“Quiet beach right down the road, and not too far from great family fun!”
Review of Driftwood Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holmes Beach
Driftwood Motel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Holmes Beach
Lansing, Michigan
“Quiet beach right down the road, and not too far from great family fun!”
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I have stayed in this motel quite a few times. I come down from Michigan with family - grandparents, parents, and kids. It is a 5-10 minute walk down the road to a great beach that is never crowded. One of my favorite things to do was to sneak off to the beach late at night and I would have it all to myself! Very beautiful. The water is never still, but the crashing waves are soothing. Very relaxing.

The only drawback to the motel, I'd say, is that the pool closes very early. It would be fun to have some nighttime swimming, and the parking lot is at a strange angle. But it isn't that hard to get out since the street next to it isn't very busy!

It is a little farther than I'd like from fun attractions, but it just depends on what you want to do. We travelled 20 minutes to an hour on average to the locations we frequented which included Busch Gardens, a great beachside ice cream parlor and gift shoppe, the Orange Grove, a fun lodge-esque restaurant that served aligator nuggets, and another restaurant that always serves free beer tomorrow!

Other than Busch Gardens, our vacation was easy, simple and relaxing. Great for families, couples or a solo travelor that doesn't mind a little driving!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank smileylizzie

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Toms River
Reviewed March 25, 2010

My wife and I stayed for five nights in the beginning of March. The island was quite crowded and we got this place at the last minute. We stayed in # 3. It had two beds, a kitchen area and ample storage. It had a combo air conditioner heater unit which came in handy as it was on the cold side for March. The kitchen had all the things we needed to make a small meal. It had a good sized fridge. There were mugs chilling in the freezer when we arrived. Nice touch. Plenty of hot water in the shower. The tv had a DVD and cassette player built into it. The tile floor was clean. You could walk around in your bare feet without picking up sand. There was an outdoor grill near the pool that we used on one occasion. We rented a tandem bike from Beach Bums on Pine Street. We did a lot of bike riding. We rode over the bridge to the Robinson Preserve which is well worth the effort. You will find a lot of bird life there. The Preserve is quite large so you can do a lot of riding there. There is a tower that you can climb for a good view of the area. Once you are over the draw bridge I would advise you to cross over so that you are on the side with a wide concrete path. You will be riding against traffic but you will be about a dozen feet in from the traffic. You will be much safer then if you ride with the traffic as there is only a narrow area to ride on on this side and the cars are right there with you. Now back to the Driftwood. You are within easy walking distance of various places to eat and shop. You are a short stroll from the beach. You can walk to the library to read or use the computers. This is a busy section of Gulf Drive though so you need to be careful crossing it on foot, or pulling out onto it if you are driving. When biking, try to stay off of Gulf Drive in this area as much as possible. Look at a map and plan your bike trip ahead of time. The motel is on the west side of the roadway, so you do not have to cross it to walk to the beach. There is a convenience store on Gulf Drive fairly near the motel. They have some items if you are in a bind. They actually have a better selection of Craft Brewed Beers then Publix.(in my opinion). They also have a good wine selection. The name of the store escapes me. For the money I think the Driftwood worked out just fine for us. I would be remiss if I did not point out that traffic noise could be a problem for some. As I said the island was packed as were the roads. If you are a light sleeper this could be a problem for you. It did not bother me as we slept quite well after a days exercise. I almost forgot. They have a very attractive small pool. It looked inviting but alas it was just too cold to sample. So, if you are looking for a clean, comfortable, friendly place to stay that will not hit your wallet to hard, then this may be the place for you. It is now on my list for the future.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sheltercove
Cardiff
Reviewed February 10, 2010

Good location on Gulf Drive. We liked having facilities to cook and everything was provided. The room was nicely decorated and we liked it so much that we went back! The price was reasonable for the Island. The only problem is that it's difficult - and dangerous - to pull out of the motel because it's on a bend. So take care at night. Oh and you can walk to the beach in 5 mins!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I used to live in Bradenton and frequented Anna Maria Island. When I went back on vacation down there last year, I stayed at The Driftwood Motel. It was $750 for the whole week. There were two huge beds in the room, a couch, a recliner, a kitchen, a bathroom, tv...it was just like being at home. Only have like 5 or 6 units, so using the pool is great!! Hardly anyone in it, because they're all down at the beach! There are 3 different sections to the motel, each housing two units for rent (can be seen in photo-one section). Beach is about a five minute walk (or less). Places to park if you don't feel like walking. White, sandy beaches!! Very secluded part of the beach!! Patty that runs the The Driftwood is great and will do anything to make you feel at home!! She has beach chairs, towels, and umbrellas for your use. She also has a grill and gives you the stuff needed to grill out by the pool if you choose!

2 Thank CARL99
#5 of 15 in Holmes Beach
Sunrise Garden Resort
Sunrise Garden Resort
#1 of 2 in Anna Maria

Been to Driftwood Motel? Share your experiences!