“Great Place”
Review of Sun Burst Inn

Sun Burst Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Indian Shores
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We just finished a 4 week stay at the Sun Burst. The location is perfect, right on a beautiful beach. There are plenty of nice restaurants nearby as well as grocery stores. The room was bright and clean and included all the necessities such as stove, microwave, dishes. The staff and owners are extremely friendly and accommodating. Both owners and staff said a sincere good bye to us before we left and wished us a sae trip home. Amy and Laura you guys rock!!! Miss everyone already!! Looking forward to going back in 2015.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie M
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Sun Burst Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

From all of us at Sun Burst, thanks for the great review! Hope you make it back real soon!

Reviewed March 14, 2014

We have stayed at another resort in this area where we received outstanding, personal service. This included exchanging clean towels at your room, delivering donuts during the week to the room, cooking breakfast for all on Sunday morning, and arranging a cocktail or happy hour during the week for all the residents to get to know each other. When the owner found that my daughter enjoyed health clubs, she got a guest membership for her. Unfortunately, the owner of that property has downsized by selling off half of her property and we were unable to go there this year so chose the Sun Burst Inn. After our experience here, we will make sure that we book early enough to go back to our first choice. At the Sunburst Inn, you need to exchange the towels at the office during a 2 hour period of time during the day. There was no attempt at trying to arrange social gatherings with the other residents. There was a sign in the room about a health club but you had to swipe a card at the door. We had no card, there was none in the room, I assume I had to go to the office to get one.

When the three of us got there, we saw there was one Hershey kiss sitting on the phone. We do not know if this was in appreciation of us being there or left over from the previous guest. We opted to not try to share it or to consume it and threw it away.

The manager of Sun Burst was very unfriendly. On the day before we were checking out, I went to the office to advise her that we were leaving early the next morning and if I should just leave my key in the room and lock it. All she could do was say "yes" with nothing else. No "glad you spent the week with us"; "hope you had a good time"; "have a safe trip"; nothing.

My wife received an electrical shock when using the stove. I told the manager for the safety of future guests. Her response was very unfriendly and she acted like I had insulted the facility.

The room was dirty. They obviously do not sweep the along the mop board as there was a piece for a "foodsaver" machine in a piece of plastic under the dresser at the mop board. It was filthy and greasy. If the owner reads this, we were in room 20 and I am sure if you go there now, it is still there. The one time my wife tried to use the stove, she observed the pan lid to be greasy. There was a sign that everything had been cleaned but not sanitized.

While we were there, there was a reported "tornado" spotted in the Gulf and could possibly be coming that direction. I was not in the room, at the time, but obviously the manager was very shook up by this and came to our window to tell my wife about this. My wife asked what we should do as we were on the second floor. In Nebraska, when this happens, we go to our basement as hurricanes level buildings. This was not an option here so my wife felt very vulnerable. All the manager could say was that we should shut the hurricane shutter and she would let us know if it got worse. I came into the other end of the room about the time she finished and could hear her sense of emergency. My wife became very emotionally upset. There was no immediate danger and I really feel that it could have been handled a little more professionally. It did not appear that they had a plan if the hurricane did come through. They had taken down the umbrellas, on the deck, and laid them on the deck. Two days later they were still laying on the deck and we had to put it back ourselves.

The parking is extremely tight with one space for each apartment. We would come home and people would park over the line taking up two spaces. There did not seem to be any enforcement of this.

We had told the management after our first night there that the porch light on the deck was burned out. Seven days later, it was still burned out. The apartment has two entrances, one on the beach side and one on the parking lot side. The morning we left, at 6:00 AM, it was dark. We went out the side to the parking lot and all the timed lights were out making the stairs extremely dark. The only light that was on was over the owners door on the next level up.

The only good thing about this place was that the deck had a great view of the Gulf of Mexico but so does every other place up and down this beach. Next year, we will make sure we book at someplace we will feel appreciated.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Nebraskasnowbird

I usually respond quickly to all reviews but in this case I had to really think about what I wanted to say since everything was obviously so wrong for you during your stay with us.

Normally, I would say that I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, however it appears that most of what you were looking for were never part of our amenities, so why you were disappointed amazes me. We never promised you FREE brunches or happy hours or get-togethers. Even the place you previously stayed does not PROMISE them, they just occasionally do it. Everything from towel exchange to no daily maid service is not only on our website but is expressed to you when you check in, as is the fact that we do not charge resort fees and offer free beach towels & umbrellas. It is part of keeping our overhead low so that we can survive and make a living, but allow our guests the lower cost in return.

