“Best French Onion soup!”
Review of The Metro Diner

The Metro Diner
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Loved their french onion soup and 1/2 chicken salad sandwich. PLUS THEIR KEY LIME PIE, better than Key West. Went back the next day, was not disappointed. Friendly wait-staff. Nice outdoor eating area; watch for smokers on sidewalk. Warning: only open til 2:30 pm. Darn it!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Breakfast is my favorite meal. This is my favorite place for breakfast. They have what you want, and some things you haven't thought about. It is like stopping at my grandmother's house and being spoiled with the best food ever.
It is popular. There will likely be a wait. It is more than worth it.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great place all around. Service and food is always on point. If in Jacksonville Beach make it a top priority!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food here is excellent with a great atmosphere. My favorite breakfast item would have to be the Eggs benedict, and favorite lunch item is the Pittsburgh Sandwich a must try.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have visited the JAX beach area four times since 2009, as we are considering it as a retirement destination in the coming years. By chance, I saw this diner featured on the show "Diners and Drive-Thrus" (?) on the Food network. Actually, the show was about the original Metro Diner in the San Pablo area of Jacksonville, but when I checked the restaurants website, I discovered they had opened two more locations, one of which was about 500 feet from our hotel in Jax Beach! YIKES!!!

As others have noted, plan on arriving early, as there WILL be a wait. Most great restaurants have it this way.

The first thing that caught my attention was the number of staff that are working here. I mean, it's a little diner, with seating for maybe 100, and there have got to be 30 people on duty. It was just crazy, organized mayhem, but they all knew their roles and executed them.

The other thing that caught me was, it didn't matter which of them walked by, or what job they were performing: they all made sure we were happy, and were willing to stop and answer questions!

I don't know about those who said there was a long wait for food; maybe by diner standards, but when you consider these are all made from scratch items, you should expect a little bit of a delay from that. The two times we ate there, it was very reasonable. (I imagine it makes it worse, when you've already waited 30-45 minutes just to get your table!)

It would do me a disservice to attempt to talk about the food, other than to tell you that you will probably have trouble eating it all, but you will die trying, because it all tastes SO good. The meatloaf is so good, you could serve it at a fancy dinner! The chicken pot pie was spectacular. The breakfasts were so good, and yet we had NO chance to finish them off!

If you want to eat "where the locals eat", try this place at least once in your life.

PS- it's only open until 2:30 in the afternoon, so don't plan on dinner!