“a worthwhile stop”

Seaside Seabird Sanctuary
More attraction details
Owner description: Come and see our birds, Brown Pelicans, White Pelicans, Owls, Hawks, Vulture, Shore and Land birds. Come watch us feed our Pelicans every day at 2:30PM. Our Gift Shop is open from 9-3:30PM We are located in front of mile marker #13 on Gulf Blvd. (5th third Bank is directly across the street)
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed June 30, 2013

As people swarm to the beaches, the native birds suffer for it. This small group of volunteers help the birds that are injured by boats, fishermen, debris, etc. The ones who cannot be released back to nature are given sanctuary. We were staying at a condo at Indian Shores and there was a Great Heron that kept watch over the fishing pier. I noticed that he had a hook up high on his leg and a long piece of fishing line that tangled around his feet. We had already visited the sanctuary and I called them about this bird. Their volunteer called back to get more specific information and he was going there to net the bird and tend to him. I was very grateful that there was someone who could take care of this before that line became tanged around brush and the poor bird starved. Please take a few minutes to stop by the sanctuary and see the variety of birds that they are caring for. They have a gift shop and if you are able please make a donation so that they can continue their good work. There is not an admission charge.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary has been a rescue and rehab mainstay on Florida's Gulf Coast for as long as I can remember. I'm 41 now and live in Texas but when we stopped in this last trip I was deeply saddened. They are struggling. They need visitors. They need publicity and they need donations. They are doing work the city, state and federal government isn't. They are doing God's work.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

There are birds of all species there. Birds that aren't residents of the facility nest on the netting covering the cages or around the sanctuary which leads me to believe it's a decent place for them to stay or visit. Lots of birds we saw free on the beach had the ankle bracelet which means they were rehabilitated and released from the facility. They must do good work there.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I snuck away by myself for a few minutes because no one was very interested in going with me at the time. It was an interesting little place. A little smelly but such a worthy cause and educational. The black footed swimmers are now nesting outside the sanctuary. There are all types of birds, even saw some owls. They run some camps in the summer for youth.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

It is wonderful to see the fine work that is done here. Birds that have had unfortunate experiences are treated. Most return to the wild, those that can't live their lives out here. Make a donation to keep this wonderful place running.