“Sister's big surprise.”

Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Oh my, what a breakfast. My young sister told me she had a new restaurant to show me. Off we went and wow, was it great. I could have spent a week there just on the morning menu..It might be a little too loud for the youngsters, but for the oldsters I could just turn down the hearing aid. ;-)

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We're longtime fans of the original Metro Diner on Hendricks Ave., and were delighted to hear a Beaches clone was coming. But what a disappointment! As many other reviewers have pointed out, it's extremely loud, the food and service are hit-and-miss, and huge ceiling fans will have your eggs icy cold before you're halfway finished (and you should have seen the look I got when I complained!).

1  Thank WellTempered
Daniel D, Owner at The Metro Diner, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

OldNGrouchy,

I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience at Metro Diner back in December. I sincerely apologize for the delayed response. Your subpar experience and poor food quality is unacceptable and I can not apologize enough. At Metro Diner we pride ourselves on having exceptional service and outstanding food all in a clean and warm atmosphere. I can assure you what you experienced is not a normal occurrence or acceptable. I am confident that the problems you experienced have since been corrected and eliminated. We really appreciate your feedback and hope you give us another chance, so that we can show you how the Metro Diner experience should be. Feel free to contact me directly as I would love the opportunity to personally make things right (daniel@metrodiner.com).

Thanks,

Daniel DeLeon

Reviewed December 28, 2012

The best breakfast in the Jacksonville metro area by far. We travel to Jacksonville from Apalachicola often, and have eaten at all the breakfast places in the area. Metro Dinner,a new addition to the area, what can I say about, perfection. The food is great and has a lot of imagination. Prices are great as well. No over-priced meals here. The staff is very accommodating and keeps your coffee cup full. We went three times during our last visit to Jacksonville Beach and Mayo Clinic. Love the “sit where you please” policy, plus the quickness of the serving team to give you water and coffee upon arrival. Everyone is so, so friendly.The young gentleman owner watches over the operation and keeps everything running smoothly each day while we were there. The staff is always smiling and it is an added plus to the diner. My wife had something different each day. The Banana Foster Pancakes as the special was so huge that she could hardly finish half the portion. It looked so appetizing that I also had a few bites myself. I had one of the best meal of my trip there. I had the same meal everyday since it was so delicious. It is the Charleston Shrimp and Grits, which is also served at lunch. It is the most expensive item on the menu at $12.99. It is well worth the cost, as again the portion was huge. I am looking forward to our next trip in February so we can have breakfast there again. Perfect way to start our day.

Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Had breakfast here a couple times with my spouse and both times on both of our meals the eggs were either under/overcooked, sausage wasn't all that, hashbrowns crispy on outside but undercooked inside.

Lunch was great. We have only had burger , fries, chicken strips.

Service is excellent

Place isn't comfortable to sit and eat at unless youre outside or at a booth inside.

You smell like food a little after leaving because the kitchen is out in the open

They close at 2pm I believe

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I try weekend brunch places all over town and this is one of my faves. We went on a very busy day (Sea and Sky Show) but still only waited 45 minutes for a table for 4 and it was worth the wait. They also have free coffee for the people waiting outside. Once inside, you can bring your own bottle of champagne in to mix with OJ for mimosas and they will provide a bottle chiller! It's great. Yes the place is super bustling inside but it's kind of a fun atmosphere. Just don't go there if you're expecting a quiet breakfast. Our waitress was super attentive and the food is delicous. I got the Eggs Benedict...very well done with a runny yolk and rich Hollondaise sauce. The pancakes are huge, and the classic breakfast was tasty as well. Definitely go for the fully loaded breakfast pototatoes...they can be a meal by themselves. If you're looking for a hearty and classic brunch place this is it.