“explore other options”

Villas of Amelia Island Plantation
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Amelia Island
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The character of Amelia Island is one of the quiet past and a gentle slow pace. At this resort there was a large construction project underway which was not disclosed to us when we booked. Getting around the construction made finding registration almost impossible. Parking is a huge issue. Service was good and staff was friendly. We opted to stay in the "tennis villas" which were separate from the hotel proper. Clean and fresh, however, they were set FAR away from the main resort. If you want ammenities; maybe this is what you want. For us, the large scale overwhelmed the small charm of the Island. Next time we will try a small B&B in Fernandina at the tip of the Island. LOTS of charm, small shops, friendly locals, and good eats that wont cost you an arm and a leg.

Room Tip: If we were to go again, we would opt to stay on the beach in the main hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Villas of Amelia Island Plantation

Reviewed September 8, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed here. Both villas were clean, well furnished, decorated and painted key west style. The ocean view cant be beat and all the pools were exceptional. Its upscale and a little expensive but draws lots of families. Controlled access keeps the idiots out and prevents crowds at beach and pools. Site has several bars and restaurants which are all good and access to the Omni gym and facilities. Great weekend overall. We are looking to book again.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank pjoepondo
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I found the Villas of Amelia Island Plantation through Expedia and it was all it says it is. There is every type of Villa to rent, condo, townhome, single family homes and more. The beach front is beautiful especially when a storm comes in. We had a storm the night we stayed but the view from our ocean front balcony on the golf course was well worth it. We lost power briefly for about 15 minutes but it didn't matter because we ate in our room since we had a full kitchen. The decor was beachy and relaxing but clean.

We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo with an unabstructed view. The grounds were imaculate and quiet for a resort type community of it's size and the amount of people it can house.

The resort is a distance from the main highway but again, well worth the experience especially if you have more than a night to stay. The staff were wonderful and very accomodating.

We also went to the spa and had a couples massage and the spa is beautiful, peaceful and woth every minute. From the moment we walked in, the staff was very attentive in making our experience the best you could ask for. The service and attention to details was not lacking in any way.

I would HIGHLY recommend visiting but again because of the location, make it a long weekend or week with the family in order to have enough time to settle in and enjoy it's many wonderful amenities. I will definately be returning again soon.

Room Tip: Because of the many varieties of units, I would suggest that if you have anyone that can't handl...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TRAVELCA64
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Beautiful beaches and breath taking sites from the Sea Dunes where we stayed. It was the little things that ticked me off. I did research on this stay and saw some negative comments, IE, construction etc but that didnt bother me. What did was the "stretching" of the truth about the little things. Internet for example. You would think at dang near $300 per nite you would get Wifi and not a cable to hook up to your laptop. For me, I was ok with it. But I had teenagers with me and 3 laptops and only one person could use the computer at a time. Plenty of Wifi in the air "but the owners will not let us use it" stated the front desk. No cell signal in the building. Had to go to the beach to use the phone. Again, heaven for me but misery for the teenagers. Their misery became my misery quickly. Brochure stated free beach chairs etc.....but NOT the chairs on the beach. ??? As for Room service...took over and hour to get a bag of ice. THAT was free though. Dont bring kids or plan on doing any Computer work and you will love this place IF you get the beach front condos. No construction that far down the beach. It could have been a bit cleaner and maintained more, IE paint etc. The blender in the kitchen was still 1/4 full of some nasty fruity drink from a previous visitor. When it was all said and done, when I got home, I was emailed the "what did you think" questionaire. Pretty much stated all of this....Not a peep did I hear back. Guess they were ok with it. Probably aint the first time they have been told such things. And NO, I would not go back.

Room Tip: Go ocean view condo or dont bother. Further down the beach from the main Hotel is best.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank fleck712
Visit_OAIP, Public Relations Manager at Villas of Amelia Island Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for your review, I am sharing your feedback with our team. The wifi is something we are always actively working to adjust as we are limited with our tree canopy for service. Free beach chairs are currently available in front of the Omni Resort. We do hope you'll return in the future to see our progress for the Omni resort re-imagination.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I would not go back here until the renovations are complete. I went for a conference and there were a number of "hiccups" with my stay and a lot of inconveniences caused by the construction.

I also had a room in the Villas next to the main hotel. I think these are all individually owned. The room was fine but a bit dated. They should have been embarrased to charge the $40 resort fee on top of the hotel charge.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank EJG4
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Hated the villas of Amelia Island Plantation. Went with my family, my brother and his wife and my parents June 12-16, 2012. First night, my parents pulled back their sheets to reveal dead bugs in the bed and on the pillow case. Not bed bugs, but gross. Staff changed sheets but this left a very uncleanly feeling. Contruction woke me and my family at 6:45 a.m. the first morning. We were told that they started contruction at 9. Then were told 6 a.m., then we asked a construction worker who said that some workers started at 3 a.m. Why did the manager lie to us? Our side view was the giant crane and contstruction. Our villa should have never been rented. The smoke detector was hanging from the wall! And on the last day, a giant roach came wandering out from under the vanity in the master bedroom! So gross! The staff did discount our room after several complaints but that did nothing to lessen our disappointment with the resort. We will never come back. This is definitely a one and done vacation spot!

Room Tip: Ask for a villa that is not directly next to the contruction and peferably one that is clean.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Ruth Ann S
Visit_OAIP, Manager at Villas of Amelia Island Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

We are extremely sorry to hear that your experience at the Villas of Amelia Island Plantation was an unpleasant one. Finding insects in your villa and bed is not indicative of our high cleanliness standards and therefore we were more than happy to rectify the situation immediately and compensate you for any discomforts you experienced. We also apologize for any miscommunication in regards to Omni Amelia Island Plantation construction project starting times. Construction begins at the Omni hotel and Omni conference center as early as 7am. As the project has progressed concrete is now being poured at 3am. This task needs to be performed during the nighttime hours when it is cool and the concrete won't harden prematurely. Unfortunately guests that are staying at the Omni Amelia Island Plantation hotel or the Sandcastle Villas tend to hear the most noise.

Thankfully, overall, the resort has received a positive response from guests visiting during this transitional period. Guests continue to enjoy 1,350 acres of recreational opportunities and 3.5 miles of beautiful beach, as well as having the option to stay at villas located a good distance from the construction areas. We encourage villa guests to consider this while making reservations.

Again, we are very sorry for any inconveniences you experienced while staying at the Villas of Amelia Island Plantation. We truly hope this experience will not dissuade you from returning to this beautiful resort. Perhaps you may return when the renovation is complete and guests will enjoy the number one vacation and conference destination in Florida.

Your comments have been forwarded to the resort executive team for review and for staff training purposes. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I was looking for a tennis resort at which to relax and play tennis for three full days. This was rated well by Tennis Magazine. The tennis pro, Chris, was great, and I did both morning clinics each day. The tennis shop also helps with setting up matches between interested parties.

I was very happy with the beach; not crowded. Natural dunes, forest areas, and marshes to explore. Beautiful setting.

I stayed in the Sand Castle villas, which was spacious and clean. The construction was no bother. Food is a bit pricy, but meals are excellent and portions are not skimpy. The Verandah is a great dinner spot. There is a resort fee, which was unknown to me until I left, so be sure to learn about the amount of that fee in advance. My fee was $40 a day. I didn't rent a car, so I
used shuttles. Great service except for one evening (it made me late to dinner, and then a very long wait to get back to the villa). Service is excellent by all staff members. I would rent a car for
a follow up trip, just to see more.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo