“Next time I'm bringing my family!”

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Key Biscayne
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Next time I'm bringing my family!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I attended a 3 day conference at this hotel. Initially, my family was going to join me, but then my husband preferred to stay with the kids at home rather than tend to them in unfamiliar surrounds. They would've had a blast here! I'd never stayed at a Ritz-Carlton before and I have to say, I was impressed. Maybe because of the beach location, despite the grand surroundings, it still felt very casual - flips flops and swim suits and maxi dresses. My 3 1/2 year old and 12 month old would have been welcomed with open arms. There is a kid-friendly zero-entry pool separate from the adults-only tranquility pool - no one shushing your kids or giving you nasty looks! Room service had a kids menu and therefore I'm assuming the restaurants would have as well. And they would've spent hours on the beach with the warm Atlantic ocean.

As I was kid-less, I enjoyed the chaise lounges on the beach with bar service (beach chairs were free, umbrella was $20 rental fee) and dined twice at the Cantina Beach restaurant (Mexican) right on the beach. The service was excellent - warm, friendly, and thoughtful, from pool or beach side attendance to housekeeping. Upon arrival at the pool, someone magically appears to towel up your beach chair. Need more shade? Don't struggle with the umbrella! Let the attendant position it over your reclined body. When one day I downed both bottles of (complimentary) water in my room, the next they were replaced with four. The bed was luxuriously comfortable. The bath was elegant, with a single vanity and separate shower, toilet, and large bathtub. I did note the mother-of-pearl back splash before seeing it noted on the website photos - beautiful.

The meeting spaces were beautiful as well. Our conference was in the main ballroom with coffee and lunch provided in the foyer. There was a terrace outside the ballroom where we could enjoy our lunch outdoors - there were tables with umbrellas set up for shade. And the conference lunches, packed in a zippered insulated cooler carrier, were very good.

As expected, the food was very overpriced. I only ate pool side or at Cantina Beach, so I cannot speak to the other restaurants. The food was not avant garde but what was offered was delicious and the portions were generous so one left satiated. For example, I had a burger topped with guacamole and pickled jalapenos poolside and opted for the side salad, which arrived crunchy and fresh, with a side of delicious balsamic vinaigrette. I had two offerings of fajitas at Cantina Beach, one pork ribs and one skirt steak, both excellent as far as fajitas go! One tip: opt for the cilantro rice over the mexican rice. Sadly, I cannot recommend the margarita on the menu at the restaurant - for $18, it still tasted of cheap Jose Cuervo margarita mix. And the food was a bit slow to come out; the chef did send complimentary ceviche as amends.

There are restaurants within walking distance to the hotel and we did dine away one evening. They are not immediately convenient, but by the third night I was ready for a change in food offerings. The concierge orchestrated this outing for a party of 10 on the fly while we were standing in the lobby wondering where to go - very accommodating.

So, all in all, this hotel far exceeded my expectations. I would certainly bring my family along in the future and I look forward to staying at other Ritz-Carlton properties.

Room Tip: The island view rooms still have a view of the ocean across the island.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed on after my husbands company held a meeting there this past week. We are Gold members, so while we did get a suite, we ended up with a parking lot view with a large amount of noise on the 4th floor. Other people in the group with no status ended up higher with ocean views. The room was clean and cleaning staff were friendly. We dined a few times at the hotel restaurant and it was acceptable. Once night we walked off property and when we called back to get a cab back to the Ritz, the operator told us there were no cabs available on the island. I asked for a car or someone from the Ritz to come get us, but they declined and kept me on hold for 15 minutes before I finally gave up.

I played 2 tennis clinics and found them to be pretty good. The pro to student ratio was good, but the courts were soaked for 2 days when the rain hit. If you are going to just play tennis, I would choose another location. The rain was at least 4 inches on most of the courts making it impossible to play. There are plenty of other tennis locations in the US that wouldn't be affected by rain.

As for the Ritz brand, this was middle of the road.

Room Tip: if you face the front, you can hear the valet and the cars being parked. Ask for a room on the other...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rosie S, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Elizabeth M,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay. It is unfortunate to learn we did not meet your expectations. Please know that your satisfaction is very important to us and would be most grateful for the opportunity to personally speak to you about your overall experience. Please contact the Executive Office at 305 365-4500, at your convenience, should you wish further discuss.

Hotel Management
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Our room was spacious, light and clean. We could see the ocean and downtown form our large windows in a superior room on the 6th floor. Spa robes were provided. I like that they had an adult only pool. The water was warm and relaxing. The beach is just steps away. Three of the four restaurants have views of the water. All three have seating outside--so relaxing with the ocean breeze filtering through. The grounds are lush and full of funny little curious iguanas, popping out of the bushes and running along side you on the sidewalk. I was here for a conference and the facilities were excellent. The service was unparalleled. It felt sincere. Gabriel was super friendly at the door. Mario gave us tips on cigar shopping, food in little Havana and gallery shopping. He lives in little Havana. Chef Andres stopped by our table in the cantina. We discussed recipes and brands of knives. Paola, in the cantina, discussed south America and fashion merchandising. The front desk was extremely accommodating. They offer juice, water and champagne to make your experience a little easier. My only criticism is that the restaurants, although excellent, are expensive. For example, I spent 80 dollars on 2 glasses of wine (not an expensive brand), a club sandwich and a shrimp appetizer for 80 dollars, including tip. There are a handful of restaurants within walking distance of hotel. All in all, I had a great time.

