“An inspired menu!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We are staying at Singer Island and met friends from Stuart at the Food Shack. The menu was hand printed on colorful paper--"Daily Specials." It was difficult to decide--so many terrific-sounding choices! I opted for the blackened grouper on coconut rice with fruit and cucumber slaw, which was really delicious. The fruit was almost like a mango salsa--kind of peppery, but not hot. We shared the creme brûlée cheesecake, which was surprisingly light and covered with fresh berries and whipped cream on the side. Our friends had the grouper cheeks on fruit and salad & the Indonesian risotto with shrimp & scallops, which was served in a giant pasta bowl. The Indonesian dish really looked good--a huge serving. He couldn't eat it all! The others of us gobbled up every morsel. This place is not fancy--almost like eating in a bar--but it's obvious they have a loyal clientele of locals. That in itself is a testimony. The owners have another restaurant called Leftovers, which was also highly recommended to us. We'll go back to the Food Shack!

There are newer reviews for Food Shack

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place is crazy busy all the time and there is a reason for it, the food is awesome! Yes you may have to wait a while and yes service may be slower than you may like at times, so don't go if you are just about to die of starvation!! It's a busy little hole in the wall place in a strip mall, so don't be looking for outdoor seating and views, it's eclectic inside and that's part of it's charm.

1  Thank JPA68
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I was really excited to try "Food Shack," based on several friends' positive recommendations. While the food was delicious and unique, the service left a lot to be desired. My date and I waited at least 10 minutes for someone to come take our drink order. We had had ample time to review the menu by then, so we decided to order right away. My food came in a reasonable amount of time, but the waiter apologized that they had neglected to put my date's order in. In fact, the waiter had to ask my date again what he ordered! Finally my date's entree arrived about 10 minutes later. Out of courtesy, I had not eaten my dinner yet, so by now it was cold. The manager came out and apologized, saying that he "would take care of us." I took that to mean that maybe we would get a free dessert or 10% off the entire order or a voucher for a future visit. But when the check arrived, there was no adjustment. The place is small, somewhat cramped, and conversation is difficult. Although I loved the food, I probably will not go back.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Food shack was highly recommended to us and I'm glad we tried it. Fish was very fresh and the food was good with a different flare. The shrimp cakes were amazing! Definitely worth trying.

1  Thank BellaBella30
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This place is amazing. Really fresh food. Amazing combination of ingredients grace many types of fish, other seafood and pastas. Not like anywhere else you have ever been. It is a really small, narrow restaurant in a strip mall. Several tables along one wall and the bar on the other side. You can sit at the bar and watch the cooking happening if you want. I only wish the place was bigger. I have to eat here at least once every time I'm in town. No reservations, so go for lunch or prepare to wait!

1  Thank jhdwld