“our yearly trip home”

Sand Dollar Condominiums
Halifax, Canada
“our yearly trip home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have been traveling to the Sand Dollar for 20 years with family and friends and each year it is like coming home. Staff are always helpful, location is second to none and the friendships that we have developed with other guests are for a lifetime. The units are very large and very well suited for families and a group of friends and the grounds are impeccable . You can be assured that all the surprises at this little piece of heaven are all good. Holly and team we will see you in the spring!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jerome S

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Claremont, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I made a reservation and due to a family emergency had to cancel so we could use our deposit for this emergency. Our reservations weren't even until the last weekend of September, yet we still were charged $60 for canceling, less than a week after making them. In addition, they say they took care of our refund Saturday, but we have yet to be credited.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank fourhamms
JCResorts, Manager at Sand Dollar Condominiums, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear 4Hamms.
I understand your disappointment. I hope all is well. Just wanted to follow up to make sure you received the refund that was posted August 10th - same day that you canceled your reservation. All shows a processed on our end... Wish you all the best, Holly
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

My family and I have been staying at Sand Dollar for 18 years and have always had a wonderful time and accommodations. This year we decided to stay two weeks and had to book late so the only 3 Bedroom available was unit 112. The unit was okay but not up to expectations based on prior year stays. For example, the cleaning staff did a horrible job of getting the condo ready: dirty dishes, sheets, and no vacuum cleaner, the shower curtains were dark so could not see when taking a shower, and sitting area furniture was outdated. We mentioned this to Holly and the ladies at the front desk and they immediately apologized and tried to send the cleaning crew back into the condo. However, at this point we took care of the cleaning ourselves.

After the first week, two people were leaving and we asked Holly if we could move to a 2-bedroom condo that is more updated. She changed us to unit 502 and it was wonderful!!! The condo was spotless, recently updated, and very nice. What a blessing! If you need a two bedroom unit, I highly recommend unit 502. When the owners updated the condo they updated all the way not just a partial update. Thank you!

Comments I have for HOA: The keys are a nuisance--most of the time they do not work for the pool and gate that goes to the beach. The stairways need new doors, cleaning, and painting. Also, try to figure out a new plan for the wristbands....the locals that rent a condo for all their friends to visit throughout the week are taking over the pool and they do not have wristbands and no one asks to see them. For example, one Sunday during my stay, a lot of local visitors visiting people that actually rented a unit, were at the pool with music blaring from an amplifier. None of them had wristbands!

All in all this is the best place to stay on Indian Shores, thank you owners and front desk staff for another wonderful stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank FaithBGA
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have been going to Sand Dollar every year since the early 90s, its worth the 9000mile round trip. The condos are of a very high standard , As for the staff, they are first class, friendly, polite, helpful, informative, always go the extra mile. The pool area, BBQ area, gardens, reception are always spotless. Sand Dollar has it all, excellent for families, couples young and old, a place to kick back and relax. Can't wait to return in 2014.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AML1980
Sevierville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have been going to the Sand Dollar for years. I have always had a good time and was treated excellently and always had a great and clean room. I have been a few other places, but I always return to the Sand Dollar. I am new daddy now and have already started a family tradition of vacationing there!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We have stayed in the Sand Dollar on many occasions as a couple and as a family. Each stay has been in a different condo and they have all been nice. Have always had a fabulous time and can't wait for the next visit. Very friendly and relaxing. Great location right on the beach. Staff have always been very helpful and friendly with nothing too much trouble. Beach never seems crowded and there are a number of good restaurants a short drive away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Coloma, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed in May 2013 over Memorial Day week with my grandchildren...we were given wrist tags and told they must be worn to access the resort's pool area; that if lost, it would be $20 replacement fee. Nothing was said about returning the wrist tags at the end of our stay, nothing mentioned in the "Departure Instructions" and nothing provided to return them in to keep ours separate from others that may or may not be returned on the same day.
We enjoyed the resort/amenities and not once did Security ask to see our wrist tags. On the day our vacation ended, we left at 6AM, there were 2 left in the condo & 6 worn home; I got a call before our plane landed at home stating I would be billed $160 for the wrist tags. I gathered the 9 cent wrist tags off my grandchildren & overnited 6 of them back to the hotel. I explained we were not told of the need to return them at the end of our stay & that 2 were left in the master bedroom, however I was told none had been found & the fee is an Association Rule...I was billed $40 for two tags that cost 18 cents to replace.

We had already booked a 2nd stay beginning at the end of June over July 4th week, OK now I know the "Association Rule" regarding these wrist tags, right? Well, the 4 of us wore our wrist tags (who had worn them before us??? yuck) however we witnessed MANY MANY "guests" who were allowed access to the resort who were NOT wearing wrist tags, the pool area was overcrowded due to them. The Beach Patrol came though a couple of nights, the people would run up off the beach to the resort & the Security Staff allowed them access. When we asked Security why they didn't check for wrist tags we were told there weren't enough for all guests & Management had told Security that as long as someone had a key to let them in. Prior to the end of our stay, Maintenance had removed the lock on the gate to the beach, thus anyone could access the resort. It seemed to be common knowledge that if you lifted up on the gate to the pool you could gain access without using a key. So much for Association Rules, not to mention the paying guests' security/safety.
When we addressed these issues with Holly at the Front Desk, our concerns were ignored and we were told that they know the wrist tags are only 9 cents each & the $20 fee is an "incentive to get them returned"....sounds like a scam since the wrist tags only useful purpose appeared to be to get $20 from unwary guests. Hopefully the Association will review their "Rules" AND Staff before someone is injured/harmed due to the unsafe security practices they seem to condone. I will not recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa S
JCResorts, Manager at Sand Dollar Condominiums, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Hi Lisa,
I understand your disappointment but would just like to point out that all summer guests are advised of the wrist tag program when they book and receive a letter with the confirmation outlining the policies of the wrist tags. This agreement that you signed is also verbally explained on arrival to avoid issues such as this. I wish there was more that I could do but I think we at the front desk always try to do our best within the boundaries that we are given by the condos homeowners and its HOA board of directors. I will share your comments with both the owner of the condo and the HOA to see what we can do to make things better. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Holly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Shores
Barefoot Beach Resort
Barefoot Beach Resort
#1 of 21 in Indian Shores
Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach
Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilto...
#1 of 6 in North Redington Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,392 reviews
Sun Burst Inn
Sun Burst Inn
#1 of 1 in Indian Shores
Legacy Vacation Resorts-Indian Shores

Been to Sand Dollar Condominiums? Share your experiences!