“Very good food”

Ranked #1 of 59 Restaurants in Homosassa
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Restaurant/Bar in an old seafood freezer on the water where boats bring in their fresh catch. Amazing shrimp, fish dip and stone crabs. A lot of local controversy around restaraunt so it is becoming very popular.
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Out-of-the-way place with excellent food. Wed nite has great steaks (rib eye, boneless, grilled). Shrimp could not be fresher and is well seasoned. Only drawback is getting a table. No seating by a hostess. It is every man (woman) for himself. You sort of have to horn in on someone as you think they are about done, otherwise you will be standing at the door when they close

Reviewed October 26, 2013

If you don't know the area take a GPS because John does his best to hide the place. Probably because it can barely cope with the crowds especially at weekends and Wednesday Steak night. Now that is worth the wait in line and the noise!

2  Thank George N
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My wife and I stopped here for lunch one afternoon. A local told us about this place. It is located in the middle of nowhere and is a true hole in the wall local dive. You order at the bar and you pay as you go. Cash only. They mostly serve a large variety of locally caught seafood. We started off with smoked mullet dip that was very good. We then ordered 2.5 pounds of their steamed shrimp and five stone crab claws that were outstanding.

We came back here for dinner a few nights later but it was too smokey for us with the canopy on their patio.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Guy Fieri would LOVE it!

I already sent The Freezer into "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" (Food Network) and will probably regret it - just like I'll no doubt regret giving this review. (We'll hafta wait in line to find seats in the future if everyone takes heed.)

We always plan our Florida trips to begin in Homosassa JUST so we can grab a fantastic shrimp dinner here. The first time we came to The Freezer it was on a fluke. One of the locals had recommended it over another "tourist trap" we were thinking of taking in. (We found out later that the "tourist trap" just reheated stuff and called it "fresh" seafood.) Man, are we glad we got the tip about The Freezer! Oh yeah, they serve other things, too, like fresh crab, fish, mullet dip (yummm!) and even mussels! I think they offer a steak (to die for) on Wednesday nights. 'Always have a "nightly special" there.....but, we can't even get past their shrimp! Soooo good!

About the shrimp: If you like large, fresh, steamed shrimp (they catch 'em themselves on their own boats) served Cajun style, you'll not want to miss this entrée on the menu. It's 2 1/2# of shrimp (they call it a "full order") for $21.95 and they serve it with melted butter and ("snappy") shrimp sauce. My wife and I split this "full order" along with getting slaw and some beers, either bottled or on tap. I'm here to tell ya, this is a meal straight outa heaven! We try to find seats along "the rail" which overlooks the water and a marina.

Now listen, if you're squeamish about going into a "dive," I wouldn't recommend you trying The Freezer, although the folks, both behind the counter and the customers are quite friendly. This place is called "The Freezer" because the main part of it, the inside, used to be, yes, a freezer! It's a left-over from what used to be a fishing wholesale packing house, I guess. (They still sell fresh seafood at the other end of the building, an edifice which looks like some old, wholesale fishery. In fact, you'll miss it first time you try to find it - guaranteed!) We just KNEW we were coming into some sort of "hidden attraction of the area" when we first walked from the parking lot PACKED with cars. (Again, I really shouldn't be tooting my horn about The Freezer. It'll come back to bite me when we can't get in next time.)

After you find a place to sit, you go up to a counter to give your order. They only take cash. (let me repeat that...) THEY ONLY TAKE CASH! 'Even have an ATM at the entrance for those who might need to access some of that green folding stuff. After ordering and paying, you sit wherever you're table (or place along "the rail") is. They bring your food to you when it's ready.

I mentioned about the inside. There's also an added "tiki-type" dining area which is open to the outside. That's where "the rail" is - along the far side overlooking the water (where WE like to land.) You can also select from any number of picnic tables which are outside, some along the walkway on the grass, or some which are right next to the water. Most outside tables have large umbrellas mounted over them. While we're eating, we've seen fish jump out of the water (even a porpoise during one visit), birds and several boats coming and going, many of them using The Freezer's dock so the folks can get out and get some great seafood grub here.

If you want dripping chandeliers, waiter in tuxedos, strolling violinists (etc), STAY AWAY from this place! But, if you just LOVE fresh seafood and don't mind the casual atmosphere, I would recommend, no, STRONGLY recommend The Freezer in Homosassa, Florida!

'Better get there before everyone else does!

2  Thank Richard Y
Reviewed October 14, 2013

a very simple menu, but great taste and great value. get the 1 1/2# of shrimp or the catfish!!!
It's hidden on a back road, but when you find it, you don't want to leave!!!!!