“God light lunch or dinner if you split your selection”

Ocean Bar and Grill
Ranked #61 of 160 Restaurants in Amelia Island
Cuisines: Seafood
AL
“God light lunch or dinner if you split your selection”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We ate here twice. The first my hubby and me slit the Cuban and the second time we split the Jerk Chicken wrap. Both were very good and large portion for a very hungry one or just right for two. We had great service and the prices for each was $15.00, but the can of Bud was $6.50.

• Visited May 2014

WashingtonDC
“very bad service, but the food was tasty”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My partner and I went to Ocean Bar & Grill for lunch one day, and it was rather miserable experience, especially considering this is the pool restaurant at the Ritz.

I wanted more "lunch" foods, and so because food service here starts at 11am, it was the only restaurant serving non-breakfast foods. By 11am, I was starving, so I was glad that a server came around rather soon. I was starving, and had already looked at the menu and decided I wanted to order. I told her that we were really hungry had been waiting to eat lunch so that she could put our orders in first and make sure they came out. All we ordered for drinks were a water and ice tea, nothing complicated.

We waited 10, 20, 30 minutes, and we literally didn't see our waitress at all. Not even to bring around water? So then I just got up and got myself water from the free water dispensers near the pool.

What made it more aggravating was that all the other areas with different servers were getting drinks and food ASAP. Here I am, starving, and the random people who got here 20 minutes after we ordered already had two drinks. I was pissed, to be honest.

The food we ordered came out about 30 minutes after we ordered. I had a black bean burger and my partner had fish tacos. However, no one bothered to bring us napkins or silverware anything like that. What is going on here? And we tell the delivery guy that we still haven't had our drinks, and he said he'll go figure it out. So lo' and behold, 50 minutes after I put my order in, she comes around with huge tray of drinks– but they were all these margaritas and smoothies for people who ordered after us. I was definitely not a happy camper at this point, I believe the term is "hangry!" haha. She walks over and I tell her to just nix the drink and give us our bill, because I am not satisfied in the slightest. My mood and body language is rather negative. I think she just gave up at this point and then about five minutes later the manager showed up and asked if there was a problem because we didn't have our drinks. She apologized literally five times, and it was getting awkward because how many times should someone apologize, really?

Anyway, she made some excuses for the server, but I really wasn't interested at this point. We certainly didn't expect this to take over an hour, but it wasn't until an hour after sitting down that we actually got a water with lemon. By this time, we had somewhere to be at 12:30 so we asked for the bill as soon as possible. When the manager came back around, she was apologizing but didn't have the bill! So we just told her our room number and told her to sign for us, because we have to go right now.

Obviously, the service was abysmal in our particular instance. But I will say that all the servers around us were good and responsive. And the food was good, too! So normally, I would give my experience a two-star rating, but the hotel apologized about five more times after we left, including a handwritten note from the guest services manager that was delivered to our room. I mean, it was bad service, but it wasn't like I was injured. And ultimately, they didn't charge us for this meal, so because of that, they made a mistake and try to atone for it, so I'm getting a place three-stars. The food was definitely four-stars, and I would have no problem going back if we had a different waitress.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank jg325
Jon F, Executive Assistant Manager at Ocean Bar and Grill, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
jg325, I was disappointed to hear about your recent visit to Ocean Bar and Grill. I appreciate you taking your time to share your feedback as it gives us a chance to identify root causes and finetune disjointed processes to eliminate these opportunties in the future. I have shared your feedback with the Food adn Beverage Leadership team so they can work to correct these concerns right away.
Dayton, Ohio
“Excellent!”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

The food and servers were fabulous! The portions were huge but the flavor was even better. The food and the easy to navigate, amphitheater tiered pool lounge arrangement makes me want to come back over and over. For anyone who likes a universal, no step environment, this pool area rocks!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Olivelane
“Very good service pretty good food but pricey”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We were at the Omni resort during the offseason and there are not many choices for dinner after 6 PM so we went here the first night. The waiter did a great job, the food was pretty good we liked the flat bread the best and it is not cheap. It's worth going if you dont want to drive someplace.

Visited December 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Bucket O'Beers & Fish Tacos!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Nothing better than a cold beer and delicious fish tacos after a morning of fightin' the waves! Service was fantastic, too!

Visited June 2013