“Funky strip mall restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Food Shack
Ranked #1 of 214 Restaurants in Jupiter
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Palatine, Illinois
“Funky strip mall restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is the kind of place you would never see - or try - if you didn't know it was there. It's in a blah little strip mall. Once you walk in, the restaurant is funky, quirky and worth the trip. Our service was great and the food was terrific. We all tried something different and there were no losers. Portions were very generous so we decided th next time we went, we would ask for small plates and share. Dessert was also heavenly.

The restaurant also offers GF items (even dessert) and will modify entrees as needed to accommodate a GF diet.

I've added this place to my list of Things To Do in Jupiter. We'll go back again.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome and creative seafood.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We love this place and come back every time we are in Jupiter. The service is efficient and the meals are served at the proper temperature. The food is very good and all the ingredients are very fresh. My husband's scallops were so good and I had probably the best fish taco I have ever eaten. Each bite was exceptional. Wish this place was on the west coast near Tampa/Clearwater and not a 4 hour drive away.

Ocala, Florida
“Go by the bank first.....You will need a loan to pay for this over-priced food.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

We made two drips to this place....Our first and last. First of all we wanted to know if we could get the lunch plate instead of the dinner menu snce neither of the three of us was really hungry and the waitor said that would be no problem and we would be charged the price of the lunch plate. We all had the wahoo fish and when the order arrived, we had a little sampling (about two ounces) of fish on about 4 poundsof rice. The cucumber salad consisted of two thin slices and about a half-ounce of lettuce in a bowl that was about the size of a tablespoon and the fruit salad was the same size with chopped up fruit and a sauce that was so powerful neither of us ate it.

Now the kicker came when the waitor brought our bill and it totalled $86. When I asked the waitor about the charge, he said that he talked to the manager about the lunch plate and the manager informed him he would give us the smaller plate, but the cost would be doubled. Why were we not told that we were being charged the full amount before he brought our order? If we had known before eating the two bites of fish and all the rice (I used several sauces that were on the table so I could get some taste on the rice. Even then I only ate a portion of it....The other two members of our party only ate a couple of tablespoons of the dry rice.

I feel we were taken advantage of and we could have gone to a McDonald's and gotten a fish sandwich for a tenth the cost. The fish was very good, but for $29, I expected more.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank DWatts129
Chattanooga,TN
“stretched too thin?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is my second review of this place and we absolutely loved our first visit. I think they are now stretched too thin. Same inventive, creative food, but undercooked, and our waitress knew nothing about the dishes. This place is too expensive for bad service ($60+for 20. She wasn't even sure what type of wine was in the Sangria. After eating less then half my fish dish, I asked for a box. She insisted on boxing it up and when I looked I only had the fish....none of the veggies or salad I had left. When I mentioned it to her she told me I had told her not to box it up (not True). I hate it when they blame customers for their mistake. We will be back next year.....hopefully the staff will be better trained!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Donna1001
Jupiter, Florida
“Awesome creative seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Don't let the location fool you. The place is located in a crummy strip mall. You have to get there early because the place fills up. But the good is definitely worth it. But as my title states, the creative seafood dishes are spectacular. Great food at bargain prices. One of my all time favorites.

• Visited October 2013