“My Favorite place in Florida!”

Seaside Seabird Sanctuary
More attraction details
Owner description: Come and see our birds, Brown Pelicans, White Pelicans, Owls, Hawks, Vulture, Shore and Land birds. Come watch us feed our Pelicans every day at 2:30PM. Our Gift Shop is open from 9-3:30PM We are located in front of mile marker #13 on Gulf Blvd. (5th third Bank is directly across the street)
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I love this place. I come here every time I come within 100 miles of here. I love birds and these guys have done this a long time and they do it well. Bring a nose plug cause birds (wild & captive) smell.Going back this weekend.

2  Thank mcboswell
"beach side"
in 6 reviews
"gulf blvd"

Reviewed June 2, 2010

We stopped here to get some photos & see the birds. The website made it seem nice. But it was quite deceiving.

Granted, it's free, but boy we were surprised at the condition of the place.

It STINKS. I realize it should smell due to what they do, but I am not exaggerating here, it was bad. On top of that, there was stuff everywhere & it seemed very poorly run & disorganized. We spotted chemicals just sitting open by the sidewalk, which seemed quite dangerous considering it's open to the public, including curious children. Safety didn't seem a priority here.

You couldn't tell who worked there & who was just visiting. Birds pooped ALL over & were allowed to fly free overhead. No nets, nothing. They clearly make no effort to clean up.

I felt for the birds here. They aren't being cared for in the manner they deserve, as there are just too many of them!

The gift store had no air conditioning and also smelled quite bad. Parking is really tight & done on gravel, so be careful of that. It's easy to drive right by the place if you aren't looking out for it, as it's squeezed in between beach hotels/resorts.

Overall, we wish we hadn't wasted the drive. The only perk was that we found Heritage Village on the way home (I highly recommend that attractions)

A lot of work needs to be done to this place.
They are clearly overwhelmed & under staffed.

3  Thank Onyxgal
Reviewed April 11, 2010

It is so nice to see how they care for the area birds. We got to view some very incredible birds up close. It was a very nice experience. Our teenagers weren't sure about where we were taking them, but they ended up loving the time spent there. It was a great way to spend a little part of the day.

1  Thank chisox62
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Anyone who loves to see all the beautiful and amazing Florida birds cannot miss this sanctuary. It's small and simple, but well kept. Many variety of birds were all around and so close. We saw hatchlings, birds mating, making nests, catching fish...some birds were out of the sanctuary maybe hanging around because they like the perks. The birds in the pens seemed well cared for and content. This sanctuary runs on donations so if you love birds take the trip and support them!

1  Thank crcderfromMN
See more reviews
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The Sanctuary has limited parking but is within walking distance of several hotels/condos/resorts If your taking a walk along the beach there is a entrance off the beach. Mrs. Heath was still working there, when I frist met her as a child she let me feed a pelican and I never forgot so some 30 years later I went back to visit the sanctuary, it was bigger and now has a educational center and Gift Shop (all profits going to the center. Also there was Dawn's Attic in the gift shop...Dawn Wells (MaryAnn from Giligans Isle) is a big contributor to the Sanctuary and when she moved out of Florida donated items for sale to help out the sanctuary (An aviary has a plaque from her dedicating it to Mr. Howell. From pelicans to owls there are a wide variety of rescued birds. Most are released, but as you will see so many are not ableto be because of their injuries. Please stop in, get educated and donate. ALSO, if you are staying somewhere you need to get dishwashing detergent (DAWN especially) Stop by on your way home and give them what you didnt use. (Note it does smell, because of the fish/food mostly, just remember its not a zoo, but a sanctuary)

1  Thank ColdMIser2