This was our second round with the Harrington House so something must have brought us back... fact is I was a bit disappointed in terms of what you pay and what you get... six hundred bucks isn't chump change for a couple of nights on the beach... when I put out that kind of money for a bed and breakfast I expect it to be something out of the ordinary. We paid way less than that for a superior bed and breakfast in the Maui highlands a year or so ago which kind of set the bed and breakfast bar for me... yeah, I know, not a weekend get away destination but in a part of the world where you expect to bleed your bank account dry it was head and shoulders above what we just experienced at the HH.
So... what does six bills and two nights on one of Florida's finest beaches get you? On this round it was a musty, damp room with a peculiar odor... kind of a combo of bug spray, mildew, (and something perfumy in an attempt to cover up the bug spray and mildew) with an air conditioner that rattled you out of bed every time the compressor cut on. Sure, the in-room heart shaped hot tub was a plus and being right on the beach in a classic Florida beach house was nice but...
Both breakfasts were not anything to write home about... two mini blintzes on day one and a small omlette with two pieces of toast the next, ok, homemade oat bread toast and a piece of blueberry bread... but again, for the money I really do expect more. My wife ordered something other than the daily special and was presented with two fired eggs and, well, two fried eggs... no bacon, ham, sausage, or anything else was offered up...
Not really panning the place as a disaster but it is showing its age and in terms of "value" I would rate it pretty low on the chart... romantic getaway? Perhaps but I think this destination is best suited for senior citizens with small appetites or anyone else with large weekend getaway budget in search of a some place that offers a bit of solitude and lot of peace and quiet.
Will we go back? Probably not... we'll file this one under the been there, done that (twice) and look for another Florida getaway... for the same money, less actually, we could have done a three day cruise on a RCL ship out of Port Canaveral with some money left over to leave in the Casino.
If the HH is in your sights I would avoide bunking in the stinky, damp cottage and opt for one of the rooms on one of the upper floors of the main house... don't recall any issues during that stay and the breakfasts were better and more substantial during round one.
Summary: Destination/Beach: A+++ Accomodations: C
Breakfast: D Staff: B+ Local eateries: A
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come savor intimate charm and casual elegance of Harrington House Beachfront Bed & Breakfast, one of Florida’s most highly rated Bed & Breakfast Inns located on a tranquil bit of paradise known as Anna Maria Island. The stunning sunsets, soothing rhythm of waves on the white sugar sand beaches, and warm hospitality – combine to create that perfect getaway. Tropical surroundings and serenity top the list of amenities. Savor a new gourmet breakfast selection every day from our collection of recipes prepared by our own professional chefs. Relax in the living room, a gathering place where visitors become friends. All rooms have private baths, color cable TV, air conditioning and free wireless internet. Many of the rooms have French doors leading to balconies, overlooking the pool and the Gulf of Mexico. Once you visit the Harrington House, you will want to return again and again. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Harrington House Beachfront Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harrington House Beachfront Hotel Holmes Beach
- Harrington House Beachfront Bed And Breakfast
- Harrington House Beachfront Bed & Breakfast Anna Maria Island/Holmes Beach, FL