“Yummy good, neat atmosphere”
Review of Mr. Bones

Mr. Bones
Ranked #13 of 40 Restaurants in Holmes Beach
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Mr Bones is a one of a kind family owned and operated business. We have lived and worked on Anna Maria Island since 1992. We have a loyal following of locals, and Snowbirds (as well as our snowbirds from across the pond). If you are looking for the same old corporate American vacation cuisine, you will NOT find it here. All of our food is actually home made in our little 40 seat restaurant. We are the only island restaurant with a separate menu for our vegan friends, so family's can go out to eat together. If you don't feel like eating out, after a long day on the beach or on the boat, "take out" is available. For groups of 15 + see our catering menu on our website.
Bradenton, Florida
“Yummy good, neat atmosphere”
Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for an interesting menu and a kitschy atmosphere this is the place for you. This is a Indian, BBQ place. Dressed up like a voodoo place, you enter to see a coffin with iced down bottles of beer in it and are told to select what you want. Neat and fun little way to get your beer. The menu is mostly BBQ with some curry dishes and salads and wraps mixed in. I chose the pulled pork plate which came with veggie fried rice (creole) and your choice of two sides. No French fries here! I had BBQ baked beans and candied yams. All was delicious. My husband and I shared a salad with BBQ sauce dressing which was delicious! The bread they brought to the table was garlic bread but not very garlicky or buttery at all. I was disappointed by that. The wait staff is very nice and attentive. I would eat there again.

• Czech first
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Good food but uncomfortable”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Mr. Bones is a uniquely decorated, very tasty BBQ restaurant on Holmes Beach, FL. I came across it as I was looking for vegan-friendly dinner options on vegsarasota.com during a vacation in July 2014.

I ordered black beans and rice which was actually very good along with sweet potatos that were heavy on nutmeg. My parents ordered ribs and LOVED them! The food is definitely THE reason to go there as should be the case with all restaurants.

Mr. Bones is a very small and crowded restaurant however. My family was seated so close to another table next to us that to get out of my chair I had to ask everyone on my side of the table to slide across their chairs into the aisle (not just scoot closer to the table, I literally needed to shift into their chairs to get out) and I then still bumped the table behind me as I climbed my way out. There was no air conditioning in the restroom and the wall I sat next to during dinner must have been joined to the kitchen because it was very hot to touch, making for an uncomfortable dinner experience. The wall decorations I thought were fun and the beer "cooler" at the entrance was a unique idea.

The staff was very polite and efficient and my experience overall was positive in large part because of the food and decorations, but the discomfort was laughable. I recommend you try Mr. Bones if you are in the area and be sure to get there early!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank chelseamu
“Best meal on the island! ”
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

I haven't visited Mr Bones for a few years, went back last week and it was even better than I remembered. Our party of three enjoyed the BBQ baby back ribs, 1/2 chicken and 10 wings. Everyone loved their meal, the ribs were a stand out. They don't provide seasoning and you don't need it! Sides of beans, yams etc were good too, and extremely good value.

1 Thank poolmermaid
Charleston, South Carolina
“Amazing barbeque!”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

The barbecue is to die for! They serve really good garlic bread with the dinner in house as well. It's a very quiry, New Orleans style restaurant. Small place. Great service. Food is amazing! Curried rice, vegetable fried rice, potato salad ----all really, really good!

• Visited August 2014
Sebring, Florida
“Unusually great bbq”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

On previous trips to this area we avoided Mr Bones as it seemed way too unusual for us. Took a chance this time and was more than pleasantly surprised. Great BBQ chicken & pulled pork. Hot was only mildly spicy. I was a bit taken back by their no salt/no pepper policy but found the food seasoned in such a way that neither salt nor pepper was necessary. Pleasant, efficient servers & staff. Very unusual menu, but with all their variety everyone should be able to find something to enjoy.

• Visited August 2014