“Great Hotel Experience”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hot Springs, Arkansas
“Great Hotel Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Jacksonville Beach where we stayed at the Marriott Courtyard. This hotel has a great location right on the beach along with a great pool and outdoor bar complete with a fire pit and plenty of tables and chairs. The oceanview rooms are worth the extra money because of the fabulous view and the balconies are plenty big enough for two people to sit comfortably. The rooms are large and very clean. We prefer Marriott and Hilton properties and debated for a long time on whether to stay at the Hampton Inn (which is directly next door) or at the Courtyard. I checked out the Hampton while I was there and although it was fine, the Courtyard was much nicer for just a few dollars more. Biggest drawback is that there is no free breakfast but they do serve breakfast in their beautiful oceanview restaurant for $11.95. The very friendly and helpful staff informed us that the restaurant would become a full service restaurant beginning in January which should be nice as restaurants are not within walking distance to the hotel. An added special treat is that fresh brewed coffee and hot tea and hot chocolate are available 24 hours a day in the lobby. They even serve fresh baked cookies in the afternoon.
Ocean front, free parking, no resort fees....all add to make this a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Should definitely have the oceanfront rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan822013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Sanford, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

The hotel is clean and staff is friendly.
The oceanfront view room is worth extra money if you get the one on the 3rd floor or higher. The balcony rail does not block the view which is a big plus.
The breakfast is not included in the room price, but if you ask when booking they may include it as they did for me. There is a good variety of choices, from oatmeal, waffles, omelet , scrambled eggs, etc.
PROS:
the view, hanging out by the fire-pit in the evening, and being able to just walk out on the beach.
CONS:
I got overcharged for the tip I left at breakfast which I noticed while checking out. Make sure you keep track of all the charges you put on the room.

Room Tip: 3rd floor or higher if choosing oceanfront view. It is worth every penny.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Are you tired of paying resort fees, parking fees, wireless fees? Have you had it with paying 4 or 5 bucks for a cuppa coffee or $20 for breakfast? Me too. That's why I like this place. The location is perfect, the prices are very reasonable and the staff is very friendly and helpful. This place is a resort but doesn't know it!.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rambomania
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

This place is da bomb! The value is great. The staff is great. The view is great. The pool is great. The ocean is great. The drinks are great. The room is great. The front desk staff is very helpful. The bartenders are very helpful. The housekeeping staff is very helpful.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms by the pool side, 130s - 150s
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chrsitian H
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night prior to a cruise. Great pool area with an outside bar and a TV in the bar showing Sunday night football! We walked the beach at night and ran it the next morning! Many food and drink options located about a 20 minute walk from the hotel. We were allowed to check in at about 1230 and were greeted with prompt friendly service and a clean room. Would stay here again!!!

• Stayed September 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed here for a quick weekend getaway. Room was on 3rd floor facing the ocean. Beautiful view off the balcony, but still quiet on that side. Room was right by the elevator so sometimes got a little noisy. 2 queen size beds, desk, table, chair, etc, and still room in living space. Bathroom was clean and spacious as well. Hotel doesn't provide beach chairs, but they're for sale on the beach. Hotel does provide pool towels that you can take to the beach. Hotel pool and hot tub clean and not crowded when I was there, also has a bar. Hotel staff friendly. Lobby has a lounge area and small "marketplace" where you can get beverages, food & snacks. Restaurants a short drive away, and a great Thai place right across the street. Would definitely stay here again. A/C was easy to control. Room has microwave & mini-fridge.

Room Tip: Rooms away from elevator are better.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Several folks from my work routinely stay at this hotel while in Jacksonville on business. I myself have stayed here twice--once last December and then again last week. On my first trip, the hotel was great. It was clean. The staff was friendly. One of the ladies I was traveling with found a bug in her room, but she told the front desk and was promptly given a new bug-free room. Overall though--I had only positive things to say about it. This last experience however, was quite the opposite. I got out of bed on the first morning and was sitting at the desk when I saw a bug crawling over/through my sheets. I grabbed a tissue, got the bug and flushed it. I then "tossed" the whole bed, sheets and all--and found horrible stains and little rust-brown spots on the edge of the mattress. I took a picture of the mattress, got dressed and went downstairs to speak with the front desk. The girl at the front desk was extremely polite and handled the situation very professionally. She said that by the time I got off of work, I would have a new room waiting for me and she offered to have the staff move my belongings. I put my luggage in my work associate's room, but asked if the staff would move my refrigerator contents. When I got back in the afternoon, there had been a change of front desk staff, one person who seemed confused by what I had to say and the other who kept listening to us talk and then would go behind a door to the manager's office and then would reappear a minute later. The second fellow ended up stepping in and said that my new room was all ready to go. I had been upgraded to a very nice room--free of any extra charges. I retrieved my luggage and went to my new room. The view was stunning. The mattress (oh yes, I checked)--looked bright white and brand new. Then I walked into the bathroom and the very nice shower had other people's soap remnants still sitting in it. I'm not talking about little soap shavings--I'm talking about a 2 inch by 1 inch obviously used soap remnant. At this point, I just wanted to finish my trip and go home. So I said nothing to the front desk. I really don't want to be the always-cranky patron. Later that day, my work associate and I walked down to the beach. When we returned, we went to use the outdoor shower to wash off our legs--but it was broken. We found a garden hose hanging on the fence next to it and figured it must be the intended alternative. Also, during this trip, my work associate was kept up all night the first night by the physical activities of the couple next door...literally all night long, every hour on the hour. She did check the next day to make sure the couple checked out--or she would have also asked to change rooms. When I got back from my trip, I found out from my boss that during her last trip to the hotel a few weeks earlier, she was also kept up all night--this time by teenagers partying. She was told by hotel staff the next morning that the police had been called on them. My boss also believes the cleanliness has gone downhill--as do I. The one bright spot--everyone I spoke with who works at the hotel was nice/polite. If they can fix the cleanliness, bug and broken object issues--they would have a stellar hotel once again. I don't think I'll be staying there again, but it has great potential.

Room Tip: Spring for the key-card access only 7th floor. Stunning views, newer mattresses.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JustDucky73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,409 reviews
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
One Ocean Resort & Spa
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
BEST WESTERN Oceanfront
BEST WESTERN Oceanfront
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonvil...
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Jacksonville Beach
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marrio...
#7 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!