“Descriptions aren't what they seem”

Villas of Amelia Island Plantation
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Amelia Island
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Beautiful beaches and breath taking sites from the Sea Dunes where we stayed. It was the little things that ticked me off. I did research on this stay and saw some negative comments, IE, construction etc but that didnt bother me. What did was the "stretching" of the truth about the little things. Internet for example. You would think at dang near $300 per nite you would get Wifi and not a cable to hook up to your laptop. For me, I was ok with it. But I had teenagers with me and 3 laptops and only one person could use the computer at a time. Plenty of Wifi in the air "but the owners will not let us use it" stated the front desk. No cell signal in the building. Had to go to the beach to use the phone. Again, heaven for me but misery for the teenagers. Their misery became my misery quickly. Brochure stated free beach chairs etc.....but NOT the chairs on the beach. ??? As for Room service...took over and hour to get a bag of ice. THAT was free though. Dont bring kids or plan on doing any Computer work and you will love this place IF you get the beach front condos. No construction that far down the beach. It could have been a bit cleaner and maintained more, IE paint etc. The blender in the kitchen was still 1/4 full of some nasty fruity drink from a previous visitor. When it was all said and done, when I got home, I was emailed the "what did you think" questionaire. Pretty much stated all of this....Not a peep did I hear back. Guess they were ok with it. Probably aint the first time they have been told such things. And NO, I would not go back.

Room Tip: Go ocean view condo or dont bother. Further down the beach from the main Hotel is best.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank fleck712
Visit_OAIP, Public Relations Manager at Villas of Amelia Island Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for your review, I am sharing your feedback with our team. The wifi is something we are always actively working to adjust as we are limited with our tree canopy for service. Free beach chairs are currently available in front of the Omni Resort. We do hope you'll return in the future to see our progress for the Omni resort re-imagination.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,171)

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I would not go back here until the renovations are complete. I went for a conference and there were a number of "hiccups" with my stay and a lot of inconveniences caused by the construction.

I also had a room in the Villas next to the main hotel. I think these are all individually owned. The room was fine but a bit dated. They should have been embarrased to charge the $40 resort fee on top of the hotel charge.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank EJG4
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Hated the villas of Amelia Island Plantation. Went with my family, my brother and his wife and my parents June 12-16, 2012. First night, my parents pulled back their sheets to reveal dead bugs in the bed and on the pillow case. Not bed bugs, but gross. Staff changed sheets but this left a very uncleanly feeling. Contruction woke me and my family at 6:45 a.m. the first morning. We were told that they started contruction at 9. Then were told 6 a.m., then we asked a construction worker who said that some workers started at 3 a.m. Why did the manager lie to us? Our side view was the giant crane and contstruction. Our villa should have never been rented. The smoke detector was hanging from the wall! And on the last day, a giant roach came wandering out from under the vanity in the master bedroom! So gross! The staff did discount our room after several complaints but that did nothing to lessen our disappointment with the resort. We will never come back. This is definitely a one and done vacation spot!

Room Tip: Ask for a villa that is not directly next to the contruction and peferably one that is clean.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Ruth Ann S
Visit_OAIP, Manager at Villas of Amelia Island Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

We are extremely sorry to hear that your experience at the Villas of Amelia Island Plantation was an unpleasant one. Finding insects in your villa and bed is not indicative of our high cleanliness standards and therefore we were more than happy to rectify the situation immediately and compensate you for any discomforts you experienced. We also apologize for any miscommunication in regards to Omni Amelia Island Plantation construction project starting times. Construction begins at the Omni hotel and Omni conference center as early as 7am. As the project has progressed concrete is now being poured at 3am. This task needs to be performed during the nighttime hours when it is cool and the concrete won't harden prematurely. Unfortunately guests that are staying at the Omni Amelia Island Plantation hotel or the Sandcastle Villas tend to hear the most noise.

Thankfully, overall, the resort has received a positive response from guests visiting during this transitional period. Guests continue to enjoy 1,350 acres of recreational opportunities and 3.5 miles of beautiful beach, as well as having the option to stay at villas located a good distance from the construction areas. We encourage villa guests to consider this while making reservations.

Again, we are very sorry for any inconveniences you experienced while staying at the Villas of Amelia Island Plantation. We truly hope this experience will not dissuade you from returning to this beautiful resort. Perhaps you may return when the renovation is complete and guests will enjoy the number one vacation and conference destination in Florida.

Your comments have been forwarded to the resort executive team for review and for staff training purposes. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I was looking for a tennis resort at which to relax and play tennis for three full days. This was rated well by Tennis Magazine. The tennis pro, Chris, was great, and I did both morning clinics each day. The tennis shop also helps with setting up matches between interested parties.

I was very happy with the beach; not crowded. Natural dunes, forest areas, and marshes to explore. Beautiful setting.

