“A Slice of Florida River Charm”

Homosassa Riverside Resort
Reviewed May 21, 2007

We stayed in a one bedroom villa for three nights. It was very clean, new furnishing and a fully equipped kitchen. The bed was a little hard for my taste and we stayed in an upstairs unit. We had a river view. Alot of people come here to fish, boat and party. So yes there can be some noise! The bar was great with entertainment on the open deck shaded by a tree dripping with Spanish moss. You can watch the monkeys on monkey island while you sip monkey juice! The food was pretty good too. Try the shrimp stuffed with crab and wrapped in bacon. On Thursday night all you can eat all the blue crab you can for 20 bucks. This place has been here since 1962 but I think it must have been renovated recently. I hope to return and yes we snorkeled with manatees too!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank juliebug52

Reviewed April 9, 2007

It was a last minute decision to stay here. I grew up in this town and I am now 41 years old. There is still the same furniture and mattresses in the rooms as when I was 12!!! The rooms are dirty!! The door lock would not work and I had to have someone come and let me in at 12:30 at night and again the next afternoon after reporting the problem to the front desk first thing in morning. It took 3 trips
the front desk to get the problem corrected. One of the women at the front desk acted as though she could care less. However, the man that
finally fixed the lock was pleasant about the situation. There are cobwebs around the room and the floors are flithy!! The bathroom door
is falling apart and it feels like you are ging to fall thruough the floor of room 316 at the door just inside the room. It is a very noisey place to stay. I do not mind paying to stay in a nice/desent hotel/motel but this place is a DUMP!!!! Put up a tent someplace esle
-- you will be better off!!!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank fisherqueen000
Reviewed March 29, 2007

We have just returned from wintering in Florida, and I regret not spending the whole winter in Homosassa. For anyone who has never been, you could be mistaken for thinking that they filmed the movies 'Southern Comfort' or 'Deliverence' here because it is in the middle of nowhere. However, you will be hard pressed to find a more idilic spot to relax. Remember, this is NOT Orlando so don't expect theme parks. The resort lies alongside the river, and you can relax by the pool or outside the bar and just watch the sun go down. The rooms are some of the best I have ever stayed in and are very good for the money. The Manatee trips are outstanding, tho a little early in the morning for some. You meet in Reception at 0530 to receive a briefing and get your wetsuit. The suits are all new and they have all sizes. The skipper we had, Capt Wayne White is also a professional photographer, so if you have a camera he is more than happy to use it for you. The underwater camera they give you is not much good in low light so take your own. The 20 min trip to the site can be a little chilly so take warm clothing, tho once you are in the 72 deg water you soon warm up. The Manatees will appear from nowhere and when they suddenly appear it's a shock. They are very mild mannered and as long as you don't splash around they will stay right with you. We were in the water for 90 mins, but it seemed like 5. Do youself a favor and stay a couple nights or more. I promise you won't regret it!!

• Stayed: February 2007
10  Thank ChiefBosun
Reviewed March 27, 2007

We stayed in a 2 bedroom overlooking the river. The room was large and clean, though we spent most of our time on the deck. Enjoyed the Monkey Bar and restaurant. Can't say enough nice things and will be back soon!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank sjh711
Reviewed March 12, 2007

We booked a riverfront studio for 2 nights, as part of a trip to swim with the manatees. The room was quite nice, not dirty, quite large. Fully kitted kitchen. It seemed overpriced for what it was but that seems to be common for hotels in this area.
The main problem was the noise. We were on the first floor, and the people above us sounded like elephants moving around the room. We could here them talking, laughing, moving chairs around, using the toilet! I don't know if they were unusually loud or the rooms have no soundproofing at all. I suspect a combination. The first night we contacted the front desk at 1am, who called them and they quietened down for a few minutes. The second night was equally bad. I would have loved this trip if it were not for this, but to pay $160/night and not get good sleep was disappointing.
If you stay here make sure you are upstairs, or don't plan to get to sleep before 2am - tough when your manatee tour starts at 6am!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EnglishTravels
Reviewed January 24, 2007

