“Nice, be prepared for the bugs!”

Long Key State Park
Ranked #119 of 313 things to do in Florida Keys
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I spent 1 night tent camping while driving down Rt. 1 to Key West and really enjoyed ourselves. We were at campsite 16 which was right across from one of the rest rooms. The facilities were all well maintained. There was quite a bit of seaweed left from Hurricane Issac, but there was no smell, and it was easy enough to step over to get to the water. The bugs were crazy! So if you are tent camping, make sure you are prepared for the bugs.

I called ahead and spoke with a ranger who gave me great advice for making our reservation. I bought up the noise issue and asked which campsites had the most privacy. In terms of noise, you are right along Rt. 1. So you will get some noise. Campsites 30-40ish seem to have the largest amount of space from the road. She said if a camp site in that range was free, to reserve it. Even though it says RV camping on the website, all that means is that the spot can accommodate up to an RV. So we had plenty of room to set up our tent!

In terms of the trees and privacy. After walking down the length of the camp ground, I felt that most of the campsites had for the most part the same setup. I found our site fairly private and not much different from the rest. I was told from the ranger that many of the first 10 spots suffered significant damage due to Hurricane Issac and were in fact closed for a while.

The one major negative I had was concerning the fire wood. I had been so looking forward to having a fire and was told by the ranger that they prefer campers to use their fire wood to avoid anything being brought into the park. A bundle of fire wood was $3. We were cool with that. However, when we arrived at the campground, it had rained. And they do not cover their wood bundles. So everything was wet and made starting a fire impossible.

4  Thank aboyer8
in 15 reviews
"boardwalk"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed at the Long Key State Park for one night (campsite #1) in September and our experience was a little bit disappointing. The first few campsites do not have many trees that would block the noise coming from the highway. Make sure you bring mosquito repellant with you, there is a lot of bugs, insects . Bathrooms are clean, having hot water was nice. The place seems well run.

4  Thank wherisat
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My first time visiting & camping on this park on Labor day weekend, 2012. The camping area was full but not too crowded..The beach behind our campground was littered with lots sea grass but that was mainly due to the recent tropical storm that has passed by the Key's the previous weekend, despite this, I gave it 5 stars. If you walk just a short distance from camp site, you will find a private secluded beach with not a soul in sight for miles. The sea grass on sand wasnt too bad in this beach. Water was shallow & crystal clear for miles, but watch out for jellyfish and little crabs! the scenery was beautiful. The Golden Orb trail was very nice & worth the 45 minute hike. They also let you have campfires on your campsite which makes for a great experience. The park sells firewood for only $3 a stack! The bath houses were clean & park rangers friendly and helpful. You can rent kayaks or canoes for about $10.00 & kayak on the lagoon or around the beach...love this place, will be back soon.

2  Thank christy v
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We took a chance on their being availability and we are so glad we did. The snorkeling was not great but very adventurous. My husband caught lobster and we all saw some amazing fish and marine life. The one day he and my son caught 8 blue crab right off the site.
We had no neighbors on either side of us until this weekend and the place was very clean.
The beach has seaweed all over it and sand fleas. The fleas do not bite however but I would highly recommend water shoes.
Park covienently located between islamarada and marathon with plenty of stuff to keep you busy.
You can rent canoes from the park for $7 and take them through a guided map tour of the mangroves.
All in all this was a great spot and it made a wonderful vacation for our family.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 17, 2012

What a beautiful experience I had! I stayed at Long Key State Park almost by mistake... I was camping at Bahia Honda State Park but I couldn't extend my stay 2 more nights. They told me it was all booked which was not true... there were empty sites at Sandspur (the only campsite you want to stay at) the whole time I was there. Anyways, I made my reservation through Reserve America, but since Long Key State Park is undergoing renovations, online booking was not available... lucky me... the Park was almost empty!!!! What a treat!!! Wildlife is thriving and it was very peaceful and quite. Out of over 60 sites, less than 20 were occupied.The beach is not the best but I don't have a problem with seaweed at all. All campsites are waterfront and specially those in the mid 20's have a lot of vegetation so you are blessed with shade and bird sounds day and night. My campsite neighbors from both sides were actually 2 sea turtles that were nesting (of course, those sites were close to the public). Campfires are permitted and they are set only a few steps from the beach... really nice!!! Firewood is available for purchase. Canoeing in the lagoon is fun. Thank you so much park ranger for my birthday present ;)!!!
I had one of the best birthday weekends ever!!!

3  Thank Loreta C