“Nice hotel, terrible shuttle mess”

Quality Inn & Suites Airport / Cruise Port South
Ranked #36 of 71 Hotels in Hollywood
Nekoosa, Wisconsin
“Nice hotel, terrible shuttle mess”
Reviewed February 12, 2009

The hotel itself was really nice. It is extremely clean, kept up very well. I find the website to be very misleading, as it makes it sound like the restaurant on site has a full menu, when all it serves is burgers and bagged chips. We were very tired from traveling all day on airlines, and we had to leave the hotel to find somewhere for dinner. We were supposed to get free drinks from the bar as we were part of the Snooze and Cruise package, and when I went to the front desk to get the coupons, it was like this big deal, had to show my room number again, and I had to go through that for all eight people to get their drink coupons! I made my reservations well over a year in advance for eight people! The shuttle experience was just awful! We were told we had to sign up right away when we got there, which we did. The hotel was so full, and so many ships were going out. The lady at the desk told me she would call out our names, and the name of our ship. She did niether, as I stood next to her waiting to hear our names. A bus shows up, people start getting on, and I wait. Soon the bus is almost full, and I said to her, what is the bus for? She says "The Freedom" which was our ship! She never called out anything, and if I hadn't asked,we would have missed it. Very disorganized,very upsetting!

• Liked — It was very clean, and well kept up. Felt safe also
  • Disliked — The shuttle service was a complete disaster!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Orange County, CA
Reviewed February 11, 2009

Van picked us up quickly outside of the airport - like others have said BE SURE TO READ THE SIGN because there are multiple Comfort Inns in the area! Driver got us there quickly, check-in was a breeze. The rooms are basic and the beds a bit too firm for me. It was so inexpensive that we didn't mind that they were kind of old and in need of refreshing (plus, we were only there for one night). The pool area has a fantastic vibe and people were out there all night at the bar and BBQ, mingling. This is a popular pre-cruise destination for a reason! It was nice to see people enjoying themselves out there.

The hotel also provides transportation to the cruise ports, but be advised that these can get quickly chaotic - bring your patience! Be sure to sign up the night prior for your preferred departure time, but also realize that there is no guarantee for departure time. We are easy going travelers, so it was no big deal to us, but we got bumped from the early departure to the afternoon and the others who were bumped were outraged. It took a good while to get everyone situated and then the bus driver that we got was confused and flustered and ended up going to the wrong terminal and stuck in horrible traffic. We all made it safe and sound, but if you like to arrive to your ship hours early, make arrangements for a private car service to the cruise port (I think the taxi estimate was $20-30 from the hotel).

Next door to the hotel are a Taco Bell and a McDonald's for quick dining and I think both are open late. I asked at the front desk where we could go to eat and the young man at the desk said he didn't really know because he didn't live around the area. The next day before we left, we walked over to Kmart and Old Navy in the adjacent shopping center and people there recommended lots of restaurants and cafes that were just beyond the shopping center. It's not a far walk, but it was too far to walk in the humidity for us, so we just got McD's breakfast and went back to the hotel.

We didn't return to the hotel after the cruise, so I'm not sure what the pick-up situation is for that. Although the hotel did offer a discounted rate on bus service to the airport that I wish we would have taken advantage of. The vans/buses at the cruise port were pretty expensive and hectic.

All in all, it's a nice enough little property for short-term stays. The pre-cruise atmosphere was great, so it's also an ideal place to meet your shipmates before departure.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
New Albany, IN
Reviewed February 8, 2009

This is our second stay at the Comfort Inn Airport/Cruise Port South. The first time we picked the hotel because we missed a flight from Ft. Laud to Andros Island, Bahamas. We just picked a close hotel that was inexpensive. We were picked up from the airport that day and dropped off the next free of charge and very timely. Being an inexpensive hotel, its not fancy, nor does it have lots of extras in the rooms. But, we had a great time there. The hotel has a nice pool with a pool-side bar and grill. It is also just a couple miles from the Hard Rock Casino. We mistakenly thought it was within 2-3 miles, so we walked there. Actually, it is about 5 miles. Oh well, we are fit and it added to the fun. There is also a great Cuban restaurant closeby where we had dinner.

All in all, our experience was so great that we planned to stay again this Jan. following a cruise. They picked us up from Port Everglade shortly after we cleared customs. Again we had an enjoyable stay. But, this time we took advantage of their shuttle service to Hard Rock. For $25 each, they drove us both ways AND we each received $20 gambling vouchers!! What more could you ask?

