“Omnia hotel > The Villas”

Villas of Amelia Island Plantation
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Amelia Island
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Let me start by saying I have stayed at the Omnia hotel there several times and absolutely loved each visit. Currently the hotel is under renovations and not slated to open for a few more weeks so my wife and thought we would give the villas try.
Pros: all of the amenities afforded you while staying in the hotel also apply to the villas, so the shuttle service can take to you to any one of the many restaurants, shops, recreation facilities, spa etc.

We stayed in in the Sea Dunes villas which has beautiful ocean views as advertised, the villas are nice size 2 bedroom one king in the master and two twins in the other which works out fine for our two boys ages 11 and 7. Kitchen are fully stocked so you can cook if you choose the fridge is standard size that had an ice maker in the freezer.

Cons: no WIFI in the building so if you are not bringing a device with an Ethernet port forget internet access, you will find WIFI is available for free in other areas of the plantation.
The Pool behind the building was closed because it is the “off season” No one informed us of this so when we walked to the pool with our kids we noticed two pools one for ‘owners only” which we could not use and the guest pool which had closed sign posted on it. To appease our kids we had to take the shuttle to the fitness facility and use the indoor pool. I’m not pick so that was fine just don’t like to find about stuff like that after I have arrived.

I was also surprised and disappointed. to learn that I could not receive the Omni select guest points for my stay in the villa as they apparently do not have a link between the villas and the hotel system to accommodate this. Again not a show stopper but when I booked and gave my select guest number I was told it added to my reservation only to learn later it was not because they cant.

Issues: I stayed in 1639 in the sea Dunes the hone in the room was out of my entire stay, while I reported this and they sent someone out, no one ever followed up with me. What made this a major inconvenience is the “lobby” phone was also out of order which I also reported and so whenever we need to call shuttle we had to either go to a friend’s room since we traveled with another family and use their phone or attempt to use our cell phones which was hit or miss because sprint service my connection was not available unless I walked into the parking lot at certain spots.

Overall: Because I have a timeshare membership to a Omni competitor and stay at villas quite I have been used to a little bit higher quality and amenities so am trying to fair, so for me I will definitely t come back to Omnia I just think I will go back to saying at the Hotel and not the villas until/unless they make some upgrades.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Anthony R
Visit_OAIP, Public Relations Manager at Villas of Amelia Island Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear you stayed with us while the Omni hotel was under renovation. Our renovations are now complete and the Omni resort hotel is open! Unfortunately the villa pool is not managed by Omni however our new pool complex is complete and available to guests who rent through the Villas of Amelia Island Plantation! I will share your review with management to address your issues. We appreciate your review and hope to see you and your family again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here this month for a weekend while my husband was in town during an underway period. The weather turned out to be VERY cold, hovering at around 35 degrees and raining, so we didn't get to explore the island like we really wanted to, but we did check out Amelia's Wheels for a bike rental for a few hours. We had to stop and ask directions several times because the "trails" that were very carefully color coded on the map are not marked AT ALL on the trails! It really is odd and frustrating. The bike paths are nice and if you are looking for some fun, these are good for the casual person just looking to ride around for awhile. Our room was nice, and we really liked the large bathroom with the garden tub and we also had a washer dryer unit, which turned out great for muddy clothes. The room itself was a little outdated. It has this awful polyester palm comforter on the beds that was reminiscent of the Golden Girls. Other than that, the room was perfect. I thought it was odd that there were no hot tubs at the pool. I know it's Florida, but it's a resort. There should be hot tubs. We ordered wine and it was there in less than ten minutes. Excellent service. We ate at the breakfast place in the common area, and it was very good. The farmer's market on Saturday morning was good. Lots of fresh food to buy, including local shrimp. If we had a kitchen in our unit we would have definitely cooked in that night. My only complaint is the ridiculous layout of the resort. There are NO signs around the front of the resort. Once you get past the security gate, it is fairly easy to navigate, but if you are checking in at night, finding the check-in is challenging. It took three tries to find that. we went to the Falcon's Nest for drinks and dinner and ended up leaving by 9 because we were so bored. It was, however, the largest concentration of over 65's I'd seen in a bar in my entire life. The food was good, but we came in to just drink for awhile before we ate and the waitress stalked us into ordering. It was irritating. I finally had to tell her we would let her know when we were ready to order food. It got irritating. Anyway, the food we finally did order was very good and the drinks were really good. I had some sort of peach mango moonshine margarita. All in all, a good weekend in a very relaxed and secluded place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beachykeenTexas

Thank you for your review of the Villas of Amelia Island Plantation. I'm sorry to hear the weather so cold during your stay but hope you can return when the weather warms up. Each our villa complexes and units are individually owned. We just completed our Re-Imagination at the Omni Resort and have two hot tubs there as well as one at the Health & Fitness Center. Very pleased to hear you had quick service, enjoyed the Farmer's Market, and activities. We have just installed new signage around the resort core which we hope will assist with directions and all check-in is in the new oceanview lobby that easily marked! We hope you'll return to see us again soon.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is a lovely resort, impeccably maintained and with a very helpful staff. The villas are all located facing the beach, and in the morning you can walk for miles with only yourself and maybe a few others on the beach.

It was the perfect family Christmas vacation.

Room Tip: If you get a villa - the Turtle Dunes are the farthest from the resort, and the closest to the state...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank JANELL S
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

This is our second visit to this resort in six months. It's beautiful. We stayed on sandcastle this time on the ocean. Last visit we were at the tennis villas. Great resort. We use the gym and brought our dogs so the resort fee is well worth it. Look forward to coming back as soon as we can,

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Valjalo1
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I am very picky when it comes to choosing a place to stay. My brother-in-law chose this one?
I couldnt have been happier. We had a 2-bedroom condo at the Tennis Villas. It was HUGE!
Very clean and the furnishings were of the highest quality. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2012

when I stayed in the Tennis Villas, I expected someone to come in one of the nights to bring new towels and change the sheets. This did not happen, and I was disappointed. Also, the hotel is located very far from Fernandina Beach, so if you need a ride to town you will pay $40 round trip.

However, these were my only complaints. Excellent and timely service, friendly reception staff, and attractive and clean rooms made the experience about as good as I have ever had. I stayed for 5 nights for 2 conferences last week. I would definitively consider the Omni at Amelia Island if I were to return to Amelia Island. Be aware the place is a four star hotel and as such is expensive, but this is one luxury worth having.

Room Tip: stay in the hotel-all the rooms have a window facing the ocean. The villas are pretty but do not hav...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank samgreat89
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I loved being off the beaten path and in such a private area. The downside to that was we were far from the shops, and the beach and other amenities. The area is lovely the service was excellent and the rooms were lovely and clean. I would go back

Room Tip: I would want to stay beach side next time. I didn't know when I booked how far away from the bea...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lizzie814
Visit_OAIP, Manager at Villas of Amelia Island Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thank you for the very positive rating for the Villas of Amelia Island Plantation! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your visit, but perhaps next time we can better accommodate your request to be closer to the beach and resort. The villas are spread out across 1,350 acres so we encourage guests to specify their preferences whether it may be oceanfront or resort view - and although we can not guarantee specific villas we will do our best to place guests where they will be most comfortable. Locations widely vary in distance from place to place so we also encourage guests to rent an island hopper (golf cart) as a fun way to get from point A to point B! We look forward to your return and thank you for your review!