“HORRIBLE!”

The Pub Waterfront Restaurant & Lounge
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Waterfront Dining, indoor or outdoor deck, 40+ boat slips, enjoy great food, awesome drinks, and atmosphere! Free parking on the street or the docks while you dine. Be sure to call us for large parties.
Portsmouth, Ohio
“HORRIBLE!”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

skip this place, it is truly horrible. I knew it was a bad sign when we waked in the door and they were trying to sell jewelry to us. The food was really bad, there was a centipede in our napkin and some kind of feces on our bread plate. I think it was roach crap. UGGGHHHH, I regret going there. But hey, it does have a nice view..

Visited August 2011
1 Thank RosemountChick

St. Petersburg, FL
“Disappoints EVERY time! Way overpriced and bad food.”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

The food is overpriced and not good, at all! The grouper sandwich was fishy, to the point I couldn't finish it. Grouper should never be fishy. The fries weren't even good, they were soft/mushy. The seafood dishes have similar pricing to Bonefish and Island Way, but the quality is much lower. The only reason we have been to The Pub more than once is because it has convenient boat parking and we were hopeful we would order something that tasted decent. Yesterday was our very last visit to The Pub.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank scflreviewer
London, United Kingdom
“Don't bother !!!”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Service OK, but food, premises, and atmosphere only average at best...... also overpriced.....go somewhere else.......

• Visited July 2011
New York City, New York
“The worst -- and most bizarre -- dining experience we have ever had.”
Reviewed June 7, 2011

The hostess for the outdoor dining area (incongruously called "Tiki Bar") asked if we wanted to sit in the sun or the shade. Since we were a little pink from a day at the beach we opted for the shade. "Shade? Sure," she said, leading us to a table that was fully in the sun. She opened the umbrella in the center of the table, warning us, "Watch out, the wind might blow it over." We wondered to ourselves why they couldn't just weigh it down at the base to prevent this problem.

The table was shaded by the umbrella, but my husband and I were both in the sun. But we were still optimistic and proceeded to look over the menu. I glanced at the cocktail choices and saw that nearly everything had Sprite in it. Not wanting anything sugary, I noticed a card promoting "skinny" cocktails with supposedly no sugar added. I ordered a Skinny Appletini. Now, I admit that I should have known never to order something with the word "mix" in the description. My Appletini arrived. It was a weird green and looked like Scope. There was a mashed-looking maraschino cherry at the bottom. It had no apple flavor whatsoever. I couldn't even detect the usual clean crispness of a vodka base, which it supposedly had. All I could taste was Aspartame.

Our server arrived to take our orders. "What are you gonna enjoy today?" she asked. (This was a recurring theme. She would sweep past our table a couple more times over the course of the evening, singing out, "Aren't you enjoying it?" -- some sort of Jedi mind trick, we supposed.) We chatted with her and found out that she was from Syracuse, and had moved to Florida 30 years ago. Did she miss anything about Syracuse? "Oh, the food!" she replied. Hmm, red flag?

I ordered the stuffed flounder "with real crab meat". The menu said that I could have a choice of salad or chowder, and one other side. "That comes with a house salad," our server informed me. She then listed several choices for salad dressing, and I picked Italian (this point is important later). I was confused, however, that she hadn't offered me the choice between salad and chowder, so I asked, "Does the flounder come with chowder?" "Oh," came the reply. "It was the salad or...." She told me that I could substitute chowder for the steamed veggie side, however, and keep the salad. "That's what I would do," she said. I agreed that it was a good idea.

My husband ordered a grouper Reuben sandwich, and coconut shrimp as a starter. The coconut shrimp was mediocre, but not terrible; more soggy than crispy, but quite coconut-y. It came with a dipping sauce that my husband described as "sugar syrup". The sandwich was pretty much what he had expected, however, and thought perhaps the sandwiches at the restaurant might generally be okay. The chowder was also quite tasty, albeit extremely heavy. It had the consistency of Greek yogurt.

My stuffed flounder arrived on a plate by itself, no salad. No problem, maybe she forgot. The server breezed by and pronounced, "You guys are all good!" without actually asking. I really wanted to love the stuffed flounder, but it was a mound of lukewarm, tasteless mush. But there was still the salad. I was really looking forward to crunching into something fresh and green. I managed to stop the server and asked about my salad. "Oh, you wanted a salad? You already had the chowder." "Yes, I thought you said..." "Yeah, sure, you can have a salad!" She offered to wrap one up for me with bread to take home for later. Bewildered, I looked at my husband, who told her that I could just eat it then. She took my empty flounder plate and utensils, and left.

After a few minutes, she came back with a few pieces of iceberg lettuce and an ENORMOUS amount of blue cheese dressing. "Here you go, honey, you're gonna love that blue cheese!" You will recall that I had asked for Italian dressing. You may also recall that she took away my utensils. And no, she did not bring me a new fork. Since she had proven so difficult to get a hold of, I proceeded to eat my blue cheese-covered lettuce with my fingers. She breezed by again: "How are you enjoying that great salad?" and disappeared. My husband finally managed to stop her and asked for a fork. "Oh, you want more utensils," she said -- as if I had hidden a set somewhere -- and went and got them without apologizing.

At this point, the breeze picked up a little and I heard screaming. One server sprinted toward a table where the umbrella had lifted several feet in the air. A guest at the table caught it as it came back down, narrowly missing the heads of a couple of senior citizens. The server's comment: "Whew! Let's get you another Heineken." A couple other tables also had umbrella upsets. Our server quickly came and closed our umbrella back down. We paid our bill and left. I don't think we will ever go back.

• Visited June 2011
5 Thank awakenthedawn
Apollo Beach, Florida
“Mediocre at best, poor service and bland food...”
Reviewed May 28, 2011

also for the pathetic service you get to add an automatic 18% rather than the 0-5% the should get. Six of seven dinners rated 6 or less.....one shrimp linguini an 8. Outdoor seating is nice but not worth the overpriced dinners (at least $5 per entree too high). An obvious tourist trap....Congratulations to those who found this place good, we'll never be back. GO to Salt Rock Grill or Guppys in Indian Rocks Beach if you want good food and fun atmosphere.

• Visited May 2011