“It was an OK Hotel”

Hollywood Gateway Inn
Ranked #59 of 72 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed January 14, 2011

This is a budget hotel for sure. If you only use the hotel to sleep and shower then this is the hotel for you (make sure to ask for a renovated one as the old one stink!). Our first room was a renovated one but the refrigerator didn't work and they didn't bother to replace it. Then the next night we saw a huge cockroach! The next day we moved to a new room (also renovated) but this one didn't have a hair dryer and an iron.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank hatboys02

Reviewed January 7, 2011

My friends and I had a good time and the housekeeper was very nice. I don't quite remember what her name was but al i remember is that she wore glasses. We were stationed at room #209 and the housekeeper was sweet, she seemed like a classy lady and very clean, I guess you can say. But we really appreciated her hard work because i have a feeling how hard it would be to clean up after people you don't even know or what they may contain. I gotta admit she is a trooper. I will definitely come back and I'm sure my friends will too. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank HotelCritic1024
Reviewed December 29, 2010

I rented 2 units for a family of eight. Most villas I thought of renting would have exceeded my budget. This hotel was within my budget plans. The place is safe: close to the interstate: close to food places and shopping areas: wonderful and friendly staff always very accomodative. It also has a 24 hour secured entrance and exit. We spent 10 days at the hotel, and we had no regrets. The next time we visit Florida, we hope to return there.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I travel a lot. I am very pleased with the services i have been receiving. The staff Livia, Marsha, Greg and Regina and Paz (the Manager) are very friendly, and will help you any way possible. I find them to be very professional and helpful. The hotel also has a swimming pool.....very clean. I had also the opportunity to meet other guests who were very pleased as well with the services. Breakfast consists of cereal and milk and donuts.....perfect for me. The room was very comfortable, clean, towels looked good...not old and shabby looking. I love my kind bed....great sleep. No bugs....good air conditioning. I didn't have a microwave and fridge in my room and so i asked and within minutes someone brought them in and plugged them in as well. The hallway smells very fresh. The International Pancake House, Donut shop, Western Union and Shell (small food mart for snacks, beer, etc.) are just a block away or closer. There is Target, Radio Shack, Hair Salon, restaurants,....shopping mall within walking distance or cab fare is approximately 6.00 to get there. I was going to stay one week but decided to extend my stay here because of the services i am getting. They also have internet. I will be leaving in another week and already feel sad about leaving....like i say, i feel like I'm a part of their 'family'.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I have never written a review but this place has persuaded me to do so everywhere I go from now on. We were there last week for 7 days and there was nothing "wonderful" about this place. Since we arrived around 2:30PM it was bad business. We were greeted by a young girl that didn't look or speak professional. We were told check in was at 2PM but our room wasn't ready which she didn't even know. She told us10 minutes and 20 minutes later we had to tell her to give us another room which she was reluctant to give we us. This room still wasn't completely ready but after they finished it up we finally settled in. This room had a ripped shower curtain, splattered paint on the walls, a dirty bath mat, just terrible. Their so called "wonderful" continental breakfast consists of the same bag of Thomas raisin mini-bagels, donuts, and cereal everyday. The cream cheese was even frozen one morning. The back door remains open all night randomly and when it actually does lock, the card swipe doesn't work. I killed a waterbug one day which I'll let slide because it rained for 2 days but still is very nasty. Speaking of rain, the place smelled of mold and the ceiling leaked when it rained. The pool was clean but the chairs were old and broken. The housekeeping was the only good thing in that place because they were consistent. That "wonderful" Dominican restaurant is a joke! We tried to have dinner there to support the cause. We encountered the chef arguing with the waitress who was working alone on a Fri night!! We placed our order with one girl who left after the chef yelled at her. I clearly saw her place the order but after an hour later the waitress finally came over to check on us and ask if we wanted to place an order?! We were 1 of only 3 parties that were there so when she said she was by herself, I look around and asked her if she was joking. I told her we sat there for over an hour and she never once came by to even see if we wanted a refill! We definitely do not recommend this place. It has all the potential to be a nice, warm place bu the lack of professionalism will never let it get to that. That also applies to the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2010

We booked in a hurry and mistakenly read the reviews for another hotel with a similar name. If I had read these reviews, I wouldn't have booked a room at the Hollywood Gateway Inn. We were nervous when we realized that we had read the wrong reviews but when we saw the website, it looked nice and promising. Boy were we deceived! This hotel is shady in every sense of the world. Supposedly one would need the room key card to open the building's front door but ours was not even locked and the only time that it was locked, our card didn't work! Also, one night our card couldn't open our room and we had to go to the front office to fix the problem. The one night that it rained cats and dogs, the roof in the hallway was leaking and we had to be careful not to slip on the stairs (there are no elevators!). Our bed comforter was dirty and had holes in them. Our TV wasn't working properly and we couldn't use the remote because the sensor on the TV was broken. The place was so shady, there were constantly people loittering and yelling at each other and shirtless guys walking around the building. Just plain SHADY! The AC wasn't as cold as it should be in hot and humid Florida. The only good thing about this place is that it included a fridge and a microwave. Even so, STAY AWAY FROM THIS SHADY PLACE! We didn't see any children in this hotel and honestly, we understand exactly why. We wouldn't bring any child into this environment either.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2010

When I saw that my room didn´t have a refrigerator, I was told by the woman at the desk in the late afternoon, that none of the rooms had either. "There are no mini bars, but there´s a bar across the street". Honest. The "slightly older" woman at the desk in following morning said that she would have a refrig put in my room. No, they had no microwaves, which I didn´t need. I was in the office when she spoke to someone at 9:00. By 5:00 that afternoon the refrig hadn´t arrived. The woman, who checked me in kept telling me that the refrig would be delivered "in 5 minutes". I asked to speak to the manager and was told that he was in Colorado! It finally was sent at 6:30. On Saturday night apparently someone rented a room (or was given a key to a room bny an employee for a party. There was no problem, but I was a bit apprehensive. A security guard would be a good idea. The room was very attractive,, as was the bathroom; both were new. the location was very good, the breakfast was really good and the AM woman at the desk was really delightful.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo