“Nice restaurant w/ Southern twist”
Review of Verandah

Verandah
Reserve with OpenTable
Verandah is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 162 Restaurants in Amelia Island
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the tranquil Racquet Park tennis facility, diners view the natural canopy of live oak trees from their table at the Verandah restaurant, specializing in southern inspired fare and fresh traditional seafood. Bringing the bounty of the local Atlantic Ocean and neighboring farmers directly to plates of members and guests, the Verandah features an array of the areas freshest seafood in an inviting, family-friendly setting. Take a seat in the bar for the perfect place to end your day or begin your evening with a selection from our approachable list of wines. Gather at the Verandah for happy hour after a day of professional instruction on our acclaimed Har-Tru clay tennis courts or before sitting down to the bounty of the sea in our dining room.
san clemente, CA
“Nice restaurant w/ Southern twist”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Ate here while staying at the resort. Seafood w/ Southern flair. Really enjoyed our meal. Service was VERY attentive. Set in a nice setting by the tennis courts.
Started w/ the deviled eggs & fried green tomatoes. Both were very good. Followed w/ the Catfish and chips. Good, but probably could have been seasoned more for my taste.
Wines were very reasonably priced.
Would eat here again if I ever return.

Omni_Amelia_Island, Manager at Verandah, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your review and positive feedback on the Verandah. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your meal with us and you received attentive service! The deviled eggs and fried green tomatoes are both fabulous but I'll share your comment on the catfish with our chef. We hope to see you again!

Jacksonville, Florida
“Save your money”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Everyone in our party of 9 agreed that this was absolutely the worst meal we've ever eaten at The Verandah. We had reservations and were seated within 5 minutes of arrival. As locals and before renovations were completed with the re-imagined menu, The Verandah's food was good and the service was attentive. The renovations are nicely done with an Asian flare, but the food was terrible and the service was even worse. Our wine arrived quickly, but after ordering, we waited about 30 minutes as our food began to dribble out from the kitchen. Several of us got cold food. The ahi tuna I ordered was cold, over cooked, and included veggies that were grilled and over cooked. An order of steak for a family member was not cooked to order. Two ordered chicken. Neither one liked it. While we sat to enjoy our wine after dinner (2 bottles of red wine) dishes were being cleared from the table. Overall, the whole evening was disappointing. Until the menu gets better, we'll consider other local restaurants first.

1 Thank Sheila6851
Omni_Amelia_Island, Manager at Verandah, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
We appreciate you giving us your feedback and for being a loyal guest at the Verandah but I'm deeply upset you did not enjoy your recent dinner with us. I'm glad to hear you were seated promptly and like the renovations but I apologize that the food was not cooked properly and your service was poor. Management has reviewed your feedback and will adjust our services based on your review. I hope your many positive experiences with us in the past will allow you to give us another chance to improve your latest dinner with us. We hope to see you again soon.
Orlando, Florida
“Holy shrimp and grits”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was by far the best meal of the weekend. Their shrimp and grits are to die for. Other meals that were loved at the table was the grouper special and the beef tenderloin. I want that recipe for the shrimp and grits!!!

Visited May 2013
Omni_Amelia_Island, Manager at Verandah, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
I believe asking for the recipe is the greatest compliment to a chef, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the shrimp and grits along with the other dishes and hope you'll come see us again soon!
Georgia
“Great place for fish”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We've eaten at this restaurant many times over the years and keep coming back because the food and service have always been very good. On our recent trip to Amelia Island, we planned on The Verandah as a must eat location and particularly since we heard it had been renovated, updated and a new menu.

We ate here twice during the trip. The service was great both times.

The first night, I had grilled grouper, with carrots and a salad, my son had the filet with carrots and salad and my mother tried the shrimp and grits. We all enjoyed our meal. The only difference we all noticed was the portion size seems to have gotten smaller. What we ordered was very good and my grouper was perfect, but we were left feeling slightly hungry after having eaten every bite. This was unusual, since in the past we end up with left overs. So, we all ordered dessert, which normally we do not do. We ordered peach cobbler for dessert. It was ok, the serving dish was extremely hot, but it was actually cool in the center. Not what we were expecting. The cobbler wasn't bad, but it was just an ok slightly reheated cobbler. We would have felt much better about ordering a dessert course if it was as good as the entree, but it was a let down at the end of a great meal.

The next time, my mother and I had grouper with crab crust and my son ordered the filet again. The crab crusted grouper is served over mashed potatoes. Neither of us cared for the mashed potatoes; however, the server did indicate we could substitute the mashed potatoes for rice or veggies. In hindsight, the rice would have gone much better with the grouper and we should have taken the server's suggestion. The crab crusted grouper was excellent. We also opted for a wedge salad rather than a simple green salad this time. The wedge salad was very good. We passed on dessert the second night.

The fish and service are worth the trip (my son's filet was very tender both nights), but the portion sizes are smaller so keep that in mind when they offer an appetizer.

Omni_Amelia_Island, Manager at Verandah, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your review and for being a loyal customer at Verandah. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the fish and service. I have shared your comment on the portion size and desserts with our team for review. We look forward to having you again soon!
Naylor
“Excellent food & service!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

The Veranda at Amelia Plantation was wonderful! The crab crusted Grouper was devine! Excellent all around experience!

• Visited April 2013