundings, it still felt very casual - flips flops and swim suits and maxi dresses. My 3 1/2 year old and 12 month old would have been welcomed with open arms. There is a kid-friendly zero-entry pool separate from the adults-only tranquility pool - no one shushing your kids or giving you nasty looks! Room service had a kids menu and therefore I'm assuming the restaurants would have as well. And they would've spent hours on the beach with the warm Atlantic ocean.

As I was kid-less, I enjoyed the chaise lounges on the beach with bar service (beach chairs were free, umbrella was $20 rental fee) and dined twice at the Cantina Beach restaurant (Mexican) right on the beach. The service was excellent - warm, friendly, and thoughtful, from pool or beach side attendance to housekeeping. Upon arrival at the pool, someone magically appears to towel up your beach chair. Need more shade? Don't struggle with the umbrella! Let the attendant position it over your reclined body. When one day I downed both bottles of (complimentary) water in my room, the next they were replaced with four. The bed was luxuriously comfortable. The bath was elegant, with a single vanity and separate shower, toilet, and large bathtub. I did note the mother-of-pearl back splash before seeing it noted on the website photos - beautiful.

The meeting spaces were beautiful as well. Our conference was in the main ballroom with coffee and lunch provided in the foyer. There was a terrace outside the ballroom where we could enjoy our lunch outdoors - there were tables with umbrellas set up for shade. And the conference lunches, packed in a zippered insulated cooler carrier, were very good.

As expected, the food was very overpriced. I only ate pool side or at Cantina Beach, so I cannot speak to the other restaurants. The food was not avant garde but what was offered was delicious and the portions were generous so one left satiated. For example, I had a burger topped with guacamole and pickled jalapenos poolside and opted for the side salad, which arrived crunchy and fresh, with a side of delicious balsamic vinaigrette. I had two offerings of fajitas at Cantina Beach, one pork ribs and one skirt steak, both excellent as far as fajitas go! One tip: opt for the cilantro rice over the mexican rice. Sadly, I cannot recommend the margarita on the menu at the restaurant - for $18, it still tasted of cheap Jose Cuervo margarita mix. And the food was a bit slow to come out; the chef did send complimentary ceviche as amends.

There are restaurants within walking distance to the hotel and we did dine away one evening. They are not immediately convenient, but by the third night I was ready for a change in food offerings. The concierge orchestrated this outing for a party of 10 on the fly while we were standing in the lobby wondering where to go - very accommodating.

So, all in all, this hotel far exceeded my expectations. I would certainly bring my family along in the future and I look forward to staying at other Ritz-Carlton properties.

Room Tip: The island view rooms still have a view of the ocean across the island.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed on after my husbands company held a meeting there this past week. We are Gold members, so while we did get a suite, we ended up with a parking lot view with a large amount of noise on the 4th floor. Other people in the group with no status ended up higher with ocean views. The room was clean and cleaning staff were friendly. We dined a few times at the hotel restaurant and it was acceptable. Once night we walked off property and when we called back to get a cab back to the Ritz, the operator told us there were no cabs available on the island. I asked for a car or someone from the Ritz to come get us, but they declined and kept me on hold for 15 minutes before I finally gave up.

I played 2 tennis clinics and found them to be pretty good. The pro to student ratio was good, but the courts were soaked for 2 days when the rain hit. If you are going to just play tennis, I would choose another location. The rain was at least 4 inches on most of the courts making it impossible to play. There are plenty of other tennis locations in the US that wouldn't be affected by rain.

As for the Ritz brand, this was middle of the road.

Room Tip: if you face the front, you can hear the valet and the cars being parked. Ask for a room on the other...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Rosie S, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Elizabeth M,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay. It is unfortunate to learn we did not meet your expectations. Please know that your satisfaction is very important to us and would be most grateful for the opportunity to personally speak to you about your overall experience. Please contact the Executive Office at 305 365-4500, at your convenience, should you wish further discuss.

Hotel Management

Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - Miami Brickell Downtown
Marriott Stanton South Beach
#22 of 214 in Miami Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami? Share your experiences!