“Not the same as it used to be”

Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Several folks from my work routinely stay at this hotel while in Jacksonville on business. I myself have stayed here twice--once last December and then again last week. On my first trip, the hotel was great. It was clean. The staff was friendly. One of the ladies I was traveling with found a bug in her room, but she told the front desk and was promptly given a new bug-free room. Overall though--I had only positive things to say about it. This last experience however, was quite the opposite. I got out of bed on the first morning and was sitting at the desk when I saw a bug crawling over/through my sheets. I grabbed a tissue, got the bug and flushed it. I then "tossed" the whole bed, sheets and all--and found horrible stains and little rust-brown spots on the edge of the mattress. I took a picture of the mattress, got dressed and went downstairs to speak with the front desk. The girl at the front desk was extremely polite and handled the situation very professionally. She said that by the time I got off of work, I would have a new room waiting for me and she offered to have the staff move my belongings. I put my luggage in my work associate's room, but asked if the staff would move my refrigerator contents. When I got back in the afternoon, there had been a change of front desk staff, one person who seemed confused by what I had to say and the other who kept listening to us talk and then would go behind a door to the manager's office and then would reappear a minute later. The second fellow ended up stepping in and said that my new room was all ready to go. I had been upgraded to a very nice room--free of any extra charges. I retrieved my luggage and went to my new room. The view was stunning. The mattress (oh yes, I checked)--looked bright white and brand new. Then I walked into the bathroom and the very nice shower had other people's soap remnants still sitting in it. I'm not talking about little soap shavings--I'm talking about a 2 inch by 1 inch obviously used soap remnant. At this point, I just wanted to finish my trip and go home. So I said nothing to the front desk. I really don't want to be the always-cranky patron. Later that day, my work associate and I walked down to the beach. When we returned, we went to use the outdoor shower to wash off our legs--but it was broken. We found a garden hose hanging on the fence next to it and figured it must be the intended alternative. Also, during this trip, my work associate was kept up all night the first night by the physical activities of the couple next door...literally all night long, every hour on the hour. She did check the next day to make sure the couple checked out--or she would have also asked to change rooms. When I got back from my trip, I found out from my boss that during her last trip to the hotel a few weeks earlier, she was also kept up all night--this time by teenagers partying. She was told by hotel staff the next morning that the police had been called on them. My boss also believes the cleanliness has gone downhill--as do I. The one bright spot--everyone I spoke with who works at the hotel was nice/polite. If they can fix the cleanliness, bug and broken object issues--they would have a stellar hotel once again. I don't think I'll be staying there again, but it has great potential.

Room Tip: Spring for the key-card access only 7th floor. Stunning views, newer mattresses.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JustDucky73

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Due to a very hectic schedule, my husband and I are not getting to take our usual vacation.....just getting a weekend here and there. This also was in celebration of our 33 rd anniversary. As we have been so busy, my husband chose somewhere fairly close,only about 2 hour drive or so for us. We usually prefer Marriott properties when at all possible, and we were so pleased !!!!!! I am extremely picky about cleanliness, as I am in the medical profession, and this property was as clean as any I have ever stayed .......including the Ritz !! The entrance ,lobby, elevator, pool , beach access area all very clean ( which is difficult when directly on ocean). This hotel is DIRECTLY on the beach, with excellant beach access. Our room was extremely clean as well. Very nice ocean front room with balcony. I do advise staying on 4th or 5th floor for good ocean view, as some of the rooms look out over a lower roof,I think of the restaurant. The balcony was nice size, and had very comfortable chairs. Wifi worked well, and was easy to access. We were very close to elevator and ice and vending, but was not bothered at all with noise. ONLY one complaint if I had one is I believe this is suppose to be a non-smoking property, and one night we felt sure either the guest in the next room was smoking in room, and or on balcony......very strong cigarette smoke smell for awhile. I would have called front desk, had this persisted. We will definitely be back, makes a very quick, and easy weekend get-away for us. All the staff was very helpful, and professional, and presented themselves well. Beds were very comfortable, and clean, nice adequate towels and bath supplies. Coffee and small refrigerator, as well as iron , hairdryer in room. Just can't say enough how pleased we were,especially for the money. Great price for oceanfront room !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Choose 4th floor or higher......better view .
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here one night so we didn't have to drive after my bachelorette party. The room was beautiful and had a fantastic balcony. To save $40 we opted not to have an ocean view but we were able to see people coming and going. Jax beach is great for people watching.

Although we didn't go, Metro Diner which has been featured on diners, drive ins and dives is two blocks away. Best diner hands down in jax if you ask me. Also a must try is Mshack a mile down the road in Neptune beach. Amazing burgers!!! If your an out of Towner or want a nice place to stay at the beach this is a good one.

Only one negative.... No room service!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have been a long term marriott customer yet this was one time I chose to make mention. I was totally impressed by Thomas that greeted us at the front desk and on many occasions during our long term stay. It is refreshing to see people that are dedicated to providing excellent customer service.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a great hotel in the JAX beach area. Nice pool, right on the beach, great sitting areas with a fire pit. There is a bar and breakfast area; wish this property would upgrade to have The Bistro like other Courtyards. Will stay again when in area. Wifi worked well and rooms clean and comfortable

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The hotel is clean and well maintained. From the staff at the front desk to the housekeeping staff all treat you as though you were part of their family. I feel very much at home in this hotel. We enjoyed the wonderful breakfast in the lobby lounge.

We enjoyed the pool and the pool bar. The hotel is right on the beach which made it so convenient for morning walks and watching evening sunsets on the patio. I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Jacksonville Beaches.

Room Tip: It is worth every penny of upgrading to the oceanfront room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed over the Labor Day weekend. Arrived early on check in day knowing that I could not check in until 4 PM however the front desk staff gave me a parking pass and a pool key so we could enjoy the beachand pool until our room was ready. They also requested my phone number so they could let me know as soon as my room was available which turned out to be around 2:30 PM. Also, the young man in the resturaunt allowed me to charge my lunch to my room around noon which was well before I even had a room assignment. I was very impressed by this type of customer service.

As far as the motel, we loved it. The location is perfect. It is located right on the beach and has many nice places to eat and shop close by. I would recommend the Salt Life resturaunt which is just a few blocks away on A!A.

Chairs and umbrellas were available to rent on the beach but we did not need them since we brought our own. There was also a lifeguard located right in front of the motel on the beach which was nice.

The room was extremely clean, furniture very new and modern including the furniture on the balcony. Some of the nicest I have seen for a motel balcony by the ocean. We chose not to have our room cleaned since we were only staying two nights so I cannot comment on the maid service but we had plenty of towels and wash cloths for two people for 3 days and two nights.

I would definitely stay here again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
1 mi away
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
One Ocean Resort & Spa
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
Best Western Oceanfront
Best Western Oceanfront
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express
Holiday Inn Express
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!