“Great Tropical Setting”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We ate there yesterday- had a good meal. The setting is really tropical and lush on the inter coastal in Jupiter. There are a variety of places to sit, including tiki huts and around the bar. My meal was tasty I ordered grilled shrimp skewer with a crab cake. In addition you get to order two sides, I chose sweet plantains and black beans. They have a variety of fresh Florida fish and a few meat dishes as well. Ribs were on special 1/2 slab for sale $ 21.99, I thought way too steep for the offering. They had a few other specials as well. Bread was not on the table or included, one of our dining partners wanted some bread with his salad. They brought our a cuban roll- a white hamburger bun, not very exciting to say the least. My husband ordered coconut encrusted grouper with jam on it- he thought that the jam was way too sweet and did not add anything to the taste of the fish. The service was very good, our waitress told us she has been there for two years and was on top of things . She noticed drinks half gone and brought over refills without having to be asked.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,190)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've gone here a couple of times and always enjoy it. The tables out under the trees, overlooking the water is just beautiful. To have a drink sitting in big Adirondacks overlooking the water while waiting for our table is always heavenly. The drinks are great and it's a fun bar with a really nice, friendly bar staff. Their fish dishes have never disappointed me. I only ever get the seafood - hey! It's Florida, after all!! Cool t-shirts too.

1  Thank CaryKaren
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a beautiful outdoor restaurant, right beside a river, with all sorts of tropical trees and plants. A lot of people like to go there, and it even has a reputation for celebrity "sightings." But the real reason you go to a restaurant is to have a good meal provided with good service, and on both counts Guanabanas is just average.

Our party of four arrived in the middle of the afternoon, so we expected to be seated without too much of a wait. The "hostess" was a very young woman, late teen/early twenties, who was in over her head. We could see plenty of empty tables, yet waited over a half hour to be seated. Because it was cool (March--60 degrees and shady) my wife went and stood near a heater next to an empty table. I waited near the hostess station. Waitresses were coming back and forth to have conferences with the hostess; several diners who arrived after us were seated before us; and others who were waiting in the bar also got tables--eventually. I have no idea how long they waited. Either it is a restaurant policy to give the illusion of being popular all day long, or a gimmick to get you to buy drinks, or just poor service, but after the half hour wait we were seated at the very (still empty) table my wife had been standing near to stay warm.

We did have a nice waitress who was going off to college soon (smart decision!!) and after we ordered, the food was prepared in less time than we had already spent in the "chill" atmosphere. It was mediocre tasting, with small portions, for the price. As we departed we saw several more "twentysomethings" taking a break from the kitchen. My guess is the owners make a lot of money by hiring young, inexperienced college-age kids at minimum wage (or less) while charging above average prices for the atmosphere. For the close to $100 bill for lunch, I don't think it was worth it.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We love to come here for the wonderful atmosphere and the great deals at happy hour. During their happy hour certain drinks and appetizers are half price. Great place to go after a spring training game!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Happy Hour 3-6 provides some great appetizers, sandwiches and drinks at half price. Suggest going early since only available at their 'high top tables'. Great setting on the river among tropical foliage. Went with another couple and got out at less than $60 for 5-6 meal items, high end drinks, and a generous tip for terrific service.

Been to Guanabanas? Share your experiences!