“Fun Place, Decent Food, Good Happy Hr”
Review of Crabby Bill's

Crabby Bill's
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Description: Crabby Bills in Indian Rocks Beach has been here since April 28th 1983. We are a family business catering to our guest to develop long lasting relationships. We want to be the go to place for fresh seafood served in a casual beachy atmosphere. We serve breakfast from 7am daily and late night until 1:30 am daily.
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Tried it by myself one night, ate at the bar and my steaming bucket wasn't steaming, but look warm. Also thought the shrimp was a little bland, but I am used to Cajun style. Went back with my wife the next night for happy hr and ate outside. Enjoyed our selves. Ordered a number of apps one at a time, enjoyed the happy hr drinks and music than shared a entree. Food was much hotter than the night before. Gator bites where the best I have had and grilled grouper was excellent. Service was okay.

There are newer reviews for Crabby Bill's

Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

We were tipped off about this place and thank goodness we were. No bookings just turn up and hope to get a table. Don't worry about sharing as that add to the fun.we would love to have gone back but had to leave next day. DO NOT make that mistake.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

The crab soup was delicious - but a little peppery. The wait was VERY LONG but they did come out with pitchers of free beer! It was family friendly and yet still seemed to have a good bar crowd. The service was very good & friendly. The prices were fair (not cheap and not expensive)

1  Thank Marie06067
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Simple fish or stone crabs in season - if you want mediocre live music and a big bar scene, sit outdoors.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have fond memories of this place as a kid in the 80's, and returned to Crabby Bills because of this, despite the other reviews that I've read - unfortunately regrettably so.

Now, we knew this would not be fine dining. Shorts and a t-shirt were fine, maybe even pushing overdressed. The place is relatively loud, has uncomfortable bench like seating, silverware that's tossed to the table in a basket, napkins in a pile on the table. And you know what? We're fine with that. We knew this was going to be the case. I expected better food though.

We began the meal with 2 dozen raw oysters. Let me start by saying that I've had a wide variety of raw oysters served all over the US. I'm aware that gulf oysters, which seems to be all you can get in this part of Florida, tend to be more bland, less briny, and usually mushier than colder water oysters. We had raw oysters just about every other of the 7 nights that we were on the island. These were not very good. Not bad enough to send back, but pretty close. They were fairly poorly shucked: shards of shell and grit all over the place, they were placed on the tray on an angle so there was almost none of the brine left, the majority weren't separated from the abductor muscle, and many were filthy. They clearly don't scrub their oysters. On top of this, they didn't taste particularly fresh and had more of an odor than I'd like. While I typically don't care about oyster size, some of these were so small that they shouldn't have been served.

I ordered the steamed bucket. This was actually fine, and the only thing that kept this from being a one star review. The steamed shrimp were cooked perfectly, the (Alaskan) crab legs were as you'd get anywhere, the clams were very nice. For the quantity of food, I think it was a bit overpriced at $25, but the quality was good.

We also had:
Fried clam strips. Over breaded, over fried. The waitress brought half an order first and said the rest would be out shortly. This is a clear sign that >>> they're not even cooking this to order<<<
Broiled scallops: fair at best
A broiled combo platter: meh
Crab artichoke dip: just ok

Service was fine - par for the course at a restaurant like this - gruff but relatively attentive.

(we made the mistake of going to Seabreeze Island Grill & Raw bar the next night. Apparently, this is some sort of affiliate of Crabby Bills - I'd steer clear of this place too).

2  Thank berk21