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Such fantastic service! From the valet that opened our taxi door, to the bellmen, receptionist, every single person had a smile and something nice to say. Food was very good, albeit very overpriced, but I think that's 100% expected at a hotel like this. Room was very nice, and I have to mention the great quality toiletries - made by Bulgari - no cheap shampoo here! Everyone was always more than willing to help. Beach was also very nice. The weekend we went for, they had scheduled activities like yoga, tennis clinic, spa discounts etc - we were too busy hanging out on the beach to do things like tennis clinic but next time we may have to partake! Tip: around the pool areas there are lemonade stands and also sunscreen and lotion dispensers! Very very good idea and very handy. Tip#2: Friday/Saturday night live salsa quartet at the Lobby/Rumbar area - they are very very good
Key Biscayne tip: Definitely removed from the buzz of south beach, and once you're at the property, you could may be walk to a restaurant or two in the surrounding neighborhood, but really, rent a car! Dont even think twice about it - the Ritz does offer a Hertz rental which we had to use but this is expensive and you can get a better deal getting it from the airport. You'll ahve to deal with the parking cost (?$30/day) but it's worth it if you want to get around Miami/South beach.
Miami tip: we are a couple in our late 20s and while Mangos on south beach is a great hang out when you're there for college spring break, not so much when you're there just as a couple. May be fun with a group of friends but not for a couple looking for a relaxing weekend away. Larios cuban restaurant on south beach is very good. Bongos was not bad. Ladies enter free before 12:30 am I think.

Conclusion: Fantastic, loved it, would 100% go back. This is definitely for people looking for a relaxed getaway, not for college kids looking for spring break type action. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We had an "island view" on the 11th floor and could see across all of Key Biscayne and act...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We have stayed at several Ritz Carlton hotels around Florida. This one was special as you walk through the door they offer you champagne, juice or water. The Champagne was delicious! If fact, since our room wasn't ready yet, we went back for free seconds! Cheers to a great start! Our room was upgraded free of charge to a beautiful oceanfront on the 7th floor. No begging or demanding, just understanding that rooms sometimes are not ready. Beautiful sunrises from our balcony! If I could afford it, I would reserve an ocean view everytime! Pool areas were nice; one for adults and one for families. Food and drink service available at pool. Fresh yummy Mahi Mahi salad or sandwich was yummy. $24 plus tax/tip. Virgin Pina Colada $9. Regular Pina Colada $17. Free ice water! :) This is the Ritz Nice service that I have never seen before was large pump bottles of sunscreen and moisturizer for guests to use FREE! Good one Ritz Carlton! Great pool bar with the designation as the closest Bar in Miami to the beach. Lovely breezes and views! Ask for GIno! He will tell you everything about the area and makes killer drinks and good suggestions on food. Lovely atmosphere! Nice, long wooden pathways to beach lounge chairs makes it easy to walk, push strollers or wheelchairs. Beautiful property for ideal photo ops including a WEDDING GAZEBO. Fun large lizards roaming the property. They don't bother you, but fun to watch! The outdoor Mexican restaurant was also right on the beach. Lovely! My only complaint would be to have beach raked for sea grass.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms have a beautiful view especially the Sunrise! Low hall sound.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Aguascalientes, Mexico
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Ritz-Carlton is the contemporary interpretation of the classic old-style service. Excellent and warmth service, efficient an no-hassles service, great details. I stayed here for two nights attending a conference so we used the conference rooms, and I could have not asked for anything less than great service considering the prestige of the brand and its famous reputation. The personnel showed true commitment to provide excellent service in all the interactions I had with them, calling me by my name- among some 60 other persons in my group!

I was assigned a room in the third floor, facing the walls of the building next door. Not a nice view to enjoy, although I did not complained about it because I was going to spend most of my time out of it, working.

The hotel did not fail to my very high expectations but in just one aspect: The internet service was intermitent and did not helped us achieve our daily tasks. I guess the hotel can not be blamed for this because the service is provided by GuestTek. We contacted the hotel tech-support group and they told us it was a major fault in the area. We could not connect reliably until the second day.

Although I could not enjoy of the amenities and services the hotel has to offer, I would have liked to have the time to do it. I highly recommend it...

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The hotel is beautiful with a georgous private beach location, we had a room overlooking the beach which you get a lovely view of the sunrise. The hotel also smells lovely of candles and roses. We found the staff are very accomodating bringing us water and napkins when we were sitting on some seats in the grounds and the hotel the doormen are lovely particularly some, who get to know you as you stay (which is nice) and meeting you at the door with nice cold water when you arrive back, the staff in the italian resturant are also friendly and easy to talk to and thats where we had breakfast everyday. The rooms were also cleaned to a good standard. The only negative is that there is only one option for parking which is valet parking that costs $32, self parking could be offered.
We stayed for one week, wish we could have stayed longer we will be back next year!!

Room Tip: Beach front rooms get a lovely sunrise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Hotel South Beach
#8 of 208 in Miami Beach
The Setai
#6 of 208 in Miami Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami? Share your experiences!