“Will give it another try”
Review of Carmela's Pizza and Wine Bar - CLOSED

Carmela's Pizza and Wine Bar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Juno Beach, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Will give it another try”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I am a big fan of their Stuart location so was so happy they established one in Jupiter. The service was good, so no complaints there. However, the food was OK but needs improvement.

We ordered beer and wine. It was happy hour so the wine pour was great. A nice glass with another small container of wine. We started with the Olives and fried Zucchini. The zuccini was overdone and I would not get it again, but the olives were wonderful. Those yes -- I would get again.

The pizza we ordered looked wonderful, but we soon found out the bottom was overdone - almost burnt. We should have sent it back but we didn't. We did tell them it was overdone, but for some that is normal. It seems to be the norm at some places, but we like our pizza golden, not dark and told our server this. Next time we will be sure to let them know we don't want it overdone on the bottom.

We ordered some garlic knots to take home. When we got home and I opened them up, they were burnt. Really burnt. My husband got in the car and took them back. When questioned, we were told they had been making pizzas for a baseball event and turned the ovens up to get them all done in time. OK - but look at what you are sending out. Would you eat a burnt garlic knots? Chances are no - you wouldn't. The knots in Stuart location are what you expect, golden colored drizzled in olive oil, garlic, parsley and cheese. These could have been used hocky pucks. They offered us our money back on the garlic rolls, but for $2.95 it wasn't worth it. I would much rathe they would have replaced the rolls with fresh, non-burnt ones but they did not offer this nor offer us a discount on dinner if we came back. That is what I would have done.

Because I love Carmela's in Stuart so much, I will give this one in Jupiter another try. Even the overdone pizza is better than most in this area. I know it's a matter of taste, but next time I will be sure to 1) tell them I want the crust golden, not dark brown and 2) be sure to check the garlic knots before I leave the restaurant.

They just need to bring the standard up to the Stuart locaiton and they will be very successful in Jupiter.

• Visited June 2014
Matthew D, Owner at Carmela's Pizza and Wine Bar, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
MistyMu,

Thank you for coming in and giving us a try. I'm very sorry we missed the mark on the evening you were in. I remember you're husband returning with the garlic knots, and spoke with the kitchen immediately after. They should have never left our kitchen as burnt as they were. You were absolutely right to bring them back. I remember offering to refund or remake them but perhaps he only heard the offer for a refund.

As far as the pizza and zucchini, I am also very sorry that these came out overdone as well. You're preference for golden crust is what we aim for and it appears our oven man was overcooking things that evening. Having other large orders is not an excuse for us to send out less than perfect food and I will remind our kitchen of this.

Thank you again for your feedback as we take it very seriously. We do hope you'll return and that we can provide a better experience for you.

West Palm Beach, Florida
“Good food, Even Better Service”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Decided to try this restaurant for date night with my wife. Loved the decor. They have large booths with ample room for 4 - 5 people. We ordered the calamari appetizer. Although it was a large portion and well-breaded, I would recommend using a seasoned batter/flour to give it some flavor. I ordered veal parmigiana which was good, though a bit chewy. My wife ordered her usual staple - eggplant parmigiana. She said it was ok. They had an exceptional pianist providing entertainment. His name is Richard. It was worth the trip just to hear him. The service was attentive and welcoming. Although I can't say that this was the best Italian meal I've ever had, I intend to return to try a couple more dishes.

• Visited May 2014
Matthew D, Owner at Carmela's Pizza and Wine Bar, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Ken,

Thank you for reviewing us! I'm glad that you enjoyed hearing Richard on the piano, he is definitely talented. I'm also very happy to see such good comments about our service as we have been working very hard on that aspect. I am concerned to hear that your food wasn't exceptional as the calamari, veal, and eggplant parmigiana are some of our staple dishes that we usually hear great things about. I will be going over your comments with the kitchen and making sure we address the issues you mentioned. Thank you again for your feedback, we take it seriously and are always appreciative to hear from our guests...
Jupiter, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic Italian in an unexpected location”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We were a party of four and all enjoyed great authentic Italian. Not just a red sauce place, they incorporate fresh vegetables into their dishes and each of us enjoyed our selections. The ambience and live music provide that something extra. Prices are very fair. Homemade pastas available.

