“Amazing Airboat Adventure”

Native Sun Tours
Ranked #8 of 24 Tours in Homosassa
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Native Sun Tours brings you to the heart of The Nature Coast on Florida`s beautiful Gulf Coast. Located on the Homosassa River, We`re convenient to all of Central Florida, including the Tampa Bay area, Orlando, Ocal and more.
Margate, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Amazing Airboat Adventure”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Captain Russ made us feel right at home and took a group photo for us right away! Very informative, exciting tour with loads of wildlife to see all around! Really enjoyed this 1 hour trip that lasted over the hour.

Visited April 2013

Pennsylvania
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Should have taken the pontoon ride.”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Taking an airboat ride was one of the items on my husband's Bucket List. We asked for the 2 hour tour but settled on the 1 1/2 hour tour since Russ had people who wanted that one. The disappointment was that we idled for 1 hour out of the total time. Wish he would have told us that he was not allowed to go any faster because of the manatees. We paid $100 for a slow sight-seeing tour. I actually fell asleep twice. I wondered why there were no seat belts or why we weren't instructed in life jacket use. No chance of an idling boat overturning!

Visited March 2013
4 Thank Woodsylady
Russell H, Owner at Native Sun Tours, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Everyone has a subjective opinion about what they enjoy, and I understand that wildlife viewing and outdoor activities may not be for everyone; however, I do feel that comments directed toward factual aspects of the trip should be accurate. Quite simply, none or our trips include an hour of idle time. While we do pick up speed, I am required by law to observe idle zones in winter months, 15 minutes going out and 15 minute coming in. I care about meeting the requirements of the law, but more importantly, I care about the manatees, which populate local waterways in the colder months and can suffer and die from boat strikes. (If you’re interested in seeing manatees, the slow zones actually give you a better chance to do so.)

Idle zones are also about boating safety, something else I take very seriously. Perhaps some folks have expectations of airboat rides from watching reality TV shows – these shows often depict unsafe and unwise boating behavior that I don’t practice. For me and the customers who enjoy what we do, the thrill comes from leaving the pavement and plastic of strip malls and theme parks behind to see the Real Florida.

As a small business owner, I don’t have a lot of down time to respond to comments, but I felt I needed to respond in this instance. I know that what takes a commenter a few minutes to casually write has the potential to have a disproportionately adverse impact a business that I have worked years to build.
Au Train, Michigan
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Fun, informative, and a great guide”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Captain Russ will give you a wonderful ride, tell you interesting things and you come away in awe of the area and sensitive to what is going on from everyone's point of view. This part of Florida is not on the beaten path, but if you like an Old Florida feel, this is the place. If Disney is one end of the spectrum, Native Sun Tours is certainly the other.

Visited February 2013
Tampa, Florida
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“So nice, we did it twice!”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I had a friend in town who has ALWAYS wanted to go on an airboat ride so having been on this tour before, I called Captain Russ at Native Sun Tours. He booked us on our tour and off we went at the appointed time and date.

Once again, this tour was AMAZING! We opted for the longest of his offerings -- the one that goes down the river, through the mangroves and sawgrass and out to the Gulf of Mexico. Captain Russ doesn't just take the same route over and over - instead he customizes the ride based on what you hope to see. He took us down a canal where we saw several baby alligators - so cool! We also saw lots and lots of birds, baby crabs, fish, sponges, and much more.

Captain Russ points out interesting things along the way and shares interesting facts and stories. It truly feels like you're having a friend show you around. He even took a couple of photos of us and gave us a killer recommendation on another place to visit while we were in town (the Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park) which we adored.

Oh yeah, and if all this wasn't enough, he even buzzed us by Monkey Island where we got an up close look at the local "residents".

If you're going to be in the Homosassa area and are looking for something really cool to do, call Native Sun. It'll be one of the highlights of your trip for sure ... and it's a great way to see Old Florida.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank Knizzle
Dunnellon, Florida
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Airboat fan”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Captain Russ makes this airboat trip the best. He is experienced, safe and an awesome captain. I take all of my visitors on his airboat ride. It is a MUST GO and a favorite for me and my guests. Beautiful, relaxing and a great trip for all ages.

Visited August 2012

Been to Native Sun Tours? Share your experiences!