“clean, homey, priced right, and really nice owners”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holmes Beach
Anna Maria Pirates Den
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Holmes Beach
Reviewed November 13, 2009

My wife and were taking a little four day trip arriving at Tampa airport. Having been to Anna Maria several years ago, we decided to return since we liked it so much. I did not want to book a place to stay ahead of time though since I did not want to lose any money if for some reason our flight was delayed or canceled. I got on the phone a couple of days before we left and called some of the places I thought I would like to stay to see if they might have any availability. Some did and some didn't. When I called the Pirate's Den Maree said that she would pencil me in for the dates I wanted. They do not take credit cards and since our stay was only in a couple of days there was no way to mail a check to her in time. She was willing to hold our room for us based only on me telling her that we wished to stay here. Right away I knew this was the place for us. When we landed in Tampa, we got our rental car and started the drive south. My wife called to tell Maree that we were on our way. When we arrived we were shown to our room which was #6 which is part of the cottage. It was great. There was a living room, well stocked kitchen, bedroom with two beds, and a good sized bathroom even with a scale. There was a private patio with a gas grill. Also included was our own private outside shower. The beach was a short walk away. We were able to walk to the Publix as well as the other stores. We ate at the Old Hamburg German restaurant one night. It is within walking distance and quite authentic. A good and varied selection of German beers on tap. We had a good supply of towels for the bathroom as well as the beach. It was quite hot and the pool was quite refreshing. My wife and I took advantage of the bikes on hand and rode up to Bean Point as well down into Bradenton Beach. We tried a little beach cruising but did not get too far as the sand was a little to soft. We chewed the fat with Dave quite a bit. He has some interesting stories. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. This is not a super fancy place. If you need super fancy look elsewhere, and be prepared to pay the price.
PS Although the pool seemed fine to me they are going to have it updated. I believe Dave said it would be the last week of Nov. or the first week of Dec. 09

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sheltercove

Reviewed September 2, 2009

We recently stayed at the pirates den for 5 days with my wife and two children in unit 3 and my parents in a cottage. We have ABSOLUTELY NO complaints and lots of praise for the Pirates Den and the proprietors, Dave and Maree. Pirates Den is across a litely travelled street from the beach, around the corner from the grocery store, and close to the free trolley stop. The unit was very clean, the furniture nice, the beds comfortable, the bathrooms clean and updated. Having planned ahead, we brought a wagon on vacation to load up the beach items to carry to the beach along with the small children. We would highly recommend Pirates Den and will be staying there again in the years to come.

Reviewed August 18, 2009

A group of seven family members stayed in apts. 1&3 . We felt absolutely welcomed by the owners, Dave and Maree. They were so genuinely friendly and full of info about area
restaurants and attractions! The rooms were spacious and clean; there were bbq grills
available complete with utensils just outside by the pool. In the screened sitting area by the pool there were comfy chairs and even a selection of books for guests to enjoy! The
beach was just a very short stroll across the street. I would much prefer the Pirates Den
to any of the impersonal high-rise hotels along the beach. This was the most relaxing
vacation I've had in years!

Reviewed August 16, 2009

The Pirate's Den is truly the old Florida style. The entire stay was so relaxing we didn't want to leave. We stayed in apts. 1 and 3, and the rooms were inviting and super clean. The Proprietors, Dave and Maree, were so friendly and hospitable, seemed as if we had known them for years. We will definately go back! M. Rhodes (Robbins family)

Reviewed August 3, 2009

I was rather disconcerted about a review I read recently concerning one of our favorite places to visit. Yes, we all have our own opinions, but I felt the review was worth writing my opinion. First of all, my husband and I are in our 60s, so perhaps this couple was older and found it difficult to walk the short distance to the beach. We are always forgetting something and think nothing of that small walk. It's not a busy road, and the beach is fantastic, (at least they liked the beach). We stay in Apartment 3, two bedrooms with 2 bathrooms, and find it charming . . . definitely old FL, which we want. However, we have never been so bored that we have to look at the bottom of furniture to find out the price of something. How absurd! Maree and Dave are wonderful hosts, and they maintain this little gem of a place in true old FL style. We go back in November and can't wait!

Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I was dismayed and puzzled by a recent review of the Anna Maria Pirates Den.I have been a guest there for 5 years and counting. It is just a short block to the beach; it has a pool; it is clean and the units are well furnished and the owners are absolutely delightful. The draw for me is that this is a place that rarely exists in Florida anymore. It's cozy, convenient quiet and friendly. It is, happily, not a cookie cutter sort of place. It is a wonderful throw-back to the many "Mom and Pop" places that used to be everywhere in Florida. I really, really enjoy my stay at Anna Maria Pirates Den.
Judy M

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank Michwayne
Reviewed July 26, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from our 2nd holiday to Anna Maria Island and both times we have stayed at Pirates Den.

We stayed there last year in Cottage No.5. It was perfect for us, clean, spacious and with a nice private patio area.

This year we returned to the island for our honeymoon (as we fell in love with the place) and we decided that, as we enjoyed our stay so much last year, we'd stay at Pirates Den again and we weren't disappointed. This time we stayed in Apartment 4 and this was perfect for us too - clean, spacious and with a nice little balcony overlooking the Gulf. The furniture is fine, it has a nice Old Florida feel (I really don't get the previous review!).

It is across the road from the beach - not too far to walk with sunbeds at all!! It is also walking distance to all the local amenities. If you don't want to go on the beach it has it's own small private pool area.

We will go on many more holidays to Anna Maria Island and I'm pretty sure that each time we go we will stay at Pirates Den again, unless it is booked up! It is perfect for the price and location. Maree and Dave, who run it, are lovely too and make you feel really welcome.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 mi away
Sunrise Garden Resort
Sunrise Garden Resort
#1 of 3 in Anna Maria

Been to Anna Maria Pirates Den? Share your experiences!