• Visited April 2014
Matthew D, Owner at Carmela's Pizza and Wine Bar, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Donna B,

Thanks so much for your review. It is great to see someone from right here in Jupiter enjoying our food and atmosphere. We hope you'll come back soon!
Stuart, Florida
“Good food, dismal service”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

First visit here was awesome and brought us back. We took our daughter, telling her to expect a wonderful experience.
Well, the food was great, but the service was awful.
It was a weeknight and the restaurant was 1/4 full. Yet our waiter did not come by to take or orders. Eventually a woman who appeared to be the manager came by and asked if we'd been waited on. We said no, and she said she would get our waiter. He came by about five minutes later.
The runners were fine, and they brought our meals when they were ready. Never saw our server until we summoned him over to request a dessert menu. He dropped off menus and disappeared. Ten minutes later, unable to order dessert, we decided to leave.
That waiter could have added another $18 to the check if we'd ordered dessert!
The food is good, and I'd like to tell the owner that unless service drastically improves, they won't make it. I won't be returning soon, despite the delicious food and great pizza!
My daughter overheard diners at a nearby table comment on the uneven service as well, saying it was bad the last time they had been ere, but they gave it one more chance.
Please, step up the service, because the food and atmosphere are great!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank TCoastgirl
Matthew D, Owner at Carmela's Pizza and Wine Bar, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
TCoastgirl,

Thank you for your review. I am terribly sorry about your recent visit and lack of service. I am glad you enjoyed the food and atmosphere but to have customers receiving such poor service is certainly not what we want. I would love the opportunity to discuss your recent meal so that I can address the issues directly in house and to see if there a way we can encourage you to come back for another shot. Please do contact me on Tripadvisor or email: Info@carmelaspizza.com. I hope to here from you.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice Italian Dinner after a walk on the beach”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

The wife and I tried Carmela's Pizza and Wine bar last night after a walk down Juno Beach.
The restaurant is located in a strip mall just across the parking lot for the Juno Beach Pier.
I was expecting the place to be packed at 7:30 Friday night but since the snowbird season is pretty much over in SE Florida, there was plenty of seating.
The place seemed pretty new, clean and a nice open dining room.
After being seated, Heidi our server was right there to tell us about the specials and take drink orders.
The food was perfect for our liking. Everything served was fresh and tasty.
We started off with Calamari which was enough for 3 to 4 people, followed by a House salad and an Apple & Pear salad, which both were very tasty.
My entree was the Eggplant Joella. Man was it good, I normally go for the eggplant parm at Italian restaurants but decided to switch it up a bit last night. I'm so happy I did, the meal had a wonderful, different taste then my normal eggplant parm.
My wife had the Butternut Squash Ravioli, which I think was one of the nightly specials. I tried one and I have to say for a squash ravioli it was dang good.
This is not a slam but it's a personal preference, but I think the Tomato sauce was a bit on the watery side for my preferred liking (but my shirt loved it :-) )
Now, we didn't try the Pizza but from the looks of what others were eating, Carmela's must have super good pizza. I counted 11 pizzas being served during our time at Carmela's.
We'll be back to Palm Beach area in June and Carmela's is on the hit list again and this time for Pizza.

• Visited May 2014
Matthew D, Owner at Carmela's Pizza and Wine Bar, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
David,

Thank you very much for your review and we're so glad you enjoyed the food! We do hope to see you back in June for pizza. Also, I'm sorry the our sauce was a little too watery for you. If you happen to have our pasta again, please don't hesitate to ask for the sauce to be reduced thicker consistency. We're always happy to accommodate our guests!