• Liked — The staff were great. Friendly and helpful. Also, the shuttle services offered.
  • Disliked — Nothing in particular
uk
Reviewed February 5, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights before our cruise and 2 nights a month later at the end of our holiday. Without doubt the best part of this hotel is the shuttle to and from the airport. It was there when we asked for it and took us back when required. The drivers were excellent. Be aware that for the shuttle to Port Evergaldes you have to book this the night before and places do fill up quickly. There is a charge of $8 pp if you want the shuttle to collect you from Port evergaldes post cruise and take you to the airport or back to the hotel. However this was far cheaper than a taxi and far cheaper than the fare the cruise ship were offering.
The hotel itself was ok. Our first 2 days we had a good room but a little noisy from tour coaches running thir engines at 7am in the car park. Pool was good and breakfast was ok, if a little chaotic at times. Room was very clean and housekeeping was good. Our second stay we had a poorer room. Clean but not restocked with coffee or cuops for day 2. The safe was also broken.
At both stays there was never any hot coffee outside breakfast time - it was always tepid. On both stays, apart from a couple of staff, the front desk staff could best be described as requiring customer service training or having a smile transplant (to give them one!!) however check in and out was swift and effecient.
Be aware that a lot of cruise people stay here and breakfast on the day a cruise leaves is BUSY.
If you want a pre cruise stay with a great shuttle service then its ok. If you want a holiday, go somewhere else.

• Liked — Shuttle service
  • Disliked — lack of 24 hr coffee as promised
Chicago,Illinois
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Would just like to tell other travelers staying in this area
(especially cruisers) that this hotel was superb! They
pick you up at the aiport,take you to the cruise port, have
a very nice breakfast in the morning. We haven't been to the
Ft.Lauderdale/Hollywood area for 25 years, so when I went on
line to book a hotel I didn't have a clue which one I was going to choose. I picked a winner and I actually booked it by reviews like this. The room was very clean, nice pool with tiki bar. It was
very relaxing and quaint. The lobby was very nice and it was very comfortable to just sit there and have a cocktail.
The staff was wonderful....everybody at the front desk were
very helpful and courtious with all of your needs. Sitting around the pool and tiki bar was very nice with other guest. They's
alot of stores and resturants walking distance.( K-Mart,
McDonald's, Burger King, Red Lobster and more)
The drinks at the tiki bar are very reasonable and the cook-out
grill by the pool the food is very good.
I was so happy I found this hotel to start our vacation off with!
I would suggest you book your room early because if you wait,
you won't get one because they have alot of returns and word
of mouth guest.
I'm a very picky person when it comes to staying at hotels but I
would defintley come back!!! The beds & pillows are very
comfortable also.
And one more thing.....There's a bellman there his name is
"Henry" he has been there for 38 years. They don't come any
better than him.

• Liked — The whole experience
1 Thank ualemp4502
INDIANA
Reviewed January 13, 2009

My husband & I had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. We arrived early on our check-in date and the front desk was very accomodating in finding a room for us to check into. She also was very helpful in making sure we had everything arranged with our rental car return so we could make our early flight the next morning without any problems.

I would definitely recommend this hotel with high marks! The rooms were very comfortable and clean and we would stay there again in a heartbeat. It is rare to find a hotel with such good customer service these days!

• Liked — GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE
  • Stayed December 2008
1 Thank SMITH1210
Reviewed January 8, 2009

We arrived in Ft. Lauderdale the night before our ship sailed to ensure we would not miss the trip, and were very pleased with the proximity of the hotel to Port Everglades, and the fact that they provided 1) transportation from the airport to the hotel, 2) a full breakfast the next morning, and 3) transportation to Port Everglades. What surprised us was how delicious that full breakfast was - freshly made waffles, rolls, sausage and gravy over biscuits, etc., etc.

The room was clean, nicely decorated, and the mattresses were very comfortable. The people behind the desk and the porter were friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel, and my husband and I will return whenever we have the opportunity.

Next time I hope to stay longer so I can enjoy the pool and hot tub.

• Liked — Cleanliness, comfort of beds, breakfast
  • Disliked — Need more help/personnel in the breakfast area.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Beauby09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollywood
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport
Days Inn Fort Lauderdale Hollywood/Airport South
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/South Cruise Port
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
Comfort Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South & Cruise Port
Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Airport / Cruise Port South? Share your experiences!