I booked a "standard" room, one without any amenities. The price was right, and I was going to use the room for sleeping only. I *had* planned to enjoy some time down at the river watching the birds, but after 5 minutes the bugs were chewing on me and my wife (who is very allergic to many types of bug bites) that we had to quit this activity. Well, we were there on a Monday, and the restaurant is not open on Mondays, so the very pleasant desk clerk told us about Margarita's Grill, a few miles away and suggested that we eat there. We drove there, the parking lot was packed full, and several cars were trolling for parking spaces. We left, drove halfway to Crystal River, and ate the evening meal. We returned to our room and began to unwind. It was then that I noted the multiple stains on the carpet and on the fabric of the furniture. I took a towel, moistened a portion of it, and with my index finger behind the wet portion, gave four back-and-forth swipes across the carpet. The towel came up extremely dark brown/black. It's obvious that this carpet hasn't had a decent cleaning in *quite* a while. Further examination of the room showed that the top of the chrome rack over the clothes hanging area (no closet) was *extremely* dirty/greasy. The bathroom itself was sufficiently clean, the towels were fresh, the drains worked well as did the TV and remote control. The desk clerks were very pleasant. If you're thinking of staying here on a Monday, and if unclean sleeping quarters bother you, I think I'd try some place in Crystal River. On the other hand, if you don't mind lots of bugs and sleeping in a dirty environment, this just may be the place for you!

8  Thank Weeble24740
Reviewed January 19, 2007

We stayed for one night at the property in a riverfront room. The room was better that I expected. I am always nervous if the owners do not show the rooms on their web site (I wonder if they are hiding something?), but we were very pleased with the room. I took my own pictures of the interior, but they got erased! I would classify this more as a motel complex instead of a resort, but we were there for such a short time that we did not get to look around much. We did see an outdoor pool, a sand volleyball court and a hospitality room. There are at least 4 two-story buildings. (The photo is of building #4 where we stayed.)

We are a family of 6, so the riverfront room was good for us as it has 2 large double beds and a queen sleeper sofa. Unlike most suites, the two beds are in a seperate bedroom that has a TV, bathroom, and plenty of storage (a closet, 2 dressers). The main room was average size, with a kitchen at one end. It had all full-size appliances which I think is more than usual. The counter had seating for four, and there were dishes for four also. It was all clean and recently remodeled. Nothing extraordinary, but fine for a trip to see the manatees!

Personally, I don't see a significant advantage to choosing the more expensive riverfront room unless you need the sleeping space as we did. The "resort" is small and all the buildings are close to the water. The river is pretty, but be aware that the boat docks are right outside your window so you are looking first at the docks and boats, then at the river. We saw ducks, other birds and dolphins in the water when we awoke, so the kids thought that was fun. We checked out right away due to time constraints so we can't comment on the resort amentities much. Watching the 5 monkeys on the island was quite different from the usual scenery. We ate dinner at the on-site restaurant and it was fine (only open for lunch and dinner, closed Mondays).

Misc.: We found a local place called Kim's Cafe (near Publix) and it was yummy for breakfast. Homestyle food at inexpensive prices. Took an airboat ride with Capt. Stu and it was worth the time and money to see the scenery and the ride is fun. (Take a jacket; it gets very windy!) Also went to see the Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park just up the road and it was great--manatees and lots more. (Take bug repellent.)

Overall, it was a nice place to stay and we enjoyed the town. Gives you a break from the bustling theme parks in Orlando, which is exactly what we wanted. Perfect for those who want a slower pace, fishing, snorkeling, boating, wildlife, etc.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Spring Hill
Quality Inn Crystal River
Quality Inn Crystal River
#9 of 9 in Crystal River

Been to Homosassa Riverside Resort? Share your experiences!