“Not horrible for the price, but take a cab there...”

Days Inn Fort Lauderdale Hollywood/Airport South
Ranked #57 of 71 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I had a somewhat unexpected layover in Fort Lauderdale and went online to find a cheap hotel for the night. My criteria was only that they had shuttle service to the airport operating early enough for a 7:00am departure (5:00 am shuttle was preferred) since Lauderdale cabs are fairly expensive when compared to other cities (i.e. a 6 minute drive from the airport once cost me $24!). There were several hotels in the area that offered a free shuttle service to FLL but this hotel was the first (and cheapest) one that I found with a 5:00am departure - most other hotels didn't start until 6:00am, which was cutting it too close for me to make my flight.

I first attempted to call the hotel to verify their airport shuttle times, then asked if they had any rooms available for the night (seeing online that they did). Danielle said "no, no rooms." I asked if she was sure, and she affirmed that they had no rooms available for the night. Just for fun, I booked a room for the night online instead... Hoping to see Danielle when I arrived...

After booking the room, I immediately called the hotel back and requested a shuttle pick up at the airport. I was told that a Holiday Inn van does the hotels airport pick ups and I should look for it. This was at 2:15pm. At 2:45pm, several Holiday Inn van's had passed by, all of the drivers telling me that they are not the shuttle to the Day's Inn. I saw the shuttle for the Days Inn Airport North two times. I saw the Rodeway Inn shuttle four times. But no shuttle to the hotel I had booked. I called the hotel back. After five minuted on hold, Kem told me that the shuttle was on his way to the hotel from the airport, he would be back in about 20 minutes! So I waited again. At 3:25pm (1 hour and ten minutes after requesting the shuttle) the bus pulled up. The van driver seemed in a hurry. When I asked him to be careful with my luggage, he just shrugged and tossed my bag into the trailer attached to the back. Upon boarding the van, the driver informed the passengers that we had to wait for a large party at a different terminal. When the large party finally boarded, there were not enough seats for everyone. People were sitting on each other's laps! The driver then attempted to "get the party going" with everyone on board. He spent the drive making jokes on the PA system about where people on the shuttle were from; some of which were borderline racist. The driver was absolutely obnoxious; even at one point taking verbal jabs at the passengers who booked for the Days Inn rather than the Holiday Inn... It was brutal.

We finally arrived at the Days Inn at 3:50pm. I was happy to be disembarking the "shuttle ride from hell" and looked forward to speedy check in procedure. I had my credit card and ID out and ready as I approached the desk. Kem, the desk clerk, was efficient but never made eye contact. In fact, she asked me for my ID and credit card not realizing I had already put them on the desk in front of her. However, she did inquire about the van ride. When I told her what had transpired, she didn't respond, but had the look of "trust me, I know" on her face.

I never did get to meet Danielle.

The room was actually pretty nice. It had a refrigerator and a microwave, a large screen TV, the bedding seemed comfortable albeit a little out dated, and their were enough free plug outlets for all of my electronics. The TV was too large to fit inside the armoire, so it was NEXT to the armoire on a bench... The armoire was empty. This seemed like some poor planning on someone's part, but it didn't bother me too much... I did get a little disturbed though when I opened up the refrigerator. Inside was a half empty 2 liter of Mt. Dew! It was as if the housecleaning staff never bothered to look inside the fridge! I was thankful that it wasn't moldy food though - or worse... Although evidence of the housekeeping staff's shortcomings didn't end there... The next morning, I attempted to brew some in-room coffee only to find a used coffee bag of grounds still in the filter from a previous guest... The housekeeping staff's attention to detail is obviously lacking.

The free internet was outstanding! It was even faster than many of the "pay per use" Internets of the more lavish hotel brands. This was an unexpected pleasure!

Even though the hotel is located right next to a major expressway, the noise could not be heard in my room. I had a peaceful sleep (even on a busy Friday night). The wake up call the next morning was also promptly on time.

The shower controls were awkward, but the water was hot and remained so for the duration. The water pressure was also adequate. There were not a lot of towels in my room though. There were only two on the rack in the bathroom with a wash cloth and two hand towels by the sink. Plenty for one person (maybe two), but if you are staying with more than a couple guests it might be something to check on...

Checkout was speedy and simple, at 4:50am. I confirmed that there would be a 5:00am van and the desk clerk informed me it would be pulling up momentarily. This time, the van was a Days Inn shuttle, not the Holiday Inn monstrosity of the previous day. We departed the hotel around 5:15am and arrived at the airport by 5:30. This shuttle ride was thankfully uneventful.

The hotel itself was not a horrible experience as some other reviewers suggest. The shuttle WAS horrible, but taking that out of the equation, you pretty much get what you pay for. I would stay here again, but I would probably take a cab.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Fort Lauderdale Hollywood/Airport South

Reviewed January 15, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brownie024
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife, two younger children and I stayed for just one night prior to our cruise which left from Port Everglades.

Things got off to a bad start – I called them from FLL after we collected our luggage and was told the bus would be there in 10 to 15 minutes. 50 minutes later I gave up waiting and caught a taxi, which cost us 26 dollars. The Receptionist apologized for the lack of transport but offered no explanation. However as compensation she arranged for the children to travel for free to the cruise terminal the following day on the hotel's bus, which was a nice gesture.

The room was clean but a little squeezy for the four of us. Free Wifi worked fine. The breakfast was very simple fare but ok, however there was insufficient seating and tables for all the guests. (For dinner we ate at the Denny's restaurant next door.)

The hotel was fine for a one night stay but it would have been too small to stay longer with the family. I found a good deal through Myhotelguru so was happy in terms of value for money.

Would I stay again? Yes, if it was just for a one-nighter.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank walkabout59
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Days Inn hollywood satisfies all requirements of a 2 star hotel in its category. Beds were comfy. We met a bunch of people at breakfast which was decent, and overall everything else was satisfactory. Its an older hotel but kept in very good condition.

Room Tip: Book in advance to get the room you want. Avoid last minute bookings.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank RayKingston
Reviewed January 1, 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed here on our way home from a cruise. The hotel is older and right next to the highway. Our room faced the highway and it was noisy. Nothing special but if you are staying here for a night or two this fits the bill for the price. I would not want to stay all week. The airport shuttle was right on time and was a great benefit and a big reason we stayed here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollywood
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport
Holiday Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport
Quality Inn & Suites Airport / Cruise Port South
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/South Cruise Port
Ramada Hollywood Downtown
Ramada Hollywood Downtown
#34 of 71 in Hollywood
Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites

Been to Days Inn Fort Lauderdale Hollywood/Airport South? Share your experiences!