“All you can eat stone crab”
Review of Billy's Stone Crab

Billy's Stone Crab
Ranked #5 of 625 Restaurants in Hollywood
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Description: Waterfront Seafood Restaurant & Market in Hollywood Beach, FL Billy's Stone Crab Restaurant is known far and wide nationally and internationally as one of THE best seafood restaurant & market in the Ft. Lauderdale area. And for a good reason. Billy's two story fine dining seafood restaurant, is accessible both by elevator and stairs and has floor to ceiling captivating views of the Intracoastal Water Way in the main elegant dining room. The sunset is magnificent. And at night, when the draw bridge of Hollywood Boulevard is illuminated and the lights change colors, the view is quite spectacular, making the restaurant a preferred city spot. If you come sit on the dock or dine upstairs, you can watch this beautiful panoramic nature over the Hollywood Beach Marina. According to owner Billy Hershey, "It's very romantic. We have a comfortable atmosphere allowing customers to relax, look over the water and watch the boats pass by." Billy's Stone Crab Restaurant & Market is an ALL YOU CAN EAT* stone crab restaurant. We have ALL YOU CAN EAT* medium, large, jumbo and colossal stone crabs, stone crab dinners and ALL YOU CAN EAT* jumbo Alaskan king crab legs. Hershey says, "People come here and say Wow! Your crabs are better than Joe's. We will never say our crabs are better than Joe's. We will thank them for the greatest compliment that we can ever have."
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I love stone crab. LOVE IT! So after doing a bit of research in advance of my trip to Miami I determined Billy's to be one of a few places in the area that serves all you can eat stone crab. They don't take reservations, but do offer a call ahead/priority seating type service which I took advantage of. We arrived 10 minutes after the time I told them we would (thanks to Miami area traffic) and we were seated only five minutes after arriving. The dining room was full and people seemed to be enjoying themselves.

My dining companion and I both had the all you can eat stone crabs. There were two sizes to choose from (medium and slightly larger called "select") and we both chose the select. The stone crab were very good, served with house bread and traditional mustard sauce. The first plate brought out to each of us had about 12 claws. The second plates brought out had 9. I ate both my plates and had to surrender with an over full belly. My dining companion only made it through her first plate, so on the table sat a plate of 9 stone crab claws. We hinted that we would like to take them home by saying that we'd be happy to save them from the trash by taking them with us, but our waiter politely indicated he would get in trouble if he did so. We didn't want him to take that chance and said we understood. Our service was very, very good and as someone that doesn't drink and rarely orders dessert both my dining companion and I really appreciated that our waiter didn't flinch or act the slightest bit unhappy when literally all we ordered were the two all you can eat crab entrees. The single portion stone crab prices ranged from about $55-$100 depending on their size and ranged from portions of about 1lb-1.5lb's. The charge for the all you can eat select dinner was $86. (I think the medium sized dinner was $76) It did not include any sides or salad, so not the best deal when you can go to Trulucks on Monday nights for about the same amount of money and have unlimited sides and salads with your crab. In addition to stone crab, Billy's serves alaskan king crab that looked fantastic. They serve a very large three leg plus one claw cluster for $104.

GIven that we are staying in Miami as opposed to Hollywood where the restaurant is located and the fact that there are other places for stone crab charging about the same or perhaps a little less we won't return on this trip. That being said, it's a good place to enjoy shellfish.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,178)

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I love Billly's, and make it a point to go 2-3 times on my winter vacations from New York City. The staff are wonderful, and every item we have ever ordered is cooked to perfection. I have nothing negative to say!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

After reading reviews of Billy's, we decided to try it on our visit to Ft. Lauderdale. It is definitely not worth the hype, or the price. That isn't to say that it didn't succeed at times, but not often enough to justify the investment. Maybe my tastebuds were not up to snuff, but the stone crab claws were really quite tasteless ... not sweet or succulent the way crab should be. And, frankly, I have a problem with Billy's "signature" preparation ... cold with mustard sauce. I'm sure it enables them to prepare mass quantities ahead of time, but I like my crab at least warm. And, while the mustard sauce was delicious, it totally overwhelmed the taste of the crab ... I might just as well have been eating paper towels dipped in mustard sauce. There is a reason that restaurants from Alaska to Key West serve lobster and crab with simply melted butter and lemon. That's how they taste best. I wish Billy's had followed the tradition ... at least as an alternative.

On the plus side, the fried seafood platter was perfect -- with the exception of a somewhat dry piece of fish. Conch fritters were tangy and delicious. Conch chowder, on the other hand, was milk based, rather than the traditional veggie and tomato base. It was floury and did not do justice to the unique flavor of conch.

One of my all time least favorite restaurant trends is the restaurant that serves nothing with entrees so that everything -- from a cup of cole slaw to a few french fries -- is extra. That's the way it is at Billy's and they try to compensate by making sides so huge that they could serve four. We left more than half of our potatoes ... just a waste of food. The prices are so high here that they could throw some green beans and a little rice on the plate without making even a small dent in the profits. They would have a lot more happy customers.

One real non-food-related issue is the lack of parking. The lot was full with cars waiting and the attendant could offer notning better than to try to find a place across the street. For a place this large, they need a better system ... like a real valet or an arrangement with oen of the parking lots in the area.

Service started off well when we arrived and the restaurant was nor very full. By the time we left it was impossible to find a waiter. And, this was reflected in the gratuity ... sorry, but that's life.

All in all, it wasn't a bad meal, but for $75+ a person, you can do a lot better in south Florida.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We were recommended to come here after we asked our concierge where the best seafood restaurant in the area was. This place is quiet during lunch time and busy at night. The Stone Crab here is what they are famous for and are seriously the best!! We had the kind crab legs too.. ridiculous!! Biggest and freshest we ever had. Can't wait to come back when we are in the area!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Food was fantastic. Had stone crab for appetizer - amazing. Enjoyed tasting a few different dishes. Definitely old school, white linen, tuxedo service - it was impeccable. Cocktail menu is probably the only thing I believe needs a refresher - nothing innovative on the martini list, we felt like we were reading the drink menu at an all inclusive resort - it included blue hawaiians, some monkey drink that is their version of what I suppose is a dirty monkey?? that menu felt a little juvenile - but, not enough for me to stay away. While the food and service were amazing, I imagine, had the cocktail menu been a bit more inventive, we would have had a much more expensive evening but hey, sometimes it is just about the food.... which includes the KEY LIME PIE a MUST!
(One small detail - we originally were seated outside, the low-tide stunk so bad we actually asked to move inside)

1  Thank TexasTimes T