“Not the hotel for me”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Kendall
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Staying at this hotel has made me aware that I need to be very careful when I select hotels for future stays. First I shall begin with the positive...staff at this hotel are very personable and friendly. On arrival I was met by a very friendly male front desk agent and on check out an even more pleasant lady. Other employees were equally friendly and helpful , I had employees hold elevators for me on two separate occasions while I was struggling with luggage ... a gesture that was appreciated.
There is popcorn and cookies available in the lobby and breakfast is included in the room rate. The hotel also has a shuttle which I made use of and found to be very reliable . Huge flat screen TV in the room.

Now for the negative
Hotel is a bit isolated. We had a rental car and I would suggest the same.
There was a noticeable odour when I entered the room that was present throughout my stay. Truth be told the room is quite spacious but seems a bit dated . I found the room to be clean and spotless but for whatever reason still felt a little dirty to me - maybe because it was old. Definitely not modern and could use a little extra something. I wanted to leave and stay at another hotel but my husband didn't want to . Personally I won't be returning . I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott for some of my stay and wished I had booked there for the entire stay .

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
HIexpress-kendall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Chica42,

Thank you for writing about your experience while staying at my property. I am pleased to know that your interactions with the team were consistent and that you were treated well. We try very hard to provide all of our guests with same level of courtesy and respect that we would show a family member.

I noticed by some of your other posts that you generally stay at the Best Western. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to accommodate you and your husband.

With regards to the rooms, the team works diligently to ensure that all rooms are spotless. As you may see from some of the other reviews by our guests, cleanliness is a common theme among them all.

I am very interested in learning more about the issues with your particular room. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I came here as a college group with a set it 10 other students. 5 of us had fraudulent card transactions after providing the hotel with our card details.

Not sure if its the people or the systems, but they need to take corrective action quick. The stay in general was pretty good. The horror came to light after checkout.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank HarshakNagaraj
HIexpress-kendall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

HarshakNagaraj,

First I'd like to begin by extending my sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you and your friends have experienced.

The hotel has recently changed its credit card service provider, it appears that in that transition, we fell victim to a computer hack. The hack has since been removed and the security increased to prevent this from happening again.

I hope that this doesn’t tarnish your opinion of our hotel and that you and your friends return to us on your next visit.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

It's been so long since anyone in my family stayed at a Holiday Inn that we had pretty much written them all off as an "older" run of the mill hotels from the 1970's. So it was a very, very nice surprise when we walked into the Holiday Inn Express this past weekend. The Lobby was attractive with an adjacent breakfast/dining room within view. Our room was spacious, had a contemporary flair, was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The beds were comfortable, towels thick and absorbent, and the room well lit. Now, I'm not going to go overboard to suggest it was luxurious 5 star hotel...but it was just what I needed...a clean, quiet and attractive place to rest for the night. The staff was attentive when we reported a slow draining sink and it was fixed to perfection while we were away during the day. The bathroom fan is a bit LOUD and the toilet flushes so forcefully you feel as if you might get sucked in...but over all, we'd stay here again in a heat beat! It was surprisingly delightful and a good choice.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
HIexpress-kendall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Michelle C,

I am so pleased that we were able to change your perception of, as you put it, "older run of the mill hotels from the 1970's". Holiday Inn Express has made a concerted effort to ensure that the perception of what used to be is no longer the norm.

I am also glad to know that you were able to relax and that my staff was attentive to your needs. I am sorry to say that I am not sure what can be done with regards to the forceful flushing of the toilets, but I will make sure to address the issue with maintenance.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to change your mind about the brand.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I will start with the positives. The business center was great. The room I was in had a large flat screen TV centered on the wall in front of the bed. The mattress was sunk in at the foot of the bed where guest had possibly been sitting watching TV.

The second floor had a smell to it the entire 5 days I was at the property. My room had that poorly cleaned bathroom smell. I sprayed Lysol for days but could not get rid of the smell. It looked clean but did not smell fresh.

The walls are paper thin. I could hear the water from the shower above. I could also hear everything out in the halls.

The breakfast was the basic free breakfast that you get at most hotels.

This is a construction issue. My review does not reflect the service of the staff. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

HoneyBunny2001,

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to write about your experience while staying at my hotel.

Your feedback, whether positive or negative is what allows us to improve our services to ensure that the next time you or a future guest checks in, those issue would be a thing of the past.

I would love to invite you to return as my guest in order for you to see what we are truly capable off.

Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is constantly improving itself. My room was recently painted in a fashionable 2 color scheme. Very nice.
The complimentary breakfast also added a fresh pancake machine. The breakfast is the best free breakfast I have ever had in a hotel. Eggs, sausage, bagels, pastries, cereals, & pancakes are just the beginning.
The front desk staff was courteous and efficient. Checking in and out was easy and fast.
The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. I really like the pillows.
As usual, Mr Carlo Lima was a pleasure to deal with. Our reservations were perfect and available even though we were a little early. Well, maybe too early. Either way we lucked out and had a room. Thanks, Mr Lima!
As usual, it was a great stay and keep getting better. I just had to add an extra star this time. You all deserve it.
Charles

• Stayed: September 2012

Charles P,

Thank you again for yet another positive review. You have stayed with us many times and it pleases me to know that we have been able to provide you with a consistently favorable experience each time.

It’s not always easy to "wow" a repeat guest every time they stay because they come to expect certain amenities and treatment, which is why we are always trying to improve our service as well as our amenities in order to keep you on your toes.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights while on business. Hotel is fairly basic, but is clean and the staff are helpful. Breakfast was a bit limited, but I cetainly didn't go hungry! The location of the hotel is slightly isolated so I'd recommend a car if you stay here. One major drawback I found with this hotel was, though offering free safety deposit boxes, these boxes were not large enough to take my laptop, which resulted in me carrying my laptop where ever I went.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HIexpress-kendall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

man_from_minsk

Thank you for taking the time to write about my property. I am especially thankful for the suggestion on larger safety deposit boxes. Generally we only have guests whom wish to store documents, passports, or jewelry so the boxes have been tailored to accommodate them.

I can see where the addition of perhaps 1 or 2 larger boxes would be a benefit to our guests that have larger items such as a laptop.

I will certainly look into purchasing them in the near future.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We could not find a reasonable hotel in Kendall, FL, so we picked this property and we were quite happy about the our pick...for us it was our first stay on a Holiday Inn Express Property..The hotel offer a great value... very helpful and friendly staff, nice and clean room, free business center, small gym, free parking and breakfast included. we would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
HIexpress-kendall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

CabreraJay1,

Thank you for sharing your positive thoughts about your stay with us. I am extremely pleased that your decision to choose my location paid off and that you were treated well.

I hope, based on your experience with us, that you will continue to stay at our and other Holiday Inn Express properties in the future.

Please come see us again the next time you are in the area.