“Not the same as it used to be...”

Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
“Not the same as it used to be...”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel used to be a comfort inn. It was an excellent hotel, had absolutely no complaints. In fact it was so good we came back for almost 15 years. Then last year Hilton bought the hotel and turned it into a Hampton inn. I won't event comment on our experience last year when they were doing the renovations. I'll just tell you that it's better I don't. So for the last 15 years we have always booked a pool view room and the comfort inn charged different rates for city view, pool view, and ocean front rooms. No big deal, but we wanted pool view and when we booked the room we paid the pool view rate and booked a pool view room. We booked our room about 6 months in advance and there was no disclaimer saying that we may not get a pool view room. Every indication led us to believe it was guaranteed. When we arrived the very obnoxious argumentative front desk lady told us they had no pool view rooms available and gave us a city view instead. This was not acceptable. The lady then argued with us saying they have always charged the same rate for city and pool view... completely false, I remind you this is the 16th year we have stayed here. The best she could do was give us a city view for the first night then have us change rooms. We did that. The management of this hotel is done the worst I have ever seen. At about 4 in the afternoon there were three little girls, about 10 years old, sitting in the hot tub. This is a huge medical safety concern. We informed the management of this since the girls were unsupervised and there rules clearly state no one under 18 is allowed in the hot tub. Management did nothing about it. They just went over talked to the girls, girls got out, management left, girls got back in. We told the management about it again and they told us there was nothing to do. Glad those weren't my children. Other than these management issues, the rooms and decor and environment and hot breakfast were outstanding. In the end, we will not being staying here again. We will opt for another hotel on the beach with better management. The comfort inn was a million times better.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank breimer273
Brad W, General Manager at Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Breimer273,

Thank you for the review and taking the time to discuss your stay with me over the phone. I appreciate the feedback, and we look forward to having you back again to stay with us for the 16th year.

Brad Whitaker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
easley, United States
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The hotel is really cool. The pool is great. It has 2 water falls and is kid friendly. Easy access to the beach. This hotel is really a nice place to stay. Easy access to the main roads and easy access to resturants

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over the 4th of July weekend. The front desk staff was great, check in was easy and rooms were very clean and spacious. This hotel offers a hot breakfast, not your typical cereal and toast, but eggs, waffles , sausage,etc.....was very good!. My family loved the pool and the beach. This hotel is located very close to restaurants and bars and located directly on the beach. We visited the "tiki bar" which was a bit overpriced and the bartenders on the 4th seemed a bit overwhelmed and cranky. We decided that we would just sit by the amazing pool and enjoy our day. We then went back to the tiki bar on Friday for lunch, the same bartender was there and did not appear to want to take our food order, in fact she ignored us for quite sometime. We decided to go get a bite to eat at another establishment that was within walking distance from the hotel. We had more family members visit us on Saturday, we had a baysitter for the children so once again we decided to go back to the tiki bar for a few drinks and relaxtion, we were pleasantly surprised with the bartender on duty she was friendly, smiled and was definatly on her game. Skye made us feel welcome, asked us about our visit and really had a GREAT attitude!. We then decided to go back on Saturday evening for a quick drink prior to our dinner and once again we had great service with a smile from a young lady named Lauren. This bartender was excelllant, once again she was happy and gracious and just easy to talk to. We really enjoyed these two young ladies as they were the reason that we would go back. Most staff seemed very happy and welcoming. There seems to be a one or two (bartenders) that may need some help with customer service. Other than that we will defiantly be coming back next year to this hotel. Rooms are clean, front desk was gerat, breakfast was top-notch and Lauren and Skye are great at what they do. Thank you Hampton Inn for a great 4th of July weekend!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank marcy r
Brad W, Manager at Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Marcy R,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about Skye, Lauren, breakfast, and the front desk staff. We appreciate your comments and suggestions. We hope to have you stay with us again!

Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach\Oceanfront
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here for a week in June. We had an oceanfront, king bed room on the fifth floor. We had a mini fridge, loveseat/living room area, and a large balcony. Our view was amazing, the bed was comfortable, and we enjoyed our big room. Be warned-the walls are thin. We could hear voices and conversations regularly from the room next to us. The daily breakfast was way better than I expected with a variety of choices and daily changes in the menu. The pool was just awesome. The waterfalls and lagoon style pool surrounded by palm trees were beautiful. My only complaint about the pool was young children and kids "took over" the hot tub when there was a big sign saying that you had to be 18; however noone, including the staff or the parents, said anything to them so we decided to stay out of the hot tub. The setting of the tiki bar overlooking the beach was nice and the food was decent but the prices were a little high for drinks. We ate at the tiki bar once and got drinks there twice but we would have gone more often if it wasn't so expensive. Music or live bands would have been a good idea there since there's plenty of space for some entertainment. Find the hammock in the tiki bar area on a clear night- just beautiful! The staff was very friendly and they went out of their way to say hi to us or ask how our stay was going. This hotel is directly on the beach and about ten blocks away from the pier (heart of Jacksonville beach). The location of the hotel is good if you like to be close to all the hustle and bustle but still far away enough to not be in with all the crowds. In fact, we walked down to the pier/busier side of the beach and it was a lot more crowded and the beach was dirtier. However, the beach right outside the hotel was clean and beautiful everyday with plenty of room to sprawl out. We saw dolphins jumping in the water on our last days there. Laundry on site was helpful and they have a little convenience store with the basics if you need something. There is a place next door where you can rent beach chairs, umbrellas, surf boards, and kayaks for very reasonable prices. Overall, a great place to stay and we would return!!

Room Tip: Ask for an oceanfront room on the fifth floor or higher. There are palm trees and sand dunes that se...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 578AmandaZ
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Hampton Inn has been our home this week. We are staying in Jacksonville with 19 kids from ages 13-20 who swim together and are here on a training trip. The staff has been great about accomodating us. The breakfast on the go was great. We have loved the pool and access to the beach is ideal. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Whitesburg, Kentucky
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I asked for a ocean front room on a higher floor when I made my reservation and I even called a week before my stay and confirmed that they had me down for a higher floor. Now I know that they don't promise you will get what you ask for but I figured it was worth asking for. I arrived that evening around 6 pm and my room was not ready yet. Check in was at 4 pm, I couldn't believe my room wasn't ready. They put my on the 3rd floor so I wouldn't have to wait on a room. My view was horrible. I could hardly see the ocean due to 2 trees right in front of my balcony. If I didn't want a view I could have got a ocean view room instead of an ocean front room and saved some money. Breakfast was good, the pool is warm and they provide towels. The walls are very thin, if the people in the room beside of you decide to leave the tv on all night then that is what you get to hear also. Not a very good family hotel, no kiddie pool and lots of drunk people around the pool area due to the tiki bar. The hotel was clean and I thought the beds were comfy. I absolutely loved the black girl that worked the front desk at night/early morning. I didn't get her name but every time that I talked to her she went out of her way to meet my needs. She was the only person that I met while I was there that talked to me like she really cared about my needs as a hotel guest....she deserves a promotion.

Room Tip: If you want ocean front ask for a room 4th floor or higher. If you don't get ocean front then b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brad W, General Manager at Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear MistyC7,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach and for staying with us.

Your comments about Simone at the desk are wonderful, and have been passed along so she could be recognized for her efforts. We will look into the items mentioned, as we are always striving to impove our service for our guests. Thank you, again.

Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach\Oceanfront
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were in town for a wedding, and were completely happy with this hotel, everyone/staff always said hello/good morning, we stayed beach front and could walk (very short walk) right to the beach, and the pool was right around the corner from our room as well, we ordered lunch right by the pool one afternoon and it was delish !!! everything was very clean, we were glad we stayed here, and will remember to most definitely stay here if we are in the area again !!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
One Ocean Resort & Spa
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
Best Western Oceanfront
Best Western Oceanfront
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonvil...
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront? Share your experiences!