“Shocking disregard for the handicapped”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Vistana Beach Club

Vistana Beach Club
New England
“Shocking disregard for the handicapped”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2006

My sister, paralyzed from the waist down and in a wheelchair, and I were happy to rent this two bedroom condo in mid-August. We had driven down from West Virginia as she was moving into a new home in the Jensen Beach area and we knew we would need a "home base" as we unpacked and got the new place set up. This resort is undergoing huge renovations and will be nice when complete. Our reservation was for a Sunday check in which meant it was the front and oldest building that overlooked the ocean. For the first several days we parked her vehicle (with her wheel-chair lift on it) in the very front lot farthest away(there are two buildings with several lots) as we could find no free handicapped parking spots. So ,each day we trudged through the lobby area and out the garage and over to our building. On the fourth day we parked further down the lot and I suggested a different route around the outdoor pool as it seemed closer. Well, imagine our surprise and disgust to see not ONE, not TWO, but THREE handicapped parking spots ALL full of construction pallets of supplies. I was dumbfounded and furious all at once, as was my sister. We called the front desk and asked to speak to the manager, Chris. We conveyed our outrage and the clerk said he would have the manager call us. Well, he never did. But, the next evening when we returned ONE of the three spots had been cleared and so we parked there. The real tragedy is this: the following morning we went to the car and my sister was transferring from her wheelchair into her car. I noted a fellow walking past us (making no eye contact because I tried to catch his eye) and I just sensed that he worked there. I scurried over to him and introduced myself and made small talk as we walked. I asked him who he was and he replied, "Chris." So, I knew he was the manager although he chose not to identify himself to me. Now, he clearly knew who we were, yet he chose to ignore us as he walked within 10 feet of our car. I told him how irresponsible it was for those spots to be used for cnstruction supplies and he blamed it on the construction crew saying they should pay better attention. I said it was his resort and his job to see things like this do not happen. He gave me an excuse about his being in Orlando at meetings for two days. I indicated that I was not buying his "passing the buck" technique and told him that we had expected a call from him and it never came and that he should have contacted us. This sort of thing is so disappoionting for a resort of this supposed caliber. So, when the salesteam called me about taking a tour I told them I would NEVER buy at a resort which discriminated against the handicapped in this shocking manner. I swear, if I had had a camera I would have taken pics and posted them. Oh, and NO mid week cleaning ever happened and the other two handicapped spots were still full of construction equipment when we left.. This place needs to clean up its act in MANY ways... Lynda88@aol.com

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Last of respect for the handicapped. Also, second bathroom has a useless huge jacuzzi and no shower.
  • Tips/Secrets — If you need handicapped parking stay next door at Turtle Reef- it looks very nice
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Lynda88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2006

Just got back from the Vistana and we had a great time. Wasn't sure what to expect, but glad to have read the last few reviews, they were very helpful in making our decision. We knew we wanted to relax on the beach/pool and not run around to different amusement/water parks. We got that here!

My children (ages 3, 9, 13 and neice 15) had a great time. The activity center kept them busy and each day they checked the itinerary to see what they could do next. They played volley ball with other kids in the pool, went to a movie night and a d.j. entertained them another day. They were never bored.

We stayed in unit 1, the older unit and had an oceanfront view.
Our unit was dated, but clean. All of the units in this building will be remodeled and we were told they would be closing in September to begin this renovation. We were able to see a model unit and it was absolutely beautiful. We are hoping to go back next year to stay in one!

The ocean was rough a few days, but the kids and husband really enjoyed it. I think we came home with 5 pounds of sea shells! The beaches were never crowded, it was extremely relaxing.

There is a Publix nearby and also a CVS. A 10 minute ride will find you the Mall, movie theaters and all the stores you miss back home as well as restaurants.

