“A yearly pleasure”
Review of Salt Rock Grill

Salt Rock Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Salt Rock Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Description: This beach landmark is legendary, and it’s still on fire with a burning passion for delectable food, enticing drink and pleasurable surroundings. For an evening of fine dining, elegant atmosphere, superior service and genuine hospitality, Salt Rock Grill is your destination.Come by land or sea and enjoy the finest dining location in Tampa Bay.St. Petersburg Times–"The first modern surf and turf joint on the beaches still packs them in with red-hot, straight-ahead cooking. Steaks are first-rate, lobsters monstrous, wine cellar deep, seafood and fish souped up in spicy broth. The unexpected treats are root vegetables, lentils and smart spicing"
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is the third year my family and I have been coming to this restaurant, and it keeps getting better. We've never had anything but the early bird special, because honestly it has great variety, wonderful food, and fantastic prices. Absolutely no stinting on portions, either, and there are probably 10-12 entrees to choose from.

I usually get the rockin' cordon bleu, which is wonderful. Champagne mushroom sauce, divine potatoes, and nice tender chicken - pretty good for $12! My mother usually gets steak kebobs, and Dad will always go for a seafood option. Rockin' the Boat is his fav - basically, it's like a fisherman's pie that is loaded with 3-4 kinds of seafood, peppers, onions, and topped with cheese, and served with garlic mashed. I'm not a seafood lover, but just the look and smell of it might convert me yet. You also get served with fresh, hot sourdough bread with the most amazing dipping sauce I've ever had. We liked it so much we had to buy some to take home.

The only problem we had with this visit was that my mother's steak wasn't cooked to her liking (ie, VERY well done), but they quickly rectified it and she was more than happy. All in all, a place we love and will definitely return.

One note: especially if you are coming to the early bird hour, I strongly suggest you make a reservation. The place gets PACKED.

1  Thank Melissa D
Write a ReviewReviews (2,521)

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Our first visit was on my birthday, we have been returning every year. Inside or outside, depending on weather, you will enjoy this beautiful restaurant. We have had apps, beef, lamb and lots of seafood. Everything has always been fantastic! If you love wine you must check out the extensive list. We love to sit outside, they have heaters if it's a bit cool. Service is Fab. Can be very busy, but worth the wait. Have a cocktail on the deck.

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Great food and service would highly recommend. Be careful where you are seated indoors as areas are very cold. Great outdoor seating along with the huge bar.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We were visiting friends in Madeira Beach who said we HAVE to go to SRG before we went home. No kidding! It's really good in every aspect - food, service, atmosphere. We went to Early Bird ( I know, I know I thought that was stupid at first, but actually was terrific!) because we wanted to sit outside in daylight. Also, the EB special is unbelievable. There were six of us (make sure you make reservations or you will never get a seat!) and we all enjoyed our various meals. Philip (server) provided impeccable service. He was serious about his job, but had a great sense of humour too - helpful but not overbearing at all.
When we left the inside part of the restaurant was PACKED as well as the outside. I was happy we sat outside on the docklike area right on the water. I would go back to sit at bar and have appys. Looked like everyone was having fun. Artwork everywhere (the washrooms are spotless and gorgeous and even have art hanging in there too!)

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I had been expecting this to be a real treasure since Marlin Darlin and Island Way Grill is owned in the same group of restaurants and they are among my absolute favorite local restaurants. The meal at Salt Rock was done well. I had the grilled red snapper and some au gratin potatoes which did not appear to be quite done. For the meal, I would definitely return. The rest of it was a bit of a turn off. The six young ladies working at the check in desk (and by the way, we had a reservation) stood around running their fingers through their long hair and appearing fairly dis-interested in the actual role they play. Once we were seated, the waiter did not make any suggestions, did not stop by the table to check on water/drinks much, etc. I wanted to be out on the water, but did not realize that this would also include other diners with dogs not on leashes. This was quite a surprise at a roughly $20 and up restaurant.