“Good food but sad experience” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Cuban, Caribbean, Latin
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating
Austin, Texas
“Good food but sad experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stopped in for lunch but was met at the door by the waitress -- actually trying to get us to leave...because they were backed up and unable to service customers quickly. She was informative that the wait could be 30-40 minutes to get our food...but we have never experienced anything quite like this day. I did count 15 customer leave after the waitress talked with them and never come inside. There was a table of about 7 and a large to go order in front of that...us ( a table of two) and a table of four in the place. I observed the cook-chef--getting very frustrated and ranting under his breath and snapping at his help and he actually threw a piece of aluminum foil across the counter at the man that was helping stock things up and get the to-go orders ready for pick up. I heard the cook make remarks out of complete frustration that customers should not hear. I realize we came in on a bad day-- maybe someone did not show up or something. Maybe they should have just locked the doors and taken care of the guests they had inside? My husband is an executive chef and he was with me and we were astonished at what was going on. The three of them ( Cook, waitress and waiter) were upset and it was quite obvious. They could not handle the orders. I watched to see what they would do and see if they could re-gain control--- but it never happened while we were there. Our food came to us in about 30 mins and it was good. But, my stomach hurt from watching all the commotion in front of us. I felt tense and nervous watching them. You go out to eat to relax and enjoy the meal. I hope things worked out for them. We entertain a lot and have company in from out of state and like to take them to locale restaurants...but we probably will not try this place again.

I do hope other have a more wonderful experience and enjoy the food -- because it is good.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars

Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Food here was fantastic, 9 of us arrived late last Thursday evening, we were given a table straight away, no children's menu but we were assured that they could have a smaller dinner of anything on the menu. Food arrived very promptly and each of the dinners were fantastic and excellent value for money. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited July 2014
Vero Beach, Florida
“Havana Cabana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Great food good Cuban sandwich! There black
beans are really good also. Interior is unique and
also has seating outside.

Visited May 2014
Clermont
“Hidden Away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We found Havana Cabana by accident. We stopped in for lunch and were surprised. The empanadas I had were good but the crust was just a little burned on one side. The rice and beans that were served had just the right amount of spice. They have good Cuban sandwiches. If you like Cuban food this is the place to go. The atmosphere is like having lunch in a library - very interesting. We will go back again for sure.

• Visited June 2014
“BEYOND TERRIBLE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

The steak was bread crumbs with no flavor, I'm still looking for the steak. The bread was hard like leather. The chef needs to hire a chef. The only purpose this food served was to clean out our stomachs. It served as a LAXATIVE. WE WERE VERY DISSATISFIED AS YOU CAN TELL. THE ONLY THING THAT WAS GOODS WAS THE FREEZER BECAUSE THE SODAS WERE VERY COLD. THERE IS NO HAVANA ,IN THIS HAVANA CABANA !