“Great food, laid back atmosphere”
Review of Island Grill

Island Grill
Ranked #18 of 41 Restaurants in Holmes Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Providing an exquisite menu that features true American cuisine in a hip environment, Island Gourmet Grill creates palate teasing dishes that guests will enjoy. Island Gourmet Grill is under new ownership. With its clean, Florida atmosphere meshed with traditional yet slightly modern dishes, Island Gourmet Grill is a fantastic choice for dinner with friends or a romantic date with a loved one, and the service and visually appealing atmosphere will surely entice guests to come back for more. Al Fresco dining is also available along with a full bar.Not only does Island Gourmet Grill offer a beautiful dining environment, but the cuisine is fantastic. Some modern Italian classics accompany array of fresh seafood, steak, chicken dishes and delicious hand made pizzas.
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Although I'm on the island often, this was my first visit to Island Gourmet Grill. It most certainly won't be my last. I stopped in at 6:00 on a Saturday evening and had no trouble getting a table. Since it's not yet season, reservations weren't necessary. The bar area is very nice, with seating available at both the main bar, the pizza making area and a few tables. I choose to sit in the smallish main dining room. One word of caution. The tables around the outside perimeter of the area seem to have different chairs than the others, and they're kind of short for the height of the table. I felt a bit like I needed a phone book to sit on. I ordered the crab stuffed shrimp. It was delicious. I received 5 large, perfectly cooked shrimp stuffed with blue crab and topped with a bit of a light buttery sauce. The shrimp were accompanied by delicious roasted red skin potatoes that were nicely seasoned with just a kick of something spicy. The vegetable of the day was the all too common sautéed squash medley, which was the only miss of the meal. Service was prompt, friendly and professional. Prices were very reasonable. This is a nice addition to my list of restaurant choices.

2  Thank BuddyRulz
Scott S, Owner at Island Grill, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you for writing. Appreciate your comments. We have removed the chairs that you spoke of, So no need for a phone book. Thank again, we hope to see you soon. Scott

Reviewed November 22, 2013

We ate here for the first time two weeks ago. We didn't have a reservation and got a table right away. The bar area is very nice and it appears to have a really good selection of wine. We had apps of soup of the day and grouper tacos and mains of fillet mignon and linguini with clams. Both of my courses were very pleasant although my OH would have preffered his 'medium' steak to have some pink in it. I felt it was well done. In another nearby restaurant I had the fillet which I asked for medium and it looked uncooked in parts so I presume each chef has a different idea of medium! We had a bottle of house merlot which was nice and reasonably priced. It did seem that the staff were rushing around a bit and we had some food delivered to our table which wasn't ours, no big deal and we did get an apology. We enjoyed our evening though and would give it another go next vacation.

3  Thank Mary1967

Thank you for writing. So sorry about your steak. I wish you would have let us know, so we may have done something about it. Maybe next time your in let me know. Thanks Scott

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We are spending two weeks in a row this year and were fearful we would run out of places to eat. Boy were we wrong. With the help of tripadvisor we tried a bunch of new places, the Island Gourmet Grille being one of them. Since we have been having huge meals, I ordered the Penne Palermo, thinking it would be less filling, a pasta dish with a tasty sauce, not white but not red either with sweet Italian sausage pieces in it. I was tempted to eliminate the spinach they add, but luckily decided to go with how the chef makes it. It was a nice portion, served steaming hot. I would have liked a litttle more meat, but once I started into it, it seemed I had a taste of sausage with each bite.

My special spouse had chicken parmigiani, which wasn't even on the menu! The portion was quite large and perfectly prepared. So much for my modest meal, I had to finish the chicken! Poor me! The garlic bread, consisting of pizza dough with a little cheese on it was a nice start, also hot out of the oven. Since we ate off the menu, we were fearful of what the charge might be for the chicken. $16, more than fair. I almost forgot to mention Kelli our server, who was most gracious, as was the chef. Chalk up another restaurant to put on our schedule for our next visit...

1  Thank Ned M
Scott S, Owner at Island Grill, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thank you for your great comments. We appreciate the compliments. I will also pass along to the Kellee and the chef. Thank you again, Scott

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband I ate here last night at the bar. We did not have reservations and wanted someplace we could bike to. Appears that reservations weren't needed (at least at the early evening hour of 6:15) the wines by the glass list was very good. We split the crab claw appetizer (had garlic bread, tomatoes, in a white wine sauce yummy!) then split the chopped salad -- I would go back just for this chopped salad, then ordered a pizza which was fresh, homemade crust and delicious. We took 1/2 home and had it for breakfast ! I'm so glad we rediscovered this place and give it another go!! We will be back for sure.

Thank you for taking the time to write. Love the 5 stars. Thank you Scott

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Island Gourmet expanded from a mostly pizza place several years back, taking over the adjacent store front, and remodeling into a very attractive restaurant including a beautiful bar. Their website: http://www.islandgourmetgrill.com/ -
includes their menu, wine and beer list, and a few photos. Very nice, warm-looking atmosphere - but the A/C temperature was too low during our visit, a little uncomfortable.
I had pasta with meatballs, a very generous serving size. The tomato "gravy" and pasta were quite good, but the meatballs were dry and had not much flavor. It seemed they were cooked separately with no sauce and scant seasoning and then applied to the plate.
My wife had their white pizza - an Alfredo sauce, Feta cheese, and spinach - and this was superb. )Fortunately for me, she has a small appetite. The leftover pizza was boxed up and taken home. I got to it first the next day, and had an excellent lunch.)
We'll be back - maybe not for the meatballs - but have eaten here several other times, and have enjoyed the restaurant's soups, appetizers, and their other dinner options. For this visit, I'd rate their food "Average" due to the meatballs, but other occasions "Very Good".

Thank you for taking the time to write. Sorry about the meatballs, we have taken steps to correct them. Please next time let us know right then and there as we would have liked to take care of that entree. Please let me know on your next visit so I may welcome you back Thank you again Scott