“Oh NO!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I love Indian Food. We we're looking for a place in South Florida as they are few and far between. My husband and I went on week night and were very excited. We got there and NO ONE was in the restaurant but one guy who did everything. Worried? Yes. But we soldiered on. Ordered Chicken Tikka Masala, Lamb Vindaloo, Garlic Naan, and Vegetable Basmati Rice as well as 2 martinis. This guy didn't know how to make martinis. We said we'd show him. He didn't have any of the items you nee to make one. he kept suggesting we have an Indian Beer!! No thanks. Food came and although tasty, there was very little of it. Normally Indian portions are not very big so this is to be expected, but we were literally served two small dishes of sauce with a couple of pieces of meat in them. Sauces were delicious... but not a meal. So back to the drawing board on finding a good Indian Restaurant.

1  Thank Lori B

Reviewed December 30, 2013

In the height of the season on a weekend night you would think they would have,enough waiters to handle the 5 tables of customers but the waiters were completely overwhelmed. He forgot to bring our appetizer, brought it half way through our entree. You would think it would have been removed from our bill but no such luck. The table was not fully set so my husband had to scavenge a fork for me off another table. We were brought delicious crisp bread and three dipping sauces. We used our fork and knife and instead of replacing it the waiter actually picked up our utensils,
wiped them on the dish to be removed and laid them back down. Seriously? Now I am expected to use that same fork? Many of the table have lights overhead that make you feel as though you are about to be interrogated. Not exactly romantic.
The food was good but take out would be my only recommendation. Steer clear of dining in.

1  Thank Jupiterbeachers
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Excellent chicken birysni and chicken vindaloo. Huge portions: had lunch for two next day. It was very quiet evening with only few people - nice place for couples...

1  Thank Tatsera
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The Saffron is an exotic jewel that is set inside what was once an old school, dark steakhouse-type restaurant which occupies a space on the first floor of a non-descript office building. Plus, there ARE the ties to Burt Reynolds.

The restaurant is located in the Reynolds Plaza building which is next door to the former Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater. Also, our server told us that back in the old days, the space that the Saffron currently occupies was once a lavish restaurant owned by Mr. Reynolds and that it was frequented by celebrities. (That might explain the VIP/banquet room set off in the back and the dance floor.)

Anyway, on to the food. For an appetizer, we had the lamb samosas. Now usually when we order meat samosas from other Indian establishments, they are skimpy on the meat but generous on the vegetables. Not here. Our samosas were stuffed with ground lamb meat and very little to no veggies (at least not in mine!) They were very tasty.

For entrees, we had a couple of biryanis. My husband had the lamb biryani which he ordered "extra, extra Indian hot." Usually when he orders a dish that hot, it comes out reasonably spicy but not not enough for my spouse. Well, at the Saffron they know how to turn up the heat. My husband was actually sweating from the spices! But he loved every bite of the dish.

As for me, I ordered the Saffron special biryani which included chicken, lamb and shrimp. The menu had stated that the dish was also supposed to include eggs and rasins but I never saw either on my plate. But regardless, I absolutely LOVED this dish and would order it again if I ever get the chance.

As an accompaniment to the entrees, we chose a simple buttered naan bread which complimented the spiciness of the biryani nicely.

The Saffron must do mainly carry outs because despite my husband and I being there on a Saturday evening, we were the only ones seated in the spacious dining room. A couple of folks came in for take out orders while we were there but otherwise, we had the place to ourselves - which was fine by us!

1  Thank chakkuri
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a Saturday night dinner at Saffron a few weeks ago.
At first, we thought the place was closed, however we ventured in. We are happy that we
did. The food was excellent, the service friendly, the decor, very unusual for an Indian Restaurant. The server informed us, that the restaurant use to be Burt Reynolds night club.
That explains the decor! The server also informed us, that there was another Saffron restaurant in West Palm Beach. We highly recommend the restaurant, the food is wonderful. I agree with a previous review, that they need to advertise more!

1  Thank Inge16