I stayed in the Sand Castle villas, which was spacious and clean. The construction was no bother. Food is a bit pricy, but meals are excellent and portions are not skimpy. The Verandah is a great dinner spot. There is a resort fee, which was unknown to me until I left, so be sure to learn about the amount of that fee in advance. My fee was $40 a day. I didn't rent a car, so I
used shuttles. Great service except for one evening (it made me late to dinner, and then a very long wait to get back to the villa). Service is excellent by all staff members. I would rent a car for
a follow up trip, just to see more.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank CarolMemphis4
Reviewed July 13, 2012

My family with young children stayed her while my husband attended a work conference. We stayed in a two room villa, ocean view with a balcony, very nice room! The property is under construction, which was bothersome while trying to get my son to nap, but that is just unavoidable at times. Im excited to return once updates are made. Nonetheless, we had an enjoyable time. The staff was over and beyond helpful and friendly, the kids loved the pool, nice and unpopulated beaches and the playground. There are also cute stores, ice cream shops, room service(which is nice with tired children) etc. This was our second mini vacay here and Im sure we will return.

Room Tip: The villas are very nice!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WeekendGetawayLover
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My parents and I went to this hotel for the weekend. From the start, our stay was going downhill. It was very difficult to locate the hotel first of all, and of course we got lost at first. At the reception, the check in lady was rude, vulgar and very unfriendly! She was not helpful at all with information about the villas and hotel. She didn't even ask if it was our first stay or not! We had to ask for a map, and she unwillingly told us where we could wait for our room until it was ready. A request was made for noon when the reservation was made, and it wasn't ready til 2:00 pm! Plus the "waiting area" which at check in we were directed to go to was completely full with kids screaming in the pool and horridly unclean environment. Just goes to show that there is very minimal to no maintenance people going around and at least picking up trash and cleaning. Finally, when we got a call that the room was ready, the rude check in lady didn't even know! She repeatedly kept asking if someone called about the room being ready as if we were lying about it....what a shame. She didn't even offer assistance with our luggage or if we needed anything! Basically, no one who's part of the staff cares. The villas there are very old looking and outdated on the outside. There is construction going on there, and a tractor was placed right under the balconies of our villa! The room itself, Sandcastle villa, was decent. Very spacious, could fit atleast 4 people. The pull out couch wasn't working and was completely stained in our room, so two beds had to be shared for the three of us. The remote control for the tvs were barely working, there was a huge hole in the screen door onto the balcony which easily allowed speeders and bugs to get in. Not to mention, there are big spiders everywhere! After two days, we were completely bitten everywhere! During the two days, I had killed 3 huge ones inside and there were also a couple on the balcony. Another thing they don't care about is to call up a pest control service...pshh. Also a big thing is that it is extremely humid there and tons of mosquitos everywhere! There are also no sidewalks anywhere, just lots of trees and it feels very swampy. The parking lot is barely lit, and hard to maneuver around at night. Also, the trams that go around the property are very unfrequent so I greatly advise to rent a car somewhere. The pool for the villa was very small, and should have been at least twice as large. The location of the property is horrible also! The plantation is basically isolated from any stores and takes a decent 20 minutes to get to any stores or restaurants which are downtown. For the price a night that we paid, it is definitely not worth it at all! Its worth maybe the price of a stay at a Red Roof Inn or Holiday Inn. I would NEVER advise anyone to go there! Horrible service, location, and facilities....do NOT choose this hotel!

Room Tip: villas are cheaper, but are outdated. wait until the construction is over in about march 2013, since...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for your review. It is extremely regretful that your overall experience at our resort was an unpleasant one. We pride ourselves upon our beautiful, scenic and remote location that, for many, makes our property the perfect "escape" and "getaway" vacation spot. Our resort is located on 1,350 acres that is nestled amongst winding roads, ponds, lush vegetation, majestic live oaks with Spanish moss, abundant wildlife, beautiful salt marshes and 3.5 miles of beach along the Atlantic Ocean. Historic downtown Fernandina Beach is located 15-20 minutes north of the resort and we encourage our guests to utilize our shuttle service to visit the area for additional dining, shopping and site seeing.

In regards to check-in times, our current policy is 4pm. Requests to check in early or check out late can be made when reserving a room however the request can not be guaranteed. We apologize for that inconvenience.

We also apologize for any level of service that was not up to our high standards. I have forwarded your comments to the front desk department director as well as our executive team for review. It is through our guests that we often find new and better ways for our staff to excel.

Again, we apologize for any displeasure you experienced while visiting our resort. We hope you may consider visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

We just returned from a visit to the Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort and had a WONDERFUL experience ! We stayed in the Turtle Dune Villas and found the accomodations to be excellent. The beach area is great for family activities (great waves courtesy of Tropical Storm Debby !) and the pool area features the convenience of a snack/cocktail bar and many daily activities for children (including visits from Tanner the Turtle!). We found every member of the staff to be friendly and focused on making our visit enjoyable. The completion of the current project will make this location even better ! We highly recommend the Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort and look forward to our next visit to this outstanding property !

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family