While many reviewers mentioned mites, bed bugs, no-see-ums, it wasn't until the evening after the sun went down that we experienced the no-see-ums. They are no different than a mosquito bite. Be sure to spray yourself if your heading out in the evening, that should help. Also, we did not get bit inside the unit as other reviewers had mentioned. Be sure to keep the screens closed in the evening.

If your looking for a place to kick back, relax and unwind this is the place for you and your family. I hope you like it as much as we did. We're definetely go back!

• Liked — The ocean front view
  • Disliked — Unit was old
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay above the 2nd floor for a better view in building 1
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank sonicm
Athens
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2006

We traded our timeshare week in Orlando with this resort and were very pleased with the trade. My youngest son continually told us all week that he wanted to come back here every year. We are a busy family….my husband and I both work, our children (boys ages 11 and 12) are involved in sports – we are always on the go. This trip was great for us. We didn’t want to stand in line in theme parks or go to a crowded area. Sleeping late and taking it easy were number one on our agenda.

We had a corner unit in the front building which is building one (the original building). Our unit had the large balcony that extended from the master bedroom / den area on the front of the building, around to the side den / kitchen area. We had a wonderful view and a great breeze, both day and night.

We had fairly calm waves the first two days, but day three and four….the waves crashed in. The boys loved the rough waves and spent hours on their boogie boards. This was great for my husband and I…..they played and we read and listened to our MP3 players. The beach was never crowded (which was to our enjoyment!)

The resort offered so many activities for the kids. They offered ice cream socials, movies, games, scavenger hunts, bingo, crafts, etc, etc….. You could check out board games for two days. The pool area was small, but the volleyball net was great. My husband and I played with a couple of kids one afternoon……my younger son played most days. They also supplied towels. Above the pool area was a tanning deck, with a life size chess board and tons of unoccupied chairs to sun in. Again, the breeze was superb!

Our unit was a good bit older than our Orlando unit, but overhearing a conversation at the front desk, I do think this resort is totally re-doing their units during the fall season. For us, it was clean and had everything that we needed. They had two gas grills and 2 charcoal grills, so we cooked out the first 4 days we were on the resort. There were several grocery stores nearby.

And as far as a prior post regarding bedbugs, perhaps they were bitten by no-see-ums. We were bitten on the beach at dusk on our first night. Not knowing what we were up against, I went to the front desk and asked. The night associate went far beyond on helping us. From what she shared w/ us, Southern Florida is common to these tiny, little bugs. They are almost too small to be seen, but their presence is painfully felt. They are barely 1/32 inch and easily pass through ordinary window screen. We were advised to be careful on keeping doors and/ or screens open because these bugs can get in. Another family that we met from Miami confirmed this overbearing pest. This associate shared her OFF w/ deat, gave us some samples of hydrocortisone for our bites.....she was so helpful!

I hope if you choose to go to this resort that you enjoy it as much as we did!!!

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank whoee
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2006

This was one of the best vacations my wife and I have experienced. The resort is located on the beach facing the ocean all rooms in the older building are ocean front with very large balconies. The newer building has ocean front views with smaller balconies. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful, the 2 bedroom unit was large and clean as was the entire resort area. Unlike some of the nearby resorts/buildings there were no visible damage to the buildings and grounds from the recent hurricanes. They are in the process of replacing/updating the furniture, fixtures, floors, etc in all units.

There is not much to do but we loved the opportunity to simply relax on the beach, pool side and/or take an evening stroll on the beach. During our seven day visit there was never a crowd on the beach, which was nice. While there is not a restaurant onsite, a short 10 minute drive to Jensen Beach where there is a shopping mall, a Wal Mart, various local and national restaurants, etc. If you are searching for a resort to relax and enjoy the beach without the crowds than search no more.

• Stayed May 2006
Hampton Inn & Suites Stuart-North
Royal Inn Beach Hutchinson Island
Hutchinson Island Marriott Beach Resort & Marina
Hutchinson Island Plaza Hotel and Suites

Been to Vistana Beach Club? Share your experiences!