“Almost back to excellent....”
Review of Salt Rock Grill

Salt Rock Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Salt Rock Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: This beach landmark is legendary, and it’s still on fire with a burning passion for delectable food, enticing drink and pleasurable surroundings. For an evening of fine dining, elegant atmosphere, superior service and genuine hospitality, Salt Rock Grill is your destination.Come by land or sea and enjoy the finest dining location in Tampa Bay.St. Petersburg Times–"The first modern surf and turf joint on the beaches still packs them in with red-hot, straight-ahead cooking. Steaks are first-rate, lobsters monstrous, wine cellar deep, seafood and fish souped up in spicy broth. The unexpected treats are root vegetables, lentils and smart spicing"
Reviewed March 13, 2012

My husband and I have a home just down the road from SRG and eat there at least once a month. When we starting going about two years ago, we loved it! The atmosphere is terrific and the food was fantastic!!! Last fall they hit a rough patch. On several occasions we were disappointed in our food and service. I'm not sure why the quality of both took such a negative turn. However, I'm thrilled to say our last visit was a dramatic improvement! I had the Oysters Bienville appetizer and the Porterhouse steak. Both were delicious!!!! One change in the menu recently...a salad is no longer included with your entree. I highly recommend eating outside on the intracoastal waterway if weather permits.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

A long time fan of Salt Rock Grill, I took my visiting parent for a treat on an early Sunday afternoon and there were unexpected "early bird specials". The service and atmosphere, as usual, were nice, but I will have to say, this was the worst meal I have paid for in this area. We were served a miniscule portion of salad, my six romaine pieces were brown; the grilled hog fish was definitely not fresh and was overdone, it was really horrible. The broccoli was perfect and the tablespoon of salsa was nice, but not enough. The "dessert" billed as "apple crisp", was in a mini ramekin and must have come right out of a large can. It had a ice cream topping the size of a large marble. With tip, this feast, without anything at all to drink except water, was $40.00. If this is what the chef thinks is "special" he should rethink. If you serve food in your restaurant whether or not it is to early birds, it should be the same quality. I felt like a "stepchild" or like I was eating nursing home food. As my husband is addicted to their lobster bisque, we will probably return, but I truly hope they improve or discontinue this "early bird".

1  Thank praejones
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I love the vibe of this place. The atmosphere is fine dining, with very friendly service and a wonderful view. We arrived to look at the menu and were give the grand tour of why it makes sense to have "late lunch", my euphemism for the Early Bird special. At any rate, the fish selection was excellent, but there was something for everyone. Nice wine selection.

1  Thank Zoespin
Reviewed March 11, 2012

The Salt Rock Grille is one of the Best Grilles in the Clearwater/St. Peteersburg area. They are only open for dinner at 4:00 so don't go early but they do have an Early Bird menu if you are seated by 5:30 and order by 6:00 that is the best I have experienced in the area. They have both indoor and outdoor seating with a tiered view of the intercoastal waterway. You can even pull your boat up for a stop on your evening cruise. The menu selections, food preparation and presentation is Outstanding. There is not a bad entree on the menu so go ahead and fell free to order something unique and delicious!

Reviewed March 10, 2012

The reason for the metaphor is that there seems to be a slight disconnect between the restaurant's tentacles. The appendage most removed - hanging by a mere thread from falling into the deep, really - is the hostess station. We showed up 10 minutes early for our 7:30 reservation and received a pager and informed them we'd be at the bar. About 7:45, I went back to the hostess station and she claimed we were called and when I said that the pager didn't go off, she said "some of them aren't working." Despite this, checking the bar for waiting customers seemed far down on her list of priorities. Even further down was our apology, which never materialized.

So, onward to a table on the deck overlooking the water and a nice, attentive waitress. Earlier, the bartender was also personable.

The bread w/olive oil spread (and diced olives) was a tasty introduction. I also enjoyed the generous but salty escargot dish but my dinner partner thought it too salty.

My salmon? I ordered it grilled with the middle verging on raw and the chef nailed it. It was absolutely delicious. The twice baked potato with manchego cheese was a little too spicy but had a wonderful sour cream/dill sauce with it. My partner's hog snapper was also very good. However, there was about a 35-40 min. wait between the appetizers and the entrees.

So, yeah, it was busy and there's a cattle car quality to it in high season and the kitchen seems hard pressed to keep up. I'd go again. Resign yourself to micromanaging the hostess/pager situation, though, or you'll be sitting at the bar all night.