As for the cleanliness, nothing was said during your stay or it would have been rectified. The sign saying everything had not been sanitized is required by law, but if we missed the pan lid not being clean that was an oversight.

As for telling you about the waterspouts (TORNADO), we have a responsibility to warn our guests of possible severe weather. This is Florida, land of spectacular sunsets and unpredictable weather. The weather service issued a warning so we passed it along to ALL of our guests so they could be prepared and alert. I guess in retrospect we should have allowed you to be surprised and then you could have put that in your review.

We are a small hotel on the Gulf of Mexico built in 1948. The fact that parking is tight is a factor of where we are located and our size.

In closing, I suggest that in the future you call any place you plan on staying to make sure they will be giving you FREE things to satisfy you. By the way, I understand there is a large chain hotel just up the beach from us that will charge you twice as much as we do, but will give you free chocolate chip cookies and charge you those pesky resort fees. Good luck with that.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We picked the Sun Burst because of the location. We didn't care there was no pool and wanted something quieter than busy Clearwater up the shore. The views were fantastic and overall we had a good trip in the area. I was encouraged by the reviews on here and as well as the pictures. I was really disappointed with the overall cleanliness of the unit. There was mold and mildew (and hair) in the shower (I wore flip flops to shower), food left over from the previous guests on the little stove. The coffeemaker looked like it was just dumped and not cleaned. The dishes and the interior of the fridge was dirty as well. When a guest was packing up to check-out while we were there, she came outside to shake the interior mat and commented "I don't think they do this here". The lamps and an old school phone was covered in inches of dust.
Overall, the sunsets, beach and surrounding area made the trip, the accommodations did not.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank frenchie L
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Sun Burst Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Hello;

I am so sorry for the problems. I can't imagine how it could have happened. As for the shower, they are old and we are refinishing or replacing as we can afford it (did 4 last month). I hope you try us again in the future.

Michael

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Stayed here Dec. 8-24, 2013, so 16 days total. This has got to be one of the best values anywhere in Florida. I would give it a solid 3 stars out of 5. There is no swimming pool for example, so if they put in a pool, it becomes 4 stars, but it doesnt need a pool, the ocean is right there. If you want 5 stars, go somewhere else and pay $300 a night, but don't come to the Sun Burst, and then bash the hell out of it here on Trip Advisor. This is a budget motel folks, not the Ritz Carlton. As a budget place, it does not get any better than this, On the beach folks, not across the road, down the road, we are talking on the beach, what is that worth to you? We had a full kitchen in our room which saved us money on meals. There is a Winn Dixie close by, and a Publix further away. My only complaint, and I hesitate to say it, because I should have said it in person first, but the mattress in my room was a bit soft and in need of being replaced imo. Great friendly staff, had a great stay, Thanks.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gregster297

Thanks for the great review! We always try to do our best and hope you come back soon.

Michael, Marilyn & Amy

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Wonderful location directly on beach, but dirty-cobwebs, cockroaches, mold/mildew in shower and filthy dishes in cabinets. Coffeemaker had mold and an old used filter in it. Matrees was as hard as rock and as old as one.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Mom621
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Sun Burst Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Hello;

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We take pride in the fact that although we are an older hotel, we are clean. I do wish you had brought this to our immediate attention, rather than waiting until after checking out to post a review. We, as stated, are an older hotel and what you thought might be mold in the shower is actually old discolored grout. We are working on repairing and replacing the grout but since we almost always are full it is hard to get the rooms free for enough time to do so. I have been researching plastic surrounds for the rooms with problems, but do not know when they can be installed.

If you saw a cockroach, you would be the first person in many years as we have a very good pest company that services us every month. What you might have seen instead is called a palmetto bug, which is laughingly called the "state bird of Florida". Again I wish you had brought this to our attention.

Lastly, the used filter in the coffee maker. I can only apologize for this as my cleaning lady must have missed it somehow.

I hope you give us another chance in the future and hope we can exceed your expectations.

Michael

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Had a great 4 days at this nice little hotel. Stayed in room 22 which had a full kitchen, sleeps 5, and a great ocean view. Nice big room. 2 TV's. Staff very friendly and helpful. Suncoast Bird sanctuary is within walking distance. Some things are a little worn but all in all very clean. Beautiful view of the sunsets from the deck. It's not the Hilton, but we were very comfortable and enjoyed our stay very much.

Room Tip: second floor rooms have the best view