“Never Again”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I have never tried Carrabbas. A friend had a coupon so we thought we would try it. The place always seems to be busy so I thought the food would probably be good. Not true. I think a lot of people just tend to go towards chain restaurants rather than try an unknown place. They should read reviews for the cities they are visiting and they would find much better meals than wasting their money on chains.

I ordered a pene pasta with artichokes, mushrooms and I added the shrimp. The whole dish was covered with what looked like shredded cheese. But whatever it was never even melted. Even on top of the hot pasta. I tasted a piece of it by itself and it was powdery and dry. Not sure what it was supposed to be. If it was cheese it was some processed substitute.

The shrimp that were added (5 little shrimp for $5) were so over seasoned and salty, they were not enjoyable at all. At least the pasta wasn't overcook and there really were artichoke hearts in there along with mushrooms and roasted red peppers.

I had the Italian salad. The dressing was watered down and had very little flavor. One of the few redeeming things about the meal was the warm fresh bread with olive oil and seasonings for dipping.

I wouldn't bother going back again ... coupon or not. I'd much rather visit local Italian restaurants that are true to the real flavors.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

My husband and I ate here twice during our stay in nearby Ponte Vedra Beach and the food was delicious and well presented both times. We were lucky enough to get the same server both times, a young man who was knowledgeable, courteous and provided great service. We were both very satisfied with our meals and the atmosphere provided just the right balance of ambiance and cozy comfort for us. We have a Carrabas 20 minutes from our home that we have tried since returning from our vacation but it didn't compare to this Carrabas, having more of a more casual "Applebees" environment, food not well plated or as well prepared, the salad was not so crisply fresh nor were the croutons so crisp and light. We were disappointed that our Carrabas turned out to be inferior to the Jax Beach one but we happily return to this one on our next vacation!

Reviewed March 4, 2011

Had my first meal in a Carrabba's yesterday, and it will be my last. Like many other Italian chains, Carrabba's tries way too hard and as a result violates the most basic rule of Italian cooking: Keep it Simple Stupid. My calamari and pasta dish were both way over-spiced. Now, I enjoy spicy food (Indian) and I'm generally not hard to please. But this was ridiculous and disgusting. As a bonus, I found a piece of plastic wrap in my pasta. The bread was pretty good though.

Reviewed October 5, 2010

We arrived late one Saturday night, about 45 mins before closing. We were served with typical Carraba's style. Our server didn't seem to be as familiar with the dishes as we are used to, but we all tried something new and weren't disappointed. Dinner for 3 was about $60 before tip, with only one glass of wine on the check. It seemed a little higher than locations away from the beach.

Reviewed July 14, 2010

I am a regular visitor to Jax beach (3/4 times each year) and always include Carrabba's when I'm in town. Despite this being a chain restaurant it feels like a family run place. The staff get to know you, what you drink and what your food taste is.
The food is consistently great. On my last visit I complained (lightly) that it had been a while since they had offered seared tuna; 2 nights later a bartender (who I hadn't seen for months) greeted me with the news that tuna was on that night especially for me. Beat that!
However, it is the staff that make it so special; Thanks Guys!

1  Thank Kildress