WINNER WONDERLAND

Casavana
Ranked #14 of 41 Restaurants in Kendall
Cuisines: Latin, Cuban, Caribbean, Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Washington, Virginia
“Great food, but don't expect service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Whenever we visit Miami, we always stop here. The food is great; the service is not, but that's always expected.

Our favorite entrees: bistec empanizado (breaded, fried steak), vaca frita (fried beef). Definitely order the white rice and black beans as one side and platanos maduros (sweet, fried plantains) or tostones (double-fried, salted plantains) as the other.

Our favorite sandwiches: pan con lechon (pork), croqueta preparada (croquet sandwich), frita cubana (spicy, chorizo burger), Cuban sandwich. Can't go wrong with any of those.

Favorite appetizers: queso frito (fried cheese) and mariquitas (banana chips with garlic sauce).

Milkshakes: batidos de mamey ( no idea what that is in English, but it's an awesome tropical fruit), malteada (malted milk), or trigo (puffed wheat) are all awesome.

Soft drinks: try a Materva (soda from Mate leaves), Jupina (pineapple), or Ironbeer (Cuban root beer pronounced Ee-roon-ber, is the closest thing I can think of). Love them all.

Service: many waitresses and bus boys barely speak English. Our last one was forgetful; we had to call her over constantly to get refills, she forgot our beans , forgot our croquetas, filled the kids' sprite glasses with water and walked away, etc. We come here for the food, not the service.

North Wildwood, New Jersey
“Looking forward to my next visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

I ordered the breakfast sandwich and was surprised how ordinary and plain the sandwich was. It was as uninspiring as an egg sandwich at Denny's or McDonalds. There was nothing wrong with it; the ham was good, but nothing that would identify it as Cuban. Same for the bread. I'm giving 4 stars since the fault was mine for ordering it. But next time, I'll definitely skip the breakfast sandwich and try one of their signature breakfast items.

• Visited April 2014
Miami, Florida
“Wow! What happened to you guys? ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

We regularly order delivery from here and sometimes dine in. Today was a delivery day. AWFUL! So many corners cut. I actually had to check if indeed there was steak in my steak sandwich, that's how thin it was. The Miami sandwich, same thing. Come on guys, everyone is hurting in this economy, however, if you can't afford the ingredients in your sandwiches and appetizers, then close! SO DISAPPOINTED! !

Elmhurst, Illinois
“Excellent Cuban food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

My husband, my mother and myself, really enjoyed our dinner at Casavana. The informal restaurant is located at Town & Country Mall. My mother ordered the "rabo encendido" a Monday evening special, which she loved. My husband and I, enjoyed the churrasco with white rice and black beans. He also had the ripe plantains (maduros) and I had the yuca (with garlic, onions and olive oil). Our steak was perfectly cooked..medium rare, really juicy and very tender. Their bread with olive oil & garlic is to die for. Reasonably priced. Definitely we will go back when we return to Miami. Recommended!

• Visited January 2014
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Our first Cuban cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Our visit to the Kendall, FL Casavana was, for us, a very unique experience. Having traveled to the Caribbean a few times, we have sampled much of that cuisine but we've always wanted to try Cuban. We've had some so-called "Cuban-style" sandwiches, etc. in SW Florida but never true Cuban dishes. This visit allowed us to taste two wonderful dishes, one fish and the other beef and both were scrumptious! The beans and white rice and plantains were also wonderful as was the fresh bread. Although the restaurant was very busy and many families and larger groups waiting to be seated, the two of us were shown our table almost instantly. Our server was so personable and helpful with the menu, asking us if this was our first visit. Service was relatively quick, the food was hot, and the soup might have been the best we've tasted. Upon our return to South Florida, we will certainly come back to Casavana!

• Visited December 2013