“Conchy Joes ain't cheap”

Conchy Joe's Seafood
Ranked #7 of 109 Restaurants in Jensen Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I will start this review by stating that I am not a seafood lover. I was born and raised in NM and my idea of seafood as a child was fishsticks and ketchup.That was my past experience. Fortunately I have learned that trying different foods makes life more enjoyable and I do what I can to overcome silly misconceptions. I have made it a point that when I am in a coastal city or town that I will go to a seafood restaurant and sample local flavors, albeit its mainly tilapia or salmon. Hey! Give a brother a break! :)

I was in town visiting family and Conchy Joe's was their suggestion for that Saturday evening. We arrived just in time to catch one final song by the reggae cover band that plays in the bar area. Good times were had by all, although the rain kept diners out of the patio area.

We were seated in the dining area and the family ordered Fried Calamari and Alligator Tid Bits to begin. Both were okay, nothing special. Although, in comparison to Pappadeaux, there was less meat on Conchy's alligator. The bread basket was good. Again, there was nothing special about any of the breads. For dinner I ordered the Fish in a Bag...and it was disappointing. I've had better tilapia from a NM restaurant. One reason for the disappointment was the price. Conchy Joes is pretty expensive. If you read my other reviews, you see I appreciate a good value. I do not consider myself cheap, but when I pay about $20 for fish, well, I anticipate eating it all. Not here, it cooled off within five minutes and the dark spots were a turn-off. Of the ten of us that ate there that night, only 2-3 enjoyed the food and were okay with the prices.

Other aspects about the restaurant- Service. We were a family of 10, but our waitress seemed bothered. I do not know if it was us, but she didn't seem to be particularly concerned with getting my aunt her salad nor my uncle his beer. She was okay, but once again, when you eat at a restaurant with $20 entrees, you expect a certain level of service. I didn't receive it here.

Overall, the restaurant was okay. Nothing special and nothing to remember. I also ate at Kona Beach Cafe and had a better experience. Feel free to check that out. :)

1  Thank Rodney A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,041)

Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

This place is right on the river, try to sit out in the back area over looking the water. Food was excellent! Conch chowder was great & the broiled seafood platter was wonderful! House made key lime pie tops off the meal!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

from hutchinson island you cross over a bridge indian river/st lucie river its on the river very beach jungle atmospher very rustic mostly out=door seating thatched roofs island drinks good food entertainment

Reviewed September 12, 2013

If you can, get a seat outside. You can see and feed the catfish. They are amazing to see as there are at least 100 of them scurrying around to get some food (bread). The conch fritters are really good and the clam chowder was excellent, so buttery. The shrimp pasta is right up there too, as one of the favorites. It's a little pricey, but still comparable to other restaurants in the area, but the food is better.
The view of the bridge between Jensen Beach and Hutchinson Isl is awesome at night.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Always enjoy visiting this place. So much fun and the food is great. Good time and reasonable.
There is a great variety on the menu so lots to please all taste bud types.