“Traditional Comfort Food”

Milano's At The Beach
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tallahassee, Florida
“Traditional Comfort Food”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Dean Martin, in the mid-1960s, would have been comfortable at this modest but pleasant restaurant serving traditional favorites in a very traditional way. The veal dishes we had were mama's cooking at its best. The garlic bread was garlic bread at its best; and the salads were crunchy-fresh. The service was very good, and the pricing was surprisingly generous--to the customer, not the proprietor. It was not haute cuisine--for a change--that was refreshing. We plan to visit again the next time that we are in Jacksonville.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Vandover

“Dinner”
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Had a great experience. Waitstaff was very accommodating. I had my 10yo and 2yo with us. Order the shrimp capprioti (spelling might be wrong on that). It was awesome!!! Great quick Italian food. Inside and outside seating. Very small but it does have a bar area with a bunch of TVs. Highly recommend!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Outstanding Food”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We happened upon this restaurant because we did not want to walk far from our hotel. With a party of five, three of whom are teens, Italian food seemed like a great choice, and it was a wise one! We ordered chicken piccata, Stromboli, pizza, calzones, salads and bruschetta (as the appetizer). Everyone loved the meal, and the service was exceptional. The portions are big, so consider splitting an item like the calzones if you're not a big eater; we had to get to-go boxes for four of the five entrees that were ordered.

Visited July 2014
Atlantic Beach, Florida
“If half-stars were allowed, it would be 2 and a half....”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

So between 2 and 3 stars, and not being able to decide, I'll go 3, not sure I should. This is a reasonable priced casual place about 12 minutes from my house, they, like many, do a fair amount of print advertising with coupons, and 'specials', like every Tuesday is chicken parm for $8, usually $13. So you save $5, but it's really $4, because the included salad is suddenly $1 extra on special night. Recently retired, we need to find places with good food and reasonable pricing that are also nice places to go. This place has a varied menu, decent beer selection, and a wine list that is not large, but a nice selection thru the low and moderate price points.

So we walk in, sign says sit where you like, we head outside. First table we started to sit at had puddles on it, from condensation on drink glasses. Also an ashtray with butts, that never was removed all evening. We selected another table. Server came directly, was pretty much on top of things and we got beer and wine in short order. She really didn't know the right way to open a wine bottle, just ripped thru the foil leaving it all jagged, and I thought she was going to break off the cork trying to extract it. Got it out ok though. In a bit we had selected our food.

We had gone for the special on the parm, the wife elected to deviate to eggplant parm at $11 (I think) and that included salad. Salad came and at that point we requested our napkins and utensils. A minute later the entrees came, and we were informed there was bread in the oven, and it would be out.

My chicken was ok, no better, the eggplant my wife thought was pretty good. When the bread finally arrived, it was good, not great, and of course it should have been brought much earlier. We also had the server keep sticking the cork back into the red wine bottle, a problem solved by just losing the cork.

Portions were generous so we passed on desert. While we were eating a guy came out in a cook's getup and asked us how everything was, and he announced himself as the owner and 'do everything' guy. He seemed annoyed that our server had not brought the bread yet and in fact went and got it. He also bussed another table after those guests had left, but no one ever did come and mop up the puddles from the condensation off the water glasses. Just seems like a strange way to leave the tables with your guests invited to seat themselves.

I'm thinking the chicken parm, being on special, was made up in advance and that didn't help it. My wife is frankly somewhat picky (I cook at home and I know), so if she thought hers was pretty good, I'll try the place again. These smaller things like tables not properly cleaned, servers not knowing correct way to handle wine (the bottle was $34, it was not in the swill category), bread coming after entrees served, having to request utensils, all add up to an image that management is simply not on top of things as much as they should be. With the owner bussing dishes and a "Help Wanted" sign posted, maybe it's a temporary thing that we won't have on next visit. I'll update later.

• Visited May 2014
Atlantic Beach, Florida
“Great local Italian restaurant at the beach”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Tried Milano's for the first time - we had friends visiting from Chicago (where there are hundreds of excellent Italian restaurants). They wanted to eat at a "neighborhood" place where the food was not fancy, but really good. I'd heard good things about Milano's, and we weren't disappointed. The sauces were delicious, seafood very fresh and traditional dishes - such as pizza and stuffed shells - were excellent. Portions and included sides were very generous. Service was friendly and the ambiance comfortable. We definitely will return.

• Visited March 2014