“Perfect location, great value”

Ramada Hollywood Downtown
Ranked #34 of 73 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed September 21, 2011

For the money, you won't find a more charming 2-3 star property in a better location. The main entrance sits on Harrison Street so you're not competing with Hollywood Blvd traffic; yet offers a back pedestrian entrance that deposits you right onto Hollywood Boulevard in the middle of the action. Parking is avail for a nightly $6-ish fee. Cheerful housekeeping staff. Note, skip the unimpressive hotel breakfast: instead visit the Chocolada Cafe directly behind the Ramada for hearty breakfasts and coffee under $10/person after 8 am. Some rusty fixtures in the bathroom, but otherwise the same stuff you'd see in many standard business hotels. It did have a good-sized in-room safe, large enough for the typical laptop and/or tablet. I'd reserved a "suite" - I had slightly more tiled floorspace with a couch and small table next to a lamp - but no physical division between it and the 2-bed carpeted sleeping area. I also had a mini-fridge, microwave and hairdryer. There is no pay-per-view, which was disappointing. I never figured out the wi-fi. And my keycards were inactivated DAILY despite the fact that I'd booked a 4-night stay (reactivated upon request - tho without an ID check). I had a great corner room on a higher floor. Unfortunately, the window with the downtown view was built of block glass that let in light and heat only. My in-room a/c easily kept the September humidity at bay, and the constant hum dulled most other noise. I could hear nearby doors opening/slamming and loud voices if near my room, but nothing from the pool/bar below. Room doors do open to the outside. Downtown Hollywood is a typical downtown area, so I wouldn’t stay there again as a single female traveler.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevator (east end) or stairway (west end).
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
DanielGM_RDH, General Manager at Ramada Hollywood Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Ms AEphoenixAZ, Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you found us. The hotel and surrounding downtown area is charming as you described it in your review. I apologize that your your room keys did not function properly and had we known about your wifi dfficulties our support team would have been happy to help.We are a downtown hotel but with a twist. Downtown Hollywood is the Arts and Entertainment district. Lots of resturaunts and night life. We are an open atrium style hotel with secured street access and we have nightly security and 24 hour staff. I understand your apprehension as single female traveler staying in a downtown hotel but perhaps our saftey procedures and saftey record will influence you in your decision about staying at our property again. Thank you again for your imput. We are available to you for future considerations for our hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,148)

Reviewed September 5, 2011

After reading other reviews here, I chose this hotel without great expectations., but the price was definitely right and it was very close to where I wanted to be. I am an experienced traveler-on-the cheap, so am pretty willing to survive most anything for a night. I was very happily surprised by the whole hotel experience. Parking- WONDERFUL attendant. The garage itself is very much like European garages, minimalist maneuvering space, but just enough so that even the old grandpa boat I drive fit neatly. Definitely worth the $5 to stash it as I only walked after that. The hotel is decidedly older and a bit worn., but it was clean, BIG plus. I saw numerous friendly staff always working on the place. I liked the layout (once I figured it out) and the pool and outside bar looked inviting. A good place to hang between outings. The whole staff was very nice and helpful. I felt welcomed and well-cared for. The room was deliciously COLD. Again, it was slightly worn but the bed linens were new and fresh and it was clean. Everything worked and I love having a fridge. The location is amazing. Right in the middle of this wonderful neighborhood filled with restaurants and live music and interesting places to wander into. In the future I will go down just to have a fun day and night in an interesting eclectic neighborhood. I will stay at this hotel again. It is so easy to just go back to it repeatedly during the day so you can come and go without major preparations.. Everything is walkable. This hotel will be the perfect fit for those who can live with a cracked floor tile in the bathroom in exchange for a location hard to beat!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

TSC_Travels, Thank you for your kind and discriptive review of us. Looking forward to accommodating your lodging needs again.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed in the Ramada for one night on a weekend in the summer. I was on the 6th floor. The location is unbeatable because you are in the middle of the nice bars and restaurants but only a dollar trolley ride from the beach. The trolley picks you up one block away on Van Buren street.
The free breakfast included eggs and many different kinds of pastries. We were very happy with it. There is an outdoor pool with a Tiki Bar.
Parking was not included with the price of the room, but its not too expensive. Paying for parking was not a big deal since the room price was very inexpensive.
The staff was friendly. I had no issues whatsoever. I stay in Motels about twice a month. I found the staff at the Ramada similar to all other motels.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear xx7xx, Thank you for your review of our hotel and the Downtown Hollywood area. We have so many great and exciting things here for you to enjoy as you mentioned. The Hollywood Trolley is a fantastic plus to the area. $1.00 gets you to the beach! No parking hassels!
Thanks for staying with us.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

This is "just" a motel but its location, just one block from a fantastic array of restaurants and shops (and only a short walk from a Publix supermarket) make it a terrific base camp for enjoying some night life. Next time we'll know not to accept a room that is anywhere near the elevator -- the alcove where the elevator is located amplifies every noise, and since the elevator is slow, people spend a lot of time gathered there and talking. The party-goers of course have to leave the elevator shouting, and the alcove seems to be where people choose to make their cell phone calls -- I suppose so they won't disturb their roommate's slumber. The continental breakfast is handy but it's in a room with a mercilessly blaring TV so you're forced onto the pool deck and out of the air conditioning to eat your cereal or bagel.
But, this not a destination resort, after all, so it's a great place to stay near places where you want to spend your time. Convenient base for catching the cruise ships or flights.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Great hotel, kept up and clean. The hotel is central to a lot of restaurants and night life within walking distance. Compared to other reviewers I did not have the noise problem, perhaps the AC drowned it out. The staff was friendly and nice, it was decorated nicely as well and updated.

The Wi-Fi did not work well for me on the sixth floor but ice machines were full and the breakfast was good too. They even have a tiki bar on the pool and cook light lunches and dinner. I did not get a chance to eat there but they were making hamburgers and it smelled so good.

Parking and be a problem and they do charge for it, it has two levels and very cramped. I drove a full size truck and believe me it can be a push, good parking and no parking fees would make this a 5 out of 5.

I would come back and stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Tachdriver
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We had a great experience. The hotel has personality. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We enjoyed the pool and the courtyard. Breakfast was good and had a good variety of quick breakfast foods including biscuts!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Close to all tha placesu will like to go, many amenities salo,gym,..Is only one word awesome

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business