“Good food, lousy service”
Review of The Metro Diner

The Metro Diner
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is my second visit to the metro diner. I've tried to go several other times but it is a very popular place and certainly not worth fighting a big crowd. Today I waited until 9:30 to find plenty of empty tables. Once again my food was very good (not great-but certainly above average). Unfortunately, also once again, the service was terrible! I had to ask twice to get silverware and a napkin. Then, a request for a water refill was totally ignored. Trying to get the attention of my so-called "server" to pay my bill was equally difficult. I ended up leaving the payment on the table. I'm usually a generous tipper but, this time, I think 5% was probably too generous! I'm sure that I will eventually return to Metro Diner- but not anytime soon!

There are newer reviews for The Metro Diner

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Metro Diner can satisfy all tastes. Our friends got breakfast - pancakes, waffles, etc. My husband and I got dinner - the pot roast special and the chicken pot pie. The pot roast was perfectly done - not tough or stringy but not overcooked - and served with great mashed potatoes and vegetables that had been cooked with the pot roast (carrots, celery, onions). The chicken pot pie was "real." It was not just chicken stew with a biscuit on top; the crust had been cooked with the chicken. And both the chicken and the crust were yummy! The waitress was smiley and attentive. We would definitely go back.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is a great place to have a wonderful breakfast. They have many options, I would suggest the San Francisco eggs Benedict. The staff is quick and courteous. This is my second trip to the Metro Diner and I would eat here every time I visit this area.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Just left the restaurant. Ordered a greek omelette. Supposed to have olives tomatoes spinach and feta. The spinach was obviously frozen n mushy. There was approximately one teaspoon of feta cheese on it. They completely forgot my daughters order which was immediately fixed. This is visit number 4. Last two times my pancakes were gooey. Sent them back twice n both times the same under cooked pancakes. Yuk. The worst part is two sets of silverware both butter knives had greasy fingerprints on them. Major turn off. Seems like now that the restaurant was on the tv show the quality has been sacrificed for the all mighty dollar. The staff is absolutely fantastic and very friendly. They work hard. The kitchen cooks work hard but should slow it down a bit to make sure the quality is there. They are too rushed. Just a few querks and things would be a lot better. I def would not say this restaurant is better than dennys. Sorry but for the price you pay you would expect better food. Service though is two thumbs up.

Daniel D, Owner at The Metro Diner, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

ShellinRich,

I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience at Metro Diner back in June. I sincerely apologize for the delayed response. Your subpar experience and poor food quality is unacceptable and I can not apologize enough. All of our Omelets should be bursting with egg and many other ingredients. At Metro Diner we pride ourselves on having exceptional service and outstanding food all in a clean and warm atmosphere. I can assure you what you experienced is not a normal occurrence or acceptable. I am confident that the problems you experienced have since been corrected and eliminated. We really appreciate your feedback and hope you give us another chance, so that we can show you how the Metro Diner experience should be. Feel free to contact me directly as I would love the opportunity to personally make things right (daniel@metrodiner.com).

Thanks,

Daniel DeLeon

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Very lucky that we found this place listed in our hotel room guide. It was about 2 miles away from our hotel on the Saint John's. We went on a Saturday morning, we were a party of 8, and had to wait. We should have called ahead (live & learn), but after about 30 minutes we decided to split into two tables. Lucky for us, we took 4 seats at the counter and were able to watch and talk to the staff as they made the food. Great menu, very reasonable prices. The food was out of this world! The staff was GREAT and friendly! Whenever we are in the Jacksonville area, we will be back for breakfast, or lunch, or BOTH!