“I waited three years just to be disappointed.”
Review of Salt Rock Grill

Salt Rock Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Salt Rock Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: This beach landmark is legendary, and it’s still on fire with a burning passion for delectable food, enticing drink and pleasurable surroundings. For an evening of fine dining, elegant atmosphere, superior service and genuine hospitality, Salt Rock Grill is your destination.Come by land or sea and enjoy the finest dining location in Tampa Bay.St. Petersburg Times–"The first modern surf and turf joint on the beaches still packs them in with red-hot, straight-ahead cooking. Steaks are first-rate, lobsters monstrous, wine cellar deep, seafood and fish souped up in spicy broth. The unexpected treats are root vegetables, lentils and smart spicing"
Reviewed March 22, 2009

I went to the Salt Rock Grill 3 years ago, and really enjoyed it. Since then, I have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I went there thinking that, with the variety of food they offer, it wouldn't be a problem. But it was. It was terrible. When I informed our waitress about my gluten allergy, she showed me a list of the food on the menu that has gluten in it. This makes absolutely no sense to me. Why wouldn't they do the opposite, and have a list of stuff you can have? So... after comparing the list to the menu, I was able to find one appetizer that I could have. And they would only offer me plain grilled fish, with nothing on it, and I couldn't even eat the vegetables. I ordered the appetizer, which when they brought it out to me, was told not to eat the one part because it had gluten in it. I can't eat anything that has touched the food either, so I had to order a new one. A couple of minutes later, my waitress came back and said that I actually couldn't eat that appetizer because it may have something in it. So, after spending so much time comparing the list of gluten products to the menu, it still wasn't right. When my dinner came out, it was grilled Mahi Mahi, and it was awful. It just tasted like grill. You could taste the fish at all.
As someone who has Celiac Disease, I would never in a million years recommend the Salt Rock Grill. It was terrible. Even the rest of my group (there were 5 others) weren't that impressed with their meals.
Finally, like has been said in many other ratings, the noise is ridiculous. Especially when they stick you in a corner with a view of the parking lot, and a tv on with ultimate fighting playing. Really tacky.

1  Thank CeliacGirl

Reviewed March 8, 2009

we had not been to Salt Rock for a couple years and wanted to take our out of town guests to a place on the water. we made reservations and dined outside in a lovely atmosphere. The food ...we all ordered fish dishes ,were great as was the bread, salad and great key lime pie and apple crisp. Drinks were not watered down and the service was efficient. I would still recommend this place as a great spot for fine dining.

1  Thank getofftheroad
Reviewed March 6, 2009

I have been to this restaurant twice and have had fantastic food and excellent service each time.

The food is pricey, but well worth every dime.

The view is amazing, being that it sits on the water. We like to sit outside on the large deck in the back of the restaurant.

The restaurant stays pretty busy but offers Valet Parking at no cost.

Last weekend, we ordered the Oyster Sampler, King Crab Legs, and house salad. We would have preferred the Stone Crab that was on special, but they were sold out. Food was stilll amazing.

1  Thank babibirdee
Reviewed February 20, 2009

We have driven past the Salt Rock Grill in Indian Shores many times, and finally tried it out. We were not disappointed. The decor was nicer than most of the restaurants in the area. Menu prices were also higher. The wait staff was quite adaquate. For an appetizer, we had the oysters bienville, which are oysters topped with a mixture of crab, shrimp, and mushrooms. It was very good. We went in time to take advantage of the Early Dinner Menu, which is from 4 pm to 5 pm. We had the Filet Mignon K-Bob, Herb Crusted Mahi Mahi, and the Cedar Plank Salmon. All of our meals were very good. This is a restaurant that we would go to again.

1  Thank lewws99
Reviewed February 19, 2009

We traveled to Indian Rock Beach to spend time with old friends. After reading reviews and local articles, we chose Salt Rock Grill. Reservations were over 30 minutes late, the noise level was deafening. We could not even converse with the folks at our table without straining to hear normal conversation. The smoke from the open grill was intense and a problem if you had breathing issues. Our food and service were okay. I had lobster and it was good, my husband had a strip steak that so tough it was not worth the price. Salt Rock has more business that it can handle to provide quality food and service.

2  Thank Brenda K