TripAdvisor
Howey in the Hills
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews great golf golf courses are pro shop golf outing round of golf central florida rolling hills breakfast buffet the bread pudding la hacienda old florida long weekend tennis courts on site mount dora skeet shooting resort club
Selected filters
Reviewed April 7, 2018

We went to the Mission Inn in April. We were there for a wedding which was being held at the Pavilion in Traverse City, but the guests were staying at Mission Inn. The golf course, El Campion, is ranked as the #1 golf course in Florida and hosts tournaments for the NCAA, etc. Everyone who I knew who played golf loved the course. But, I'm writing this review as someone who ate and stayed at the hotel without the golf experience. And my experience was very different from the other recent reviews. Where I will agree with them is that the Mission Inn is an older resort that could use upgraded carpeting, etc. But, that did not detract from a fantastic experience overall for my wife and I.

In case you could not tell from the Conquistador logo, the Mission Inn has a strong Spanish Colonial influence. The grounds are very well maintained and have many spectacular sites for taking photographs. The staff was friendly, but our bell men in particular were very helpful and informative. Overall, our dining experiences at the La Margarita Restaurant for dinner and at the La Hacienda Restaurant for breakfast was very good. My wife and I loved our room. With the exception of the shower which could have used a little more water pressure, everything worked great. The pool area is small compared to some resorts, but I liked the heated pool and spa. They had all kinds of activities around the pool area to indulge in.

Overall, the Mission Inn is not as slick as some of the more contemporary resorts. It does feel like an older establishment. But, I think that is part of its charm. The best review I can give is that I would go back there some day, especially if you want a great round of golf or a romantic getaway.

Room tip: Walk the grounds with your wife and bring your camera to take lots of pictures
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
sdtoth, Director of Sales at Mission Inn Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2018

That you for your kind and accurate assessment. We are glad you had a memorable experience at the resort. We ste in the process of spending $3.5 million on property improvements with all new guest rooms compketed in January. New carpets in all four restuarants has also been completed plus upgrades to wi-fi, interior roads, and msny smaller but important amenities. Carpets sre on the list as tou suggested.
We hope you do return again for a couples getaway or golf trip with friends. Our staff service is a hallmark and why many folks return regularly. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

If you are looking for a luxurious resort this is not the place. Kind of like the resort that is stuck in time - the entire complex needs a serious facelift / updating but I assume without new investment coming in that is not possible so you are left with what feels like a very tired resort. That being said, most of the staff we interacted with could not have been nicer but was clear they were used to dealing with problems - wrong keys, broken A/C, bad beds etc etc. Also, if you are expecting to sit and lounge at a big pool think again - small little pool with little shade but a decent hot tub and bar.

The only restaurant we tried was Nickers at the golf complex but again very good service and we thought the food was very good - not fancy just burgers, salads etc.
We were mainly here for the golf and generally we were happy with the experience. El Campeon is a real test especially from the blue tees. Long and challenging. The second course had some good holes as well but this course has been reconfigured over the years leaving you with some crazy walks/drives between holes. Very good practice facility clearly funded by the Gilchrist Golf Academy which is huge. We were able to book a bunch of tee times, play early and the pro shop was great at working with us on a very good deal for our group. Very accommodating. The only downside of the golf was the condition of the bunkers and cart paths again back to the lack of investment. Even the cart girls were few (1) and far between with little stock to bring around. Rangers/starters were nice guys but again they were rarely seen on the course but we had to call them when we ran into a 5-some and a 6-some in front of us ! They must be doing something right as they continue to attract some of the NCAA tournaments - Div 3 Women's Championship going to be there in May.

You just look at this place and you hope someone will come along and invest some money - was a star hotel in it's day 40 years ago and the potential is there !

Room tip: 2 bedroom golf villas are very old and dated. Beds not great.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank Mad-SeaCliffTravel
BudBeucher, General Manager at Mission Inn Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I regret that we seemed to miss the mark during your stay. We are a family owned and operated business for over 50 years and we take a lot of pride in our resort. I am sorry that you found it outdated. We are always trying to make the improvements that we can. I am also pleased to let you know that we have our guest rooms scheduled to be renovated this summer with new furniture, mattresses, lighting and artwork. I am glad to hear that you did enjoy our golf courses and hope that you will give us another chance to earn your business back.

Reviewed March 30, 2018 via mobile

Ok so there is one decent track on this property, El Campion. The other track is rather blah and not very well maintained. However for a group trip of 24 too stay and play on one property in the winter in Florida. It ain’t bad. Restaurants very in pricing and there are several on site. We only had one bad experience really and for 24 middle aged men that ain’t bad. Maintenance of the grounds, pool area etc is not what you would expect from a “resort” but again the price is right.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank johnrZ4871WB

Thank you for sharing your experience. I regret that we missed the mark on some maintenance of the property. We are always trying to improve our quality so thank you for sharing your feedback. I hope you will give us another chance to earn your business back as we usually get rave reviews about our golf and landscaping.

Reviewed March 30, 2018

To be fair, the first 2 times I stayed here, I gave Mission inn 3 stars. My room was loud with hall noise. The A/C blew cold but the fan barely moved air. The bed on the a/c side was dirty. There was dirt and leaves between the sheets. Hotel itself was clean and pretty

Room tip: Rooms near the door and elevator are loud and it sounds like somebody knocking on your door all night
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
4  Thank Al H

I’m sorry to hear about your negative experience. We are normally known for our exceptional attention to detail, and we regret that we missed the mark. My name is Bud Beucher and I am the Owner/General Manger. We would like to learn more about your specific situation and make things right. If you’d like to discuss this further, please contact me at budbeucher@missioninnresort.com. I look forward to speaking with you and working towards earning your business back.

Reviewed March 26, 2018

This is easily the best hotel/resort in the area. The resort was fantastic. The grounds were beautiful. The room was huge, bed comfortable, bathroom spacious. The experience was awesome. We had a romantic getaway and this was the perfect home base to explore Lake and Sumter County. Great time great resort.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review of Mission Inn Resort! We are thrilled to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.