“A hotel with a purpose!”

Hollywood Gateway Inn
Ranked #59 of 72 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I needed a hotel to spend the night as my new place was not yet ready. As I drove up I knew I DID NOT want to stay here, the environment alone was discouraging and the people that were hanging out there would drive fear into any individual, most of whom seemed as if they were renting rooms for sex. I did not have many other options at this last minute I thought I would at least hear what they had to say. I have to hand it to the agent at the front desk, she was super nice and the only reason I ventured further to even complete my booking and at the very least check out the state of the room. Upon entering the room I knew the toilet was broken as it was running continuously, I made my way back to the front desk and was given another room, well the air conditioning was broken in this one. That was it for me, tired, frustrated with a 2 year old after a long day in hot, sunny South Florida...thankfully I was able to get a refund.

Room Tip: Don't get a room here unless it's just for sex!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 29, 2012

As an overnight guest with an early Amtrak train the following morning, I was very happy to stay in this convenient location, and I found the accommodation perfectly satisfactory. I was welcomed graciously by the delightful receptionist who was helpful throughout. My room had all the amenities as offered in good working order and was clean and fresh with a little balcony with two comfortable chairs outside for smokers and/or fresh air fiends. My only complaint is that the breakfast was inadequate and of poor quality and that the person on desk duty in the morning lacked the charm and attentiveness of her lovely colleague of the previous day, but these are surely simple matters to address and did not detract too heavily from the overall enjoyment of my stay. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, especially to Amtrak travellers who can literally walk across from the station in a matter of minutes and enjoy a relaxing shower, a good TV selection, good wifi access and a comfortable night's sleep. The area is quite acceptable and as a solo traveller I felt perfectly safe.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 3, 2012

It is in our opinion after travelling 5 weeks in America staying in numerous luxury Hotels, that The Hollywood Gateway Inn deserves our Number One recommendation for location, public transport, smoking outside your room - with balcony, breakfast included in the price, coffee all day and tidy facilities.

At first and as time grew near; previous negative reviews had us really worried! However my choice was based on our needs to get to Miami Sun Life Stadium for Wrestlemania and Hollywood Amtrak Station.

After the initial travel weary and odd Hotel welcome was out of the way, we found our King Room (209 – facing the car park) as specified per website, comfortable, clean enough and appliances in fair working order.

Having stayed 7 days at the Hollywood Gateway Inn the place grew on us as did the staff by revealing their happier nature. YES, we could see that the place was a bit worn for its age, although painting, paving and gardening was in action. The pool area was tidy and Breakfast was a treat.

Furthermore, we relied on public transport; as per one example the No.7 bus ($14 - 7 Day Bus Pass or $4 - All Day) travelling East towards Young Circle you have all other bus connections taking you to Hollywood Beach – No.4, Aventura Mall – No.1 (South) connecting to Miami Beach area, Fort Lauderdale – No.1 (North) connecting to the Swap Shop is the – No.40.

Walking West along Hollywood Blvd. Hollywood Amtrak Station took 8 minutes and the nearest shopping area took a 20 minute leisurely walk.

N.B. The Hotel complex has two Security points of entry with your room key. The door situated midway is not secure, period! Thus a prerequisite to unwanted and or suspicious behaviour entering as stated in previous reviews. However we were not witness to anything untoward and this security breach did not affect our stay or safety.

We hope our review has been of help and assistance…
Australian :) Travellers

Room Tip: We had a KING Room (209) with balcony overlooking the carpark area where we could relax and smoke (a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ANGIE C
Reviewed April 11, 2012

This was a very great hotel to stay at.I was in Miami for Wrestlemania 28 on April 1st and the best part of my trip was the the stay at this hotel.The pool was great,rooms were clean and staff was helpful.I would recommend this Hotel to anyone and will definitely stay there again

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2012

This is about the worst hotel in the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood area. I am originally from Miami and lived in Fort Lauderdale for some time as well. I still have family that I come to visit from time to time which is why I was here. The only good thing I can say is that it was close to the Airport and that is about it. Some people will say it is close to the beach and I-95, and that does not say much, because there are numerous better hotels that are near the beach and I-95 and the airport. The room I stayed in was smokey and musty smelling and it was not clean. The carpet had not been vacuumed, the bathroom was dirty, I could see soap scum, and the location is in a rather crime riddled neighborhood. I would definitely not stay here again and I will look for another much better hotel for future stays.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I had a great experience with this hotel, as soon as I got there my room was ready, very clean and very spacious. The customer service rep was a sweet heart she made sure I was happy with my room, also I spoke with the manager he helped me get dinner reservations and shows at the Hard Rock. I needed some clothes done by a dry cleaners so they had Image Cleaners pick up and drop off the same day. I will recommand this hotel to anyone that comes to Hollywood Florida.

Room Tip: The southeast corner rooms are brighter and quitier
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2012

It was st. patricks day,no other vacancies were available while visiting the hospital.They charged us 79 bucks to stay in a filthy room w bullet holes in the walls,visible bed bugs on there poorly unmatching furniture,there were pictures missing from every wall,the sink was cloggin and filling up faster than I could use it.had to use my fingernail to use screw to get shower hot water.Not to mention the minute we put our keycard in the door,we heard 10 racoons just a goin at it outside,we looked and it wasnt animals at all, just 2 hookers fresh of ghetto street this place is located.I drove 9 hrs there and slept 2hrs surprisingly because I didnt even want to sit down.This place is not Safe or Clean by Any means,and should be reported to